JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I mentioned in my recent new member introduction thread, I'm quite new to the firearms community. Before becoming part of this community, I can say I was fairly oblivious to the issues facing gun owners. Case in point: I have no recollection whatsoever of the events and discussions leading up to, nor the actual passing of the 1994 Federal AWB. As a result of my inexperience, I have a difficult time judging the current situation in OR and WA, except to think back to spring of last year when, as a newly minted gun owner, I was horrified at the thought of losing a large part of my new-found sense of empowerment and freedom to Oregon's IP-43 ballot initiative. I was in a bit of a panic at the time, spent a fair amount of money, and bought a lot of the things I thought I might later want, but not be able to get. After IP-43 was defeated, however, and the dust settled, I felt as if I had perhaps overreacted. I am wondering now whether the same scenario will play out this spring, or will it be different this time? My feeling is that the current situation is more serious, and there is a threat of losing significant rights to the legislative onslaught that has already begun. Yet there seems to me to be no discernible organized-resistance effort. Or, again, is it my lack of experience leading me to believe this is the case?

To be sure, there has been a lot of very good information researched and shared, and thoughts exchanged by NWFA members via threads on this site. One small rally has taken place, money is on its way to OFF, GOA, etc., some letters have been written to representatives. Does this represent all one can do in the short term? When I imagine the organization and effort of the anti-rights groups, it still seems to pale in comparison. I would think the current effort needs to be handled like any large project: with leaders, a plan, tasks, and ultimately people who are responsible for delivering results.

As a bare minimum, there ought to be one thread per State (OR, WA) on this site dedicated to fighting the year's anti-rights legislation, and updated regularly. The thread would include relevant information and links to the proposed legislation, and a checklist for each person to work through. A lot of this information is likely already here on the NWFA site, but scattered throughout the various threads.

The next pro-rights protest (and there needs to be one) should be organized in a way that the maximum number of people turn out. I could be wrong, but when a protest numbers in the hundreds, I would almost say the event was counter-productive. Can we get thousands next time? As a bare minimum, how about using a simple tool like doodle (Doodle: easy scheduling) that allows people to pick a range of dates, and the tool generates the best option? The tool would also give an estimate of the number of people attending, and seeing that number growing could work like a feed-back mechanism to increase attendance. Who would want to miss a pro-rights protest numbering in the thousands?

These are just some first thoughts, and they only begin to scratch the surface of the topic. I believe we have a large number of people in the firearms community that, despite job and family obligations, would be willing to help fight, but what is lacking are leaders with both time and experience to organize the effort. So I'm left with the feeling that everyone just continues to wait for something to happen while, at least for the short-term, time is running out.

Or am I misreading the current situation? I sent my money to OFF, wrote to my representatives, so now I can dust my hands-off and rest-assured that the remainder of the fighting is taking place somewhere behind closed doors, and the cavalry, if needed, stands ready, hidden on the other side of the hill?

Talk to your friends, co-workers, neighbors and get them to contact their legislators. With D super-majority in both OR legislative houses and some moderate democrats removed from leadership positions, the current situation is looking pretty bleak. Since you are fairly new to firearm ownership, you will realize pretty quickly it is very tiring being a 2A supporter in a blue state. There are always a number of extreme anti-2A bills proposed in the OR legislature. Up until now, more balanced pro vs anti number of legislators has kept most of the really bad bills from progressing. The D super-majority can easily make OR the state with the strictest gun laws in the nation.

It's A LOT worse now than with IP-43. The current proposed gun-grabbing garbage in Oregon is headed to an unhinged one-party gun-hating bunch in Salem. Some or all of it will pass. Our chance was lost in November.

That said, we should all be writing AND calling our legislators, the governor, and the Sheriffs, every day, sending money to OOC, OFF, GOA, NRA, etc. I called the office of Rep. Salinas in Lake Oswego last week and the receptionist sounded like she was asleep - she had to go find something to write on!!! I should not have been able to get a call thru to that office. Not a good sign. Speaking of Sheriffs, they need to come out denouncing these proposed laws - yesterday!

