JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might need to shoot a pissed off elk. The previous owner did when one was in rut and decided to charge. I do not believe there is a bad choice here. Although I am leaning towards the Anaconda as local dealers stock them. I normally buy used, but would happily go new for a good one. Though no rubber grips stay.
I absolutely LOVE my Anaconda, my only gripe was NOT getting one Way Back When, before they were so damn spendy! Still, Mine is about as good as it gets, and after some dry fire practice, she has one of the sweetest triggers of any revolver I have ever owned! I don't think You would regret getting an Anaconda!

I have small hands, short stubby sausage fingers. I think a 7.5 inch span for reference. I am talking upper end of standard pressure as I do not want to have to worry about 2 different heat levels getting mixed up.
The 629-3 or -4 in the Classic version with 5" barrel would give you the weight needed to make it easy to shoot any standard pressure .44mag load, so it would be ammo-compatible with your Desert Eagle. And the round butt of the Classic means it is compatible with any modern grip, both round or square butt. Including the small grips designed for max concealability with 3" N frame revolvers. So you should have no trouble finding a grip that fits your hand.

With the Anaconda sounds like the grip may be the main issue. There do seem to be smaller grips available now than what my gun came with.

The 629-3 or -4 in the Classic version with 5" barrel would give you the weight needed to make it easy to shoot any standard pressure .44mag load, so it would be ammo-compatible with your Desert Eagle. And the round butt of the Classic means it is compatible with any modern grip, both round or square butt. Including the small grips designed for max concealability with 3" N frame revolvers. So you should have no trouble finding a grip that fits your hand.

With the Anaconda sounds like the grip may be the main issue. There do seem to be smaller grips available now than what my gun came with.
I can make grips. Probably will at some point. I will keep the options open. Knowing which Smiths are viable is useful. Thank you.

If you buy or make only .44 ammo that is compatible with your DE you may be missing out on the best loads for SD against large dangerous animals, which are heavy round flat nose hard cast bullets with very wide meplats (flat part of tip) and sharp edges on the meplat section. These give maximum penetration and minimum deflection . Unfortunately, ammo with such bullets will not usually feed in semiautos. So bear loads and other loads for stopping dangerous critters in semi autos like the 10 mm normally have smaller than normal meplats with rounded edges. That is, they are kinda like a compromise between a standard bear load bullet and a standard round nose bullet. Round nosed bullets are notorious for poor penetration because they deflect on bone. And for doing little damage compared to flat nose bullets as they pass through flesh.

You might want to carry your revolver with ammo having bullets optimised for SD against bear and other large dangerous animals. And use your DE ammo in the revolver just for plinking and small game hunting, not for woods carry or medium or big game hunting.

I've owned two 44 Mag revolvers. An "Old Model" Super Blackhawk and a Smith and Wesson Model 69 4.25". IF, big if, I was to buy another, the 69 is probably what I'd be after. I don't care for long barreled revolvers, especially if I am carrying one in a holster.

In general I am thinking it would be fun to have a wheelgun in .44 mag. The desert eagle in .44 mag is fun, and tends to require hot loads. Most of my wheelguns are Rugers. I am open to S&W, and Colt and Ruger and higher end. I tend to run my loads hot and this could theoretically be used on bear, moose or elk if they get aggressive. the fact that this will share loads with a DE makes me lean towards a Ruger, but I also enjoy the more refined revolvers. This would be a step down in power from the 454 I currently carry around the property.

I would prefer a 4-5 inch barrel as the length of barrel makes it a slower draw on the ruger.
Try a Colt Anaconda. Smooth like a Python.

DE owners manual specifically says do not use unjacketed lead bullets. long time ago i had to open a customers 44 that was frozen shut by lead buildup on the gas piston.(just sayisspeople s
Good bear loads are hardcast. They don't foul barrels like soft cast lead bullets do. They may not foul barrels any more or much more than jacketed bullets. I think the main issue In using hardcast bear loads in a DE would be that most of the bear load bullets designed for revolvers with wide meplats with sharp edges don't feed reliably in semiautos. If the bullets are hardcast and feed reliably in your DE without deforming or clipping metal off the bullet my guess is that your particular DE will do fine with bear loads. If your DE smashes or clips bullets its probably also going to sometimes jam from the bullets not cycling exactly right or the hardcast metal debris in the action. And the shooting precision certainly won't be helped if different bullets have different suboptimal shapes before they leave the muzzle.

