JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To think I spend enough with a bolt 308. Semi auto would send me into bankruptcy buying ammo.

If I had to recommend one it would be the Ruger 762. Thing is very nice to shoot and it is the best factory mid level AR10 platform I've felt and have shot. Other than that I have only felt other semi auto 308s. So off feel alone I would still go AR10 because the familiarity with AR15.

Earlier I lauded the 7.5 MAS 49/56. Do not ever, ever buy a Century converted .308 MAS unless you personally shoot it first. But if you can find one that works, its a whole lot cheaper alternative than anything else listed here yet, and it's a helluva rifle.

Keith

Anyone know if SUIT trilux scopes are still made? I know there are much better modern rifle scopes but there is appeal to having one of the older ones if I ever got a FAL

qTdyUDC.jpg

My $0.02

If you're on a budget, FAL

If you you want classy and precision, M1A national match

If you like to modify/customize and high precision AR10 platform.

Most of the research I've done has shown all three options (FAL, M1A and AR10) to be in the $1,400-2,000 range; is there a cheaper place to get an FAL?

Most of the research I've done has shown all three options (FAL, M1A and AR10) to be in the $1,400-2,000 range; is there a cheaper place to get an FAL?

Man, you are not doing your homework well Modeler, as you can get into a 308 Battle rifle for less than that.

I would still advise you to get a DPMS AR-10. If fact, if you want a good deal, one can currently find excellent deals on the Generation 1 DPMS models, since the newer Generation 2 was introduced just this year. This has caused prices for the Gen 1 rifles to drop significantly.

For example, you can now buy the exact DPMS model that I got, a brand new DPMS Gen 1 Sportical 16 inch carbine, from Bud's Gun Shop for only $847:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...MS+RFLR-WCP+Sportical+20+1+308WIN7.62NATO+16"

And if you want to get the newer Generation 2 model that is replacing it, even it is only $1,104 brand new:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/90757/DPMS RFLR-G2AP4 GII AP4 20+1 308WIN7.62NATO 16"

The biggest difference between the two guns is their weight, with the Gen 1 weighing 8.3 lbs, while the Gen 2 is a full pound lighter in weight. However, even the Gen 1 carbine would be lighter weight than a FAL.

You would be so much more happy with an AR, as there are just so many standard AR accessories that you could install on either of these DPMS rifles down the road if you want to upgrade your rifle later. And mounting optical sights on them is so very easy.

You must rely on the FORCE to help you make your decision:

star_wars_episode_v_the_empire_strikes_DPMS.jpg

Last Edited:
I guess I'm just distrustful of semiautomatic rifles in .308 that cost less than $1,000. Plus I like the idea of an adjustable piston gun over a DI gun. It'll be a few months before I buy anything anyway.

I guess I'm just distrustful of semiautomatic rifles in .308 that cost less than $1,000.

Well, you should do a little research and Google the DPMS Generation 1 Sportical and Oracle models, and see what people have to say about them. you will also find a number of videos about them on YouTube. Here is a detailed video from someone that owns two DPMS 308 rifles:

And regarding your concerns about cost, the Gen 1 guns are only so low now because they are currently on closeout, since the Gen 2 is replacing them. They were not selling this low a year ago. These are closeout prices.

However, as I noted earlier, my choice would be the new Gen 2 rifles, due to their lower weight. The 8.3 lb weight of my DPMS is the only thing that I do not like about it. In fact, if you look at 9:30 point in the YouTube video I posted above, you will see that author also complains that the extra weight of 308 rifles is their biggest drawback.

But again, that video is from 2011. And this year's new Gen 2 models are a full pound lighter.

Plus I like the idea of an adjustable piston gun over a DI gun. It'll be a few months before I buy anything anyway.

Wilson Combat makes a really cool adjustable power Gas Port for $75, if you want to have some adjust-ability with a direct impingement rifle.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Adjusta...ength-Straight-Gas-Tube/productinfo/TR-AGB-M/

I am in the same situation. I will be using a suppressor, so this does come into play on selection.

A couple local places steered me towards a Mossberg MVP. One went as far as to say he preferred it, as did other in their shop, to an M1A(the newer versions) and even higher end ARs.

They said for the money it was hard to beat.

Thoughts?

M1-A, National Match! Rifle, parts, mags made in USA!
Very accurate! Heavy? Well, maybe, but I'm a disabled, 65yr old guy and I have no problem handling / shooting mine! I would not trade it for anything!!!

I am in the same situation. I will be using a suppressor, so this does come into play on selection.

A couple local places steered me towards a Mossberg MVP. One went as far as to say he preferred it, as did other in their shop, to an M1A(the newer versions) and even higher end ARs.

They said for the money it was hard to beat.

Thoughts?

That is certainly a contender, although it's bolt action rather than semi-auto. A very nice rifle though, takes multiple magazines and is suppressor-ready. And it's much less than a semi-auto too.

Glad I found this thread. I have recently decided that need some kind of "CQB" .308 rifle. I have pretty much narrowed it down to an AR style rifle. I have or have had M1A's, FAL's, M60, PSL, etc. For this gun I want something with familiar controls and handling. I will be using a silencer on it. I am not sure I want DI or piston. I have no love or hate for either, but the easy switch on the piston guns for using a silencer would be nice.

I am looking at a POF;

pof-00400-84731300400-1.jpg

Pro; NP3 coating, amazing design, accurate, adjustable gas, sexy
Con; Apparently poor customer service, many non-interchangable parts, will service be available in 20 years?

Also the Ruger 7.62;

5601.jpg

Pros; Ruger customer service, good accuracy, adjustable gas, also nice looking gun
Con; Apparently crappy trigger, no aftermarket hand guards

Third option is building my own. Cost is about equal on all 3 options. If I build one I would use the Mega upper/lower pair. The only "downside" is it would be a DI gun with no adjustable gas block.

I will probably use a spiral fluted barrel or a dimpled barrel because they are a bit different.

PG3.jpg

IMG_0431.JPG

Nwcid: There are a number of companies selling adjustable AR-15/AR-10 gas blocks. Wilson Combat and JP Enterprises are just two that come immediately to mind.

So I don't see any reason why you cannot have this feature on a rifle that you build yourself, or add it to any direct impingement rifle.

Robarguns.com in Phoenix can fully refinish the exterior of a AR15/AR10 in their Poly T2 finish, and refinish all internals in their advanced NP3 Plus, for a total cost of $450. So you could easily have any of these rifles upgraded to an awesome finish.

Here is a photo of what their work looks like. The Poly T2 is available in gunmetal grey, black, OD Green, and Tan.

Here is a photo of what the Tan looks like, with everything internal in NP3 Plus:

Poly-T2-AR-.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top