JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have spent the last several months trying to put together a well rounded gun collection. I have a couple of revolvers, a couple of semiautomatics, a 10/22, a deer rifle, 12 and 20 gauge shotguns, and a couple of others.

I think I have all the basics. Now, I want to start researching an assault rifle before our commander and thief makes it impossible.

I do not know where to start. I am looking for opinions. What do you all think?

.223, .308, etc

AR15, AK, SKS, Ruger Mini 14, etc.

I really do not know.

I should add that I do not have a lot of cash, and will have to keep the price as low as possible. It will take a little while to scrape together the cash, so price is a bit of an issue.

Thank you all for your input.

What do you like and why?

If you get this "assault rilfe", will you be able to feed it? just something else to think about.

btw, what is "i dont have alot of cash" it terms of US Dollars? your "i dont have alot of cash" maybe enough to get an SKS.

SKS are great and cheap.
Ammo can be hard to find though unless you want to buy it by the can or case.
AK74s are about double in price but shoot the cheapest ammo, its not as hard to find and is cheaper, but again be prepared to buy it in bulk for a deal.

I believe you want a "black rifle" or a "military style" rifle. The headline of "Portland man trying to buy assault rifles" is ringing in my head!

I like the challenge of searching out the parts and putting together an AR. With a few tools and some research, you can save some dollars. I can't comment on the AK's.

Note to local police: I don't have any guns, I don't have any ammo, no need to check.

Bob

personally, I would stick to a .30 cal bullet...ie 7.62mm, .308, 30-06. If you need to you can hunt with .30 cal. Like the guys said before, the ammo can get spendy. .223 cal is alright, I own a SP1, but in my opinion a .30 cal packs more punch. The cheapest rifle you can get would be the SKS. If you know somebody with the tooling you could put together an AK from a kit. Still cheaper than buying an already built one from a dealer. With a SKS you can get the after market extended mags. When you can get the funds you can even get a pistol grip stock, scope, tactical rails, etc. :s0155:

.30 cal is a good recommendation depending on your use for the gun. what are you wanting it for? Hunting? plinking? competition? That will help you make a decision. If its just for plinking or some comp shooting I would get a smaller cal with cheaper ammo. The 5.45x39 is a cheap round right now and you can build an AR or AK to shoot that cal.

This is one of those great debates like which muscle car is the greatest.

You need to ask yourself some questions like:

1. How much training am I willing to dedicate to this weapon (please don't take this wrong but it sounds like you haven't had any MIL or LE experience)

2. Besides the basic start up cost of the weapon and ammo, what is your budget for spare mags and parts? Semi auto without magazines is a very difficult to operate bolt action or expansive club.

3. What is the longest distance you are most likely going to shoot this weapon at? Don't get an AR Carbine/M4-orgey and think you are going to hit targets at 600 meters off hand.

4. Who else might shoot this weapon (wife, children etc...) you might want to stay away from the .308's

These are just some things to think about. I am sure many-a-more-smart-guy might have some other suggestive self-questions.

SF-

I have an ak and an ar. I would grab my ar if I needed a rifle and it mattered. Accurate, flat shooting, fast, common rounds. Ak has punch but whats the use of punch when you cant hit the target dead on? The .223 is more expensive though. It's an extra .5 cents a round. Thats nothing to most people. Oh, and getting back to penetration..... green tip 5.56 will penetrate as good as or better than 7.62X39 any day, and hit the bullseye. The sks is just the gateway drug to the ak and the ak is the gateway drug to the ar. Hi, I'm Nic and I'm a gunoholic.

I would also suggest getting a higher brand name. Colt, Rock River, Next Generation Arms, because even though names don't matter and if it's mil-spec it's mil-spec... Names matter...

Last Edited:
My vote is for Chevy Nova SS

1970_novaSS.jpg

OK man you got my vote for your Nova. Let me guess, it is either a 71 or a 72. I had one of each year. Fun cars....The thing about guns is like cars...there are so meny different models for different reason and use. Motorcycles are the same...EVERYBODY is going to have a different opinion. As far as green tip .223, of course it is going to penetrate farther than a .308, it is armor piecing. But a full metal jacket 55 gr. 5.56 will not penetrate as far as a .308 full metal jacket. If you want to compare armor piercing rounds, the black tip armor piercing 30-06 WWII round will penetrate deeper than any green tipp 5.56. The great thing is that you can pull the black tip .30 cal round out of the 30-06 casing and place it in a .308 casing. Now you have .308 armor piercing. Like some of the guys said before...what are you going to use it for, hunting, plinking, compitition, home defense or your last stand against the Zombies? Tomato, tomoto.......they all go bang! :s0155:

That's funny. Gateway to an AR. I tossed the M16 in a river in '65 and grabbed an M14.

I bought an AR (Genuine Colt Hbar 2) it was a POS.

I've got a Saiga converted ala Tromix in 7.62X51 (308?) that shoots my Lake City NM into .75" at a hundred yards off the bench. I feel that the AR is the cause of all the AK popularity. I'd have an M1A if it weighed as little as my Saiga does and was as reliable. Bottom line is the AK can shoot with proper tooling and ammo right along with the so called "accurate" AR and keep shooting when the AR gives up to dirt and Mr. Murphy.

This is one of those great debates like which muscle car is the greatest.

You need to ask yourself some questions like:

1. How much training am I willing to dedicate to this weapon (please don't take this wrong but it sounds like you haven't had any MIL or LE experience)

2. Besides the basic start up cost of the weapon and ammo, what is your budget for spare mags and parts? Semi auto without magazines is a very difficult to operate bolt action or expansive club.

3. What is the longest distance you are most likely going to shoot this weapon at? Don't get an AR Carbine/M4-orgey and think you are going to hit targets at 600 meters off hand.

4. Who else might shoot this weapon (wife, children etc...) you might want to stay away from the .308's

These are just some things to think about. I am sure many-a-more-smart-guy might have some other suggestive self-questions.

SF-

1. I will train as much as I can afford, until I become proficient I would never expect that I could take it out of the box, put it in my safe, and be an expert. Don't worry about me taking it the wrong way. I was in the Navy for 8 years, but 8 years of working on airplanes on an aircraft carrier did not give me much experience with rifles, no matter how many times we went to the Gulf.

2. I do not have a set budget. I will do just like I have for my other firearms. I will buy groceries, pay the bills, etc. then at the end of the week, I will set it aside until I have enought for which ever rifle I decide to purchase. I will do the same for the accessories and ammo.

3. You tell me, How far should I be able to shoot this sort of rifle proficiently? I have no problem with practicing. I have put atleast 3000 rounds through my 10/22 over the last couple of months.

4. I have a wife and 10 kids. I doubt that my wife will want to shoot it, and any of my older kids that would want to shoot it have all shot my .308 deer rifle.

The main reason that I want the rifle is to practice with until I am proficient with it and then take it out once in awhile to practice with. Then, primarily to keep put up and save it for a rainy day.

Thank you

I hope that this answered some of the questions.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top