JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Already have a. 44 mag Ruger vaquero revolver, like it... But it does bite with magnum loads and ive been lookin for a DA revolver to carry round while hunting... Wondered what this community thought of all the different brands out there... Got no bias or budget... Just want the best one for my cash, brandname isnt important but function/reliability and accuracy is...
Pros and cons of the various models would be nice also personal experience would help alot.

I have an S&W R8 that I love. This has been the easiest handgun to point naturally and hit my target than even my old 6.5" Blackhawk. It has a 5" barrel and rails for a scope, laser or light. It is a pleasure to shoot, I can shoot all day and have any stiffness in my hand. Oh, and it holds 8 rounds. :)

Good luck,
Ray

Since you are already used to 44 magnum loads, I'd go with a ruger redhawk in 44 magnum. They are virtually indestructible and will accept any 44 magnum loads you are man enough to shoot through it. And they are quite affordable as far as big bore pistols go. As a general rule, single action revolver frames are smaller in the grip than most large frame double action revolvers. So the recoil is much more manageable in the d/a revolver.
Just my .02.

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/models.html

S&W 629 5"
It balances good, looks good, is accurate, and is light enough for packing around if you're worried about running into disgruntled bears or morbidly obese meth addicts.

Rugers are stronger and offer more bang for the buck than smiths do, but they're way bigger, uglier, and heavier.

I am really partial to my 1955 vintage Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman. The model 28 with a 4 inch barrel is a excellent "all around" revolver. The .357 magnum cartridge is very versatile, not to mention you can shoot .38 special's from it as well.
Andy

I am really partial to my 1955 vintage Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman. The model 28 with a 4 inch barrel is a excellent "all around" revolver. The .357 magnum cartridge is very versatile, not to mention you can shoot .38 special's from it as well.
Andy

UNDERSTAND, You want the "best" despite of the rest. Had them both and the DW is abetter gun, in my opinion,

S$W is like Colt. Bet the name, without the fame. Good luck with your search.

Just want the best one for my cash, brandname isnt important but function/reliability and accuracy is...
Pros and cons of the various models would be nice also personal experience would help alot.

Model 29/629 S&W has the fit and finish, good accuracy, Good choice of barrel lengths, best resale. You well need to keep the screws tight if you shoot heavy loads.
Ruger RH/SRH has a good finish, good accuracy, is large and heavy and well digest about any load you give it. Big ugly revolver.
Dan Wesson great fit and finish, best accuracy of the three and the strength of the RH, many models to choose from as far as barrel length, lug length, vented, ported.

One of each is the correct approach.

Sooo... not to offend anyone or start a rukus... but how come no one has mentioned the best performing outdoor revolver... the Taurus Tracker???... (He said sarcastically knowing the fire he had started under the panel of judges...)
Ive heard alot of good things about these Tracker series revolvers from Taurus... but idk, havent owned one so I really cant have an opinion... During my time at a gun shop, we saw alot of em come back for warranty, not necessarily the Tracker series but... still...

I do like the looks of the Redhawks.... just something about em grabs my attention... I do believe Smiths are sexier... but that doesnt always prove reliability, even the best Supermodel gets tired.... Havent looked to much at Dan Wessons because not to many places near me sell them... Where are they made these days? I remeber the old models were US made, are the new ones Imported?

Also to be more clear... the revolver needs to be chambered for .44 mag... seeing as how I have what seems like a pallet of it left...

Taurus's aren't a good revolver.They aren't a gun I would ever buy.
Say what you will,I've had a few and sold them shortly afterwards because of the quality.

Ruger is probably the strongest revolver (so say the hand loaders I know)

But S&Ws are by far the nicest looking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads