Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

which pistol to get

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by yotehunter, Nov 25, 2008.

1. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

I am in the process of selling my Glock 31c the biggest reason is because I don't want the full length any more. also the .357 sig is a hard and expensive caliber to find. I do have dies to reload it but I get kinda lazy and I like to shoot a lot so I end up buying more and more ammo. Now I am thinking of getting a .40 but am open to other ideas it will be my carry gun and I enjoy going to the range a couple times a week. So I am debating between Glock again, Springfield XD, Sig, or possibly HK. I know i will probably stir up a mess but which do you think is the best way to go.

2. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

That really depends on a lot of factors but my generic response is to get a Glock 19. I believe it is the all around best option for the widest variety of uses and people.

3. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Oregon City, OR Member

I've got a Glock 23. Smaller than the 31 and more power than a 9mm. Holds 13 rounds. Recoil is a bit snappy, but probably similar to .357 Sig.

Other ones are nice too.

I suppose whether you get another Glock depends on how you like them.

4. PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake Newberg New Member

Try .40 before you buy. Its not as pleasant to shoot as 357sig.

5. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

what do you mean it is not as pleasant to shoot? i have owned .40 before a glock 26 and a sig 226 both in .40 and the .357 sig is way more powerfull with more recoil and more boom. but i am trying to get everyones opinion on the brands and the calibers. also i have a .44 mag and a .357 mag so i might consider a 9mm

6. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

you know what ever your going to get try to see if you can rent it at a range or borrow one from a friend so you know your getting something you wish you didnt down the road.

7. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

Just my .02, but I think all the brands you posted are fine, just depends on what you prefer.

As for caliber, and based on what you said about wanting to shoot it a lot, but also carry it, I say 9mm. Ball ammunition from Wal Mart is about as inexpensive as you're going to find for plinking/target shooting and then you can stoke it up with good "personal defense" ammunition to carry in it and never feel under gunned.

As I'm a Glock guy, I'd recommend the G19 also. Great pistol (you already know that having had a Glock already). Small enough to conceal, but large enough to shoot comfortably on the range. Really a jack of all trades.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

You should be able to by another barrell for your glock and turn it into a 40. Your mags will work.

jj

9. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Oregon City, OR Member

While that is a good recommendation, he also stated that he wanted something smaller than the full size Glock 31.

But if the OP wanted to know, the stock Glock 22 barrel will fit the 31. The only diff between a 31 with a .40 barrel and a 22 is the number on the slide.

10. PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake Newberg New Member

Just my experience of my H&K 357sig vs .40SW Glock.
    With decent .40SW ammo the recoil is sharper.