Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which one should I get?????

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jdub, Sep 21, 2009.

1. jdub

jdub Springfield Member

Umarex M4 AR15 .22 -- Gsg-5 -- or the S&W M&P 15-22....???? Have read lots but have not found any to stand out... if I'm gonna spend 5-600 then I want to be as sure as possible (things happen) that I am getting the best for my money...
    Thanks to all who respond...
    J

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. jdub

jdub Springfield Member

someone has to have an opinion???

3. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

none....get the SIG522LR!

4. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

I have only looked at them so it is only what I have noticed.

S&W. Plastic lower and stock are one unit. I believe that you can put different stocks over the tube. Looked the cheapest of all. But priced the lowest.

GSG-5 Had problems in the beginning but I have not heard of much lately.

Colt (Umarex) Looks like the stock, forearm, carry handle and grip can all be replaced with different items. ( I do sell this firearm at $499)

And it depends if you want an HK look or a Colt. That would be the biggest factor to me as all of us will give you different reasons why one is better over the other one.

5. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

Don't forget the ppsh .22lr or the .22lr ak, if you're just looking for a cool plinker...

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Ruger 10/22 bimart $160 Ftw!

7. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Have you shot one yet? I looked at them and they do look pretty cool. It was a prototype so we did not have any experience on them.

8. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

If you have an AR, why not a 22 upper? Cheaper option.

9. jdub

jdub Springfield Member

I am looking for something that would be dedicated... I have 2 10/22s and love both... but looking to get something else... a few forums that I have read said that the S&W will shoot any ammo with little malfunctions but is not accurate, where as the umarex is accurate but can be un reliable with all ammo, i have not seen any bad reviews on the gsg but also dont know how accurate it is... looking to do shooting from 75 to 250 yds...

please keep the comments coming...

10. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

looking to do shooting from 75 to 250 yds...

Why not just but a .17 and a decent scope if you are planning doing that kind of distance. Savage .17-$200 or a little less, then you have 300 to spend on a scope and plenty of ammo. Just my thoughts

11. Trlsmn

Cheap common ammo!

12. Thule

Thule Monroe, WA Member

I'd say "none of the above" and get a Spike's 22 upper. Much higher quality and it would only be a little more if you wanted to buy a dedicated lower for it.

13. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

When is the last time that you saw .22lr on the shelf at bimart? :D

14. Trlsmn

True that! :p

15. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I have 2 gsg-5's and the new colt umarex. I have dumped close to 2000 rounds down the tube of the gsg's without a single problem (other than dirty ammo, and at that point it jams). But with clean ammo, not a single problem. They are very accurate, light and puts my ruger 10/22 to shame. A rifle I will be keeping for a long time.

The umarex is a good rifle but as like any other AR platform you have to keep it clean to function properly. Certain ammo you will have problems with and you have to dissamble the gun to adjust the bolt speed. I know the umarex's dont like remington ammo at all. Well, at least mine doesnt.

I would say stay away from the S&W rifle unless you like the feel of a cheap rifle. When I was buying my umarex I had the colt and the S&W side by side and just the feel of the colt was sooooo much better in the quality department. But, it was also $100.00 more than the S&W. The girlfriend was wanting the S&W (price) but I decided on the colt (quality).

If it were me looking for another 22, then I would be buying another gsg-5.

16. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Ooh Bi-mart, Bi-mart. I know a store that has 60,000 rounds of 22lr.

Hint: Somewhere in Sweet Home.

17. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

Why another .22 ? Go for a .17 hmr EXTREMELY fun to shoot and deadly accurate with explosive results. :twocents:

18. jdub

jdub Springfield Member

really looking for the .22 and in a semi auto... otherwise I would get something like a 77/22 bolt action... had a .17 and liked it but just not going that rout now...

Thanks for the comments they are great and am leaning towards the GSG...

Not totally decided yet though so if anyone has more to add, by all means type away...

19. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

As someone who owns both a 10/22 and a GSG-5 I can say they are both fun in their own ways. And my .17 HMR is a blast as well... :D

Did you ever resolve the issue with which to get??

20. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I vote for the dedicated upper. I think the massive number of AR "look alikes" have driven the price down. I got a Tactical Solutions upper from JC for $475 delivered and have about $700 total into the gun, by buying parts that were left over from the recent "frenzy". Yeah it's about $200 more than a Umarex M4 AR15 .22 -- Gsg-5 -- or the S&W M&P 15-22, but I'm also only about $400 from being able to shoot 5.56 though this also. How much would it cost to convert the Umarex M4 AR15 .22 -- Gsg-5 -- or the S&W M&P 15-22 to shoot 5.56? If you want the look and feel of an AR, why not buy an AR that shoots .22lr?

BTW, I see Coctailer is selling American Tactical M422 .22 uppers for $369, I'd bet you could build a COMPLETE .22lr AR for $500 starting with this upper.