Read the bills, assume they will pass, and if you can live with them, stay here - if you can't live with the new laws then consider moving.

EDIT: One long-shot glimmer of hope is that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will retire very soon, and somehow, the Supreme Court will help us.
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Will Retire from the US Supreme Court in January, 2019

Last Edited:
Or am I misreading the current situation?

No, you're not misreading the situation. All you have to do is see what has happened in the state to the south of us (for many years) and to the north of us (the past couple of years) to see that it's our turn next. The Party of Gun Control now has supermajorities in both chambers of the Oregon Legislature, and the governorship. It will be very difficult to stop them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

By the way, IP 43 wasn't defeated. It simply ran out of time before it could start signature gathering. If it had made it onto the 2018 ballot it would have passed. Rev. Mark Knutson, one of the leaders behind IP 43 said that if the Legislature doesn't pass an "assault weapon" ban in this session he will put son-of-IP 43 on the 2020 ballot, and it will pass.

One thing though: don't wait for "leadership" to tell you what to do. There isn't any reason you can't get to work on your own.

First thing to do is figure out who your representative and your senator are with this Legislator Lookup

Keep track of the bills that have been proposed
2019 Firearms Legislation - Oregon Firearms Federation

Call and email your representative and senator and tell them you oppose (or support, there are a couple of pro-gun bills in there) a particular bill by number. Instead of saying you oppose X, Y, and Z, send a separate email and make a separate call for each bill. You don't have to go into details, just a very brief statement of your opposition or support. Their staffs keep count of how many emails and calls they get in favor or against each bill.

At some point each bill will be sent to a committee. You can keep track of the progress of each bill by clicking on the bill's number 2019 Firearms Legislation - Oregon Firearms Federation and going to the page for that bill.

Again, email and call the office of each member of the committee handling that bill (usually Judiciary) expressing your support or opposition. Again, you don't need to go into details.

Next the committee will call for testimony from the public. Testimony can be submitted in writing, in person during the committee meeting when public testimony regarding the bill is heard, or both in writing and in person. The bill info pages will instruct you how to submit written testimony. That is when you go into details. Explain concisely your reasons for opposing or supporting the bill. Try to be logical, fact-based, and persuasive. In my opinion ranting about freedom, the Constitution, and the Second Amendment - though we love all of them - will fall on deaf ears. You have to come up with practical arguments why the bill would be ineffective, unenforceable, punishes victims instead of criminals, etc. Here is an example of the type of arguments you should make in your written testimony Washington - HB 1068 - Standard Capacity Magazine ban Notice that I didn't mention freedom, the Constitution, or the Second Amendment in my arguments.

If you decide to testify in person, be prepared to spend the whole day at the Capitol and bring a roll of quarters for the parking meter. I went to Salem in 2013 to testify against the gun control bills proposed after Sandy Hook, and I also submitted written testimony. There were so many people there to testify that we filled several overflow rooms. I slowly made it up the list to testify and finally got into the committee room where the committee was hearing testimony. I even made eye contact with the chairman Sen. Prozanski and he nodded that I would be in the next group to testify. But after hearing testimony all day they called it quits before I could testify. Maybe Prozanski was afraid of me. :D

Since The Party of Gun Control will have a majority of members on every committee it is likely most bills will be passed by the committees and then they go to the floor to be debated and voted on by the full chambers (House and Senate). This is when you again contact your own representative and senator for each bill expressing your opposition (or support). Hopefully, our fellow gun owners who are members of The Party of Gun Control and who helped put these people into office with their votes will be calling and emailing twice as often as the rest of us to compensate for their votes.

Because The Party of Gun Control has large majorities in both chambers the bills will probably pass and be happily be signed into law by our Governor who of course is a member of The Party of Gun Control. At that point the legal challenges will start, and that's when you start donating money to the organizations that will be hiring the lawyers to challenge those new laws i.e. the (evil) NRA, the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), and probably the Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF). In the meantime keep buying firearms and magazines that you might want that are likely to be banned.

