JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an HK 91 and a SCAR17. I used to have an M1A and an LMT .308 MWS. The SCAR 17 is by far the most fun for me to shoot. The HK is also cool (I'm a huge HK fan), but it is heavier and screws up the brass. The M1A was nice, but it was heavier than I wanted so I sold it. The same went for the LMT 308 MWS.

A good friend of mine has a Colt 901 and loves it.

I recommend handling them at a gun store and decide what you want it for. Just my 2 cents. :D

I owned two Valmets in 7.62x51

Very nice rifles. As is the Galil. The rolls Royces of Kalashnikovs.

Problem was finding spare parts and mags for them.

Not sure what the Galil takes, the but Valmets took an adaptation of an HK91 mag - hard to find, expensive. So I sold them and bought the FN-FAL, which has more variations, more easily found parts and mags, more mods. The FN-FAL also has an adjustable gas port.

Yes, the thing runs like a finely tuned sewing machine and is smooth as silk. As for the mags yes, IF you can find them they are stupid money. The early imports shipped with modified M14 mags (like mine), so I learned to roll my own out of M14/M1A mags. I bought a buttload of 20rnd and a few 25rnd mags a few years ago (for cheap) to round out my kit.

You dremel down the rear of the M14 mag to match the profile of the Galil modified mag, carefully grind off the rear M14 lug, then cut and dremel out the front and rear lugs from 1/4"x 1" flat stock, spot-weld them in place and BAM, Galil mags!! I have to get around to doing a home brew parkerize job on them.... someday. LOL

Of all my firearms, THIS ONE gets buried with me. :D

I don't have a whole lot of experience with .308 rifles except the G3/HK91 series. It is quite possibly the most awkward, front heavy rifle I've ever shot. IMO, except for the weird caliber, a 7.5 MAS 49/56 is a superior rifle.

Keith

Something like this semi-auto CQB-16 M14 in a Blackfeather RS would be my choice.

10421216_1009376715746183_2218985666888783522_n.jpg

Fitted with the SHG and an Aimpoint above.

Fitted with the LSP and a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 below.

1924887_10153103072304776_895842326196665672_n.jpg

1013663_678968878786970_1349045410_n.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't have a whole lot of experience with .308 rifles except the G3/HK91 series. It is quite possibly the most awkward, front heavy rifle I've ever shot. IMO, except for the weird caliber, a 7.5 MAS 49/56 is a superior rifle.

Keith
If they just made it a long stroke piston with a non recipricating charging handle, I think it would be an incredible rifle.
The modularity alone kicks bubblegum.
Just a shame its a roller lock system.

Best rifle I ever had, an FN-FAL in the Para configuration with the folding bolt retractor and folding stock. Heretic wins teh Intarnets.
A buyer should be aware that if you want a folding stock, then you want a rifle that is already in folding stock config - it is not cheap to add the folding stock to an FN-FAL with a fixed stock. It requires changing out a number of expensive parts. The recoil spring is in the fixed stock.

I have a friend with one (.308 Galil), and he likes it... But he's always on the hunt for mags and when he finds them they're pretty expensive.
I was in the Saiga .308 camp for the longest time. The mags proved to be too fragile.. And the Csspecs were just too unstreamlined.. Even the second gen. Too blocky with sharp edges.
Military grade mags would have made me a fan boy through and through
(like with the Galil)
I was hoping the Zastava M77 was going to make a scene.. But alas.. No one here wants a .308 AK.. Even if it has an adjustable gas system.. Albeit fragile.

I would go with the SCAR 17s.

Everyone I know who owns one, loves it. Everyone I know who's shot them, wants one. I know of nobody who has sold it because they didn't like it. It's next on my list and I hope to have one before years end.

If you can't swing the funds for it, I like the FAL. I've had at least one for over 20 years and believe they're fun to shoot, reliable and the design has proven it's worth in war all over the world... even against itself. Parts are plentiful as are magazines - although getting more expensive - and there are many mods / gucci gear which can be added (if that's your thing) There are many variants to the FAL which increase the fun factor if you're into researching and collecting. They've been made for over 60 years and are still being cranked out today.

I like the idea of the VEPR in 54r just because of the price / availability / potency of the 54r. But I've never even held one so have no other opinion based on anything apart from what I've read.

I'm thinking that the next rifle for my collection should be a semi-auto in .308; looking for recommendations. Use is target shooting, potentially up to 400 yards. Also because I don't have anything in .308 yet.

G3?
FAL?
M1A?
AR10?
SCAR 17S?
M1 Garand in .308?
Others?

Bonus if you know of something I can get with my C&R!

I would vote for the new 2nd Generation DPMS, which is also being sold by Smith & Wesson ( their parent company ) as the M&P 10

This rifle is much lighter than most AR10 and other 308 battle rifles, weighing only 7.7 lbs. And that is with a nice 18 inch barrel too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=455937987

And it uses the super reliable and affordable PMAG too. So no issue at all with magazine availability.

Plus you can easily accessorize it with all sorts of cool AR configuration options.

SDC18393_zpsc9d3e7df.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads