JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking that the next rifle for my collection should be a semi-auto in .308; looking for recommendations. Use is target shooting, potentially up to 400 yards. Also because I don't have anything in .308 yet.

G3?
FAL?
M1A?
AR10?
SCAR 17S?
M1 Garand in .308?
Others?

Bonus if you know of something I can get with my C&R!

You should get this one so I can live vicariously through you

<broken link removed>

90654027.jpg

Early vintage BAR, Browning Semiauto made in Belgium. I think the earliest models were in the late 60's.
Wouldn't that qualify for the C&R status?

If you could only have one, It would be hard to go wrong with a HK PSG1 :)

If you dont want to sell your truck to buy it though a regular old HK 91 would be a fine rifle.

You should get this one so I can live vicariously through you

<broken link removed>

View attachment 115875

That would be wonderful! A little more than I was expecting to spend, but whatever ;-)

Early vintage BAR, Browning Semiauto made in Belgium. I think the earliest models were in the late 60's.
Wouldn't that qualify for the C&R status?

It would have to be on the list (which it isn't, unfortunately) or at least 50 years old. So maybe, but probably not.

I am in the same boat. I want to add a .308 but can't make up my mind. I thought I was going M1A (and there are a few nice examples posted locally) but then I really like the AR platform and then also start getting pulled in by the FNAR as well. Decisions decisions.....:rolleyes:

:s0113:

.308 Galil FTW!! :s0094:
I owned two Valmets in 7.62x51

Very nice rifles. As is the Galil. The rolls Royces of Kalashnikovs.

Problem was finding spare parts and mags for them.

Not sure what the Galil takes, the but Valmets took an adaptation of an HK91 mag - hard to find, expensive. So I sold them and bought the FN-FAL, which has more variations, more easily found parts and mags, more mods. The FN-FAL also has an adjustable gas port.

The other reason I'm leaning towards the FAL is that I just procured an FN-49, which is the immediate predecessor to the FAL. Seems like a logical progression. OTOH, there are FN-49's available in .308......

Been through the roller lock game..
IMO.. They are a PITA when they choose not to function right. Very fancy singleshot.

M1A
AR10/variants
And an FAL are my top 3 choices.

Im an M1A guy now.

I have a friend with one, and he likes it... But he's always on the hunt for mags and when he finds them they're pretty expensive.
At one point, mags for the Valmets were $150

I've owned an HK91, Valmets, M1A, and I prefer the FN-FAL.

If the DT MDR turns out to be half as good as I think it will, then that will probably be the rifle I go with instead of the FN-FAL. I do like bullpups - they feel right in my hands and they usually shoot well. A bullpup that will shoot the three most popular military rifle calibers and do it with MOA accuracy, while using common mags, that would work well for me.

I have also been thinking of a VEPR in either .308 or the 7.62x54R. I do like the rugged, always goes bang reliability of the AK/RPK platform with good but not great accuracy. Love the price on the mil-surp ammo for the x54R but may get into reloading so the .308 wouldn't be much more expensive at that point. Also the limited mag capacity is a downfall of the x54R.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top