JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Umarex M4 AR15 .22 -- Gsg-5 -- or the S&W M&P 15-22....???? Have read lots but have not found any to stand out... if I'm gonna spend 5-600 then I want to be as sure as possible (things happen) that I am getting the best for my money...
Thanks to all who respond...
J

Last Edited:
I have only looked at them so it is only what I have noticed.

S&W. Plastic lower and stock are one unit. I believe that you can put different stocks over the tube. Looked the cheapest of all. But priced the lowest.

GSG-5 Had problems in the beginning but I have not heard of much lately.

Colt (Umarex) Looks like the stock, forearm, carry handle and grip can all be replaced with different items. ( I do sell this firearm at $499)

And it depends if you want an HK look or a Colt. That would be the biggest factor to me as all of us will give you different reasons why one is better over the other one.

Umarex M4 AR15 .22 -- Gsg-5 -- or the S&W M&P 15-22....???? Have read lots but have not found any to stand out... if I'm gonna spend 5-600 then I want to be as sure as possible (things happen) that I am getting the best for my money...
Thanks to all who respond...
J

If you have an AR, why not a 22 upper? Cheaper option.

I am looking for something that would be dedicated... I have 2 10/22s and love both... but looking to get something else... a few forums that I have read said that the S&W will shoot any ammo with little malfunctions but is not accurate, where as the umarex is accurate but can be un reliable with all ammo, i have not seen any bad reviews on the gsg but also dont know how accurate it is... looking to do shooting from 75 to 250 yds...

please keep the comments coming...

looking to do shooting from 75 to 250 yds...

Why not just but a .17 and a decent scope if you are planning doing that kind of distance. Savage .17-$200 or a little less, then you have 300 to spend on a scope and plenty of ammo. Just my thoughts

I'd say "none of the above" and get a Spike's 22 upper. Much higher quality and it would only be a little more if you wanted to buy a dedicated lower for it.

I have 2 gsg-5's and the new colt umarex. I have dumped close to 2000 rounds down the tube of the gsg's without a single problem (other than dirty ammo, and at that point it jams). But with clean ammo, not a single problem. They are very accurate, light and puts my ruger 10/22 to shame. A rifle I will be keeping for a long time.

The umarex is a good rifle but as like any other AR platform you have to keep it clean to function properly. Certain ammo you will have problems with and you have to dissamble the gun to adjust the bolt speed. I know the umarex's dont like remington ammo at all. Well, at least mine doesnt.

I would say stay away from the S&W rifle unless you like the feel of a cheap rifle. When I was buying my umarex I had the colt and the S&W side by side and just the feel of the colt was sooooo much better in the quality department. But, it was also $100.00 more than the S&W. The girlfriend was wanting the S&W (price) but I decided on the colt (quality).

If it were me looking for another 22, then I would be buying another gsg-5.

really looking for the .22 and in a semi auto... otherwise I would get something like a 77/22 bolt action... had a .17 and liked it but just not going that rout now...

Thanks for the comments they are great and am leaning towards the GSG...

Not totally decided yet though so if anyone has more to add, by all means type away...

As someone who owns both a 10/22 and a GSG-5 I can say they are both fun in their own ways. And my .17 HMR is a blast as well... :D

Did you ever resolve the issue with which to get??

I vote for the dedicated upper. I think the massive number of AR "look alikes" have driven the price down. I got a Tactical Solutions upper from JC for $475 delivered and have about $700 total into the gun, by buying parts that were left over from the recent "frenzy". Yeah it's about $200 more than a Umarex M4 AR15 .22 -- Gsg-5 -- or the S&W M&P 15-22, but I'm also only about $400 from being able to shoot 5.56 though this also. How much would it cost to convert the Umarex M4 AR15 .22 -- Gsg-5 -- or the S&W M&P 15-22 to shoot 5.56? If you want the look and feel of an AR, why not buy an AR that shoots .22lr?

BTW, I see Coctailer is selling American Tactical M422 .22 uppers for $369, I'd bet you could build a COMPLETE .22lr AR for $500 starting with this upper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top