JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to buy four additional 8 round mags for my SR1911.

I currently have the two stock Ruger mags and two additional Chip McCormick Shooting Star SS 8rd mags.
The Rugers and CMs have performed flawlessly for me so far.

I am trying to decide between buying four additional Chip McCormick Shooting Star SS 8rd mags or four Kimber KimPro Tac-Mag SS 8rd mags.

The shipped cost is $6 more for the 4 Kimbers.

Which would you select between these two choices and why? :confused:

Thanks, :s0155:

Jim

I would say Checkmates but I do not know squat about SR's...

A little research can save you some headaches. The type of follower you pick is part of the right mag also in the 1911 platform. My one SA LW Loaded does not like the Kim Pro's

Lot a info here: <broken link removed>

I would say Checkmates but I do not know squat about SR's...

A little research can save you some headaches. The type of follower you pick is part of the right mag also in the 1911 platform. My one SA LW Loaded does not like the Kim Pro's

Lot a info here: <broken link removed>

Thanks,

i have read quite a bit on both the CMs and Kimbers.....just looking on thoughts about these two mags.

I bought a couple of the kim tac-pro mags for my Kimber, and it did not seem to like them one bit. Could not get the first round to chamber unless I was pushing up on the bottom of the mag while releasing the slide. Finally gave up and bought CM and Wilson combat mags. Both work great, but I like the Wilsons better overall.

I run Wilson ETM's

The problem with a lot of today's 1911's, they seem to be picky about the magazines that will allow them to reliably function.

Stick with a competent magazine maker...Wilson, Checkmate, Metalform & McCormick...and of course Colt orginal GI magazines. But beware of Colt fakes, there's a lot of them out there.

Been down this road, bought about 2 of every brand. Shot them in 5 different 1911's, Mec Gar is in my opinion the best for the money, hell best for any money. You can't go wrong.
Try these, the anti friction coating is sweet:
<broken link removed>

Jim

I'm done experimenting with magazines. I've got a pile of them that I should sell for cheap, but can't in good conscience. Some of them I bought because they were a bargain and some because they were supposed to be 'the best'.
The ones I use exclusively are Cobra Mags by <broken link removed> . They always function properly.
A good point to consider is that the magazine is an integral part of the pistol. It is no less important than the recoil spring, trigger or hammer, etc.. If you want your pistol to function reliably, don't put junky parts in it.
B

I run chip McCorkmick Power Mags (2 of them) and several Kimber Tac-Pro. I have no problems with them. I have ACT but I find that to be less then a 100 percent reliable.

P.S. Triple k is the top of the heap. The GARBAGE HEAP.

I'm done experimenting with magazines. I've got a pile of them that I should sell for cheap, but can't in good conscience. Some of them I bought because they were a bargain and some because they were supposed to be 'the best'.
The ones I use exclusively are Cobra Mags by <broken link removed> . They always function properly.
A good point to consider is that the magazine is an integral part of the pistol. It is no less important than the recoil spring, trigger or hammer, etc.. If you want your pistol to function reliably, don't put junky parts in it.
B

+1 on Tripp

If you are using the 1911 to protect your life, why would you not get the best you can?

Spend the most you can, throw the retailer a few extra bucks. Then you will be sure of getting the best, right?

Sarcasm aside, I have used G.I. mags from vietnam era with the NSN stamped on the bottom, never a problem. If you are concerned about capacity you shouldn't be shooting a 1911 anyway.

My first 1911 was a Kimber and the only local mags I could find near me were KimPro TacMags 8 rds (from Discount Guns and Sams) with the thin tap pad on the bottom. Since I've gotten two more 1911's and have picked up 4 total 8 rd KimPro mags. I have had very good luck in both the Kimber and the Springfields with them. Also have 2 Colt mags. No difference in feed or performance though the KimPros feel a little heavier than the Colts though maybe not as heavy as the Springfield mags.

If you cannot find good magazines locally, order them. It is not worth your time, money, or life to run junk.

Wilson and Brown are the best in the business.

The Wilson 47D's are very good magazines. The #500 ETM's are better. They have a longer and stronger tube and feed lips than the 47D's and a lengthened skirt on the follower.

Wilson 47D

Wilson #500

<broken link removed>

Thanks for all the thoughts.
I ordered 6 Checkmate 8 rounders which appear to be identical to the Ruger 8 round mag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top