Last Edited:
Lack of organization and designated LEADER, with authority to make decisions and coordinate, is probably one of our single biggest weaknesses (and our sides complacency and apathy combined with internal divisions -FUDDS, etc).

Short answer...we're at a point where we REALLY need a designated, boots-on-the-ground, full time clearly identified local leader with decision making and spending authority and a budget. Someone who can order signs, busses, make coordinations, etc. (Not trying to dismiss Mr. Gottlieb and Mr. Workman, but not certain on where they're falling in the scheme of things at the moment).

And everyone would need to rally behind that leader, and use the full power of any and all platforms to reach as many people as possible.

Till that happens, we're operating at less than optimal.

$.02 worth.

BOSS

All the effort needs to be focused on which Federal Judge will enter a preliminary injunction after it passes. You can call your Oregon State Rep or State Senator all you want, they know how they are going to vote. They knew how they would vote on it before SB501 was even written.

Believe me that Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsmen's Warehouse, Fisherman's Marine, and every gun store in Oregon doesn't want the loss of revenue from ammo, accessories (mags), and semi-auto firearms. I wouldn't be surprised if Hornady, Remington, Winchester, Nosler, etc get involved with the legal fight too. Just having Shot Show in Vegas has generated $100 million in revenue for the city. They aren't even selling guns and ammo, just showing new stuff.

Also do everything you can to support IP8 "Common Firearms Act". It will override every BS gun grab law. If SB501 does pass, I won't be complicit. It specifically violates my religious beliefs.

Lack of organization and designated LEADER, with authority to make decisions and coordinate, is probably one of our single biggest weaknesses (and our sides complacency and apathy combined with internal divisions -FUDDS, etc).

Short answer...we're at a point where we REALLY need a designated, boots-on-the-ground, full time clearly identified local leader with decision making and spending authority and a budget. Someone who can order signs, busses, make coordinations, etc. (Not trying to dismiss Mr. Gottlieb and Mr. Workman, but not certain on where they're falling in the scheme of things at the moment).

And everyone would need to rally behind that leader, and use the full power of any and all platforms to reach as many people as possible.

Till that happens, we're operating at less than optimal.

$.02 worth.

BOSS
:s0101:

Agreed, we need a leader and we need to get organized, like last decade...

And.. we need a few more billionaires to fund things like the other side has.

Funny...there isn't a single rich guy who likes guns, isn't it?

They're out there...Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Lou Ferrigno, Ice T...others...would be nice if they headed up north for a few days...

Can you imagine Eastwood at an NRA rally holding up a S&W M 29 (or better Automag) and saying '...from my cold, dead hands!!'

23 Pro Gun Celebrities – Yes, They Do Exist! **UPDATED July 2014**

BOSS

:s0101:

Agreed, we need a leader and we need to get organized, like last decade...

Marty McFly and a time traveling DeLorean?

But, yeah, we need A REAL, FULL-TIME MOVER & SHAKER LEADER. NOW.

Seriously, if they can't get a couple busses ordered, filled with supporters, and pointed towards Olympia, we need someone more capable.

$.02 worth.

If you guys need someone who has the time to do this, I'm absolutely available to do so. I can start a grass root revolution in Oregon with all the social media campaign to go along with it. I'm a former Marine, former Cop in DC, former Homeland Security training operations, worked for the Fed Govt since August 1995. I run policy and planning for the VA HQ now from home. My bosses are in DC. I would like to take a "Shot" at being John of Arc.

Landhawk, if you can, I'd say try to not only unify OR, but make it an entire PNW effort...each state supporting each other (if you can). You should consider reaching out to OFF, SAF, and the NRA and volunteer your services...they'd probably love to have the help, especially with your background.

And if you have Social Media skills, that's something sorely lacking in these parts...

BOSS

Landhawk