It's interesting that @Wombat of Doom can shoot bear loads just fine in his DE. This means its at least possible in some DEs. It doesn't necessarily mean that all DEs can do it. From what I've read, many lever action rifles in .357, .44, or .45 can't feed bear loads reliably. And many can. It seems to have to do with the individual gun rather than the make or model. Its enough of an issue so that people praising their favorite .357, .44, or .45 lever gun frequently explicitly state whether it also shoots round nose flat point bullets and/or Keith style bullets.

A Ruger Redhawk 4" Or 5.5" might work for you if the grip fits your hand. Grip options are very limited on the Redhawk. I owned one for a while and sold without ever firing. Was unable to find an appropriate grip.
Sure wish the Ruger Super Redhawk came with a 4-to-5 inch barrel, but leaps all the way from the snubby 2.5" Alaskan to 7.5" and nothing in between (save a 5" 454). Otherwise a fine tool in 44 mag.

I am a S&W wheel gun fan. I have a few 629 with various barrel lengths. The 6 inch is fun to shoot but long to draw out of a holster. I bought a 4 inch barrel but it has a lot of recoil over the 6 inch gun. I have since bought the 5 inch barrel and really love it. I don't feel it gives up anything from the six inch barrels and is a lot nicer to shoot than the 4 or 3 inch guns.
Good luck with your choice.

I am a S&W wheel gun fan. I have a few 629 with various barrel lengths. The 6 inch is fun to shoot but long to draw out of a holster. I bought a 4 inch barrel but it has a lot of recoil over the 6 inch gun. I have since bought the 5 inch barrel and really love it. I don't feel it gives up anything from the six inch barrels and is a lot nicer to shoot than the 4 or 3 inch guns.
Good luck with your choice.
Good to see another SW revolver fan here.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 5" 629 Classic so much. (The only 5" 629 SW makes is the 629 Classic.) The 5" 629 Classic weighs within a fraction of an ounce of the same as the 6" 629 standard. (45.6. oz vs. 46.3 oz.) However the Classic has a full length heavy under lugged barrel that moves a disproportionate amount of the weight out near the muzzle. That design really gobbles up recoil. And gives the gun a decidedly muzzle-heavy feel I really love.

I agree with you about the 4" 629s. If I had one I would likely only shoot it with .44sp.

Love my 629 Classic 5in perfect length anything shorter would be a bit spicy with the 300+ gr ! I even carried mine ccw with two speed loaders a bit heavy sure but nice to know it is there for you .

Persoanl experience with .44 DA- 4" Smith 629- nice handling, balance, seemed not as sturdy as the 5.5" Ruger Redhawk. Redhawk, built like a brick lavatory, but like most Ruger revolvers it seems a bit heavy. When I got it years ago I was into hammer-hand hot loads and the Smith didnt impress me as being as stout.. My hand-hammer days are in the past but I like being able to use the same beefed up loads for carbine and revolver.
No experience with the Desert Eagle, as a crew-served sized pistol isnt to my taste. I'd like to try an Anaconda sometime but for what I use a revolver for, the Red does just fine. The 4.2" Red interests me but.. nah, not at this stage unless maybe if I found a used one..
Never cared for the single-actions tho the SuperB seems to handle hot .44 pretty good... Ya'lls MMV!

Last Edited:
And the Anaconda followed me home today. I need new grips.

Need, not want if I am not wearing gloves as the current grips have the capacity to kill me.

And the Anaconda followed me home today. I need new grips.

Need, not want if I am not wearing gloves as the current grips have the capacity to kill me.
That's the thing about good revolvers. They seem to be like wands in Harry Potter. They seem to do the choosing, at least in part. They can make you completely forget about whatever you were intending to buy when you came into the store or gun show. I won't even tell ya what Thumper, my 9.5" Super Redhawk crooned to me when I tried to pass him on the way to buy something else.

I always put rubber grips on my .44s. With my 6" Anaconda with rubber grips I could shoot .44 mag ammo up to about 1000 ft. lbs. without the gun stinging my hands. Above that it did sting, and I wore a light weight cotton mitten on my hands. The sting wasn't bad. But that sting represents nerve damage, temporary or permenent. Unpredictably.
Iably. I don't mess with it. I only shot standard pressure .44mag in my Anaconda. Up to about 1200 ft. lbs. However, according to the info at Buffalo Bore Cartridges, the Anaconda is fine with their .44mag +P loads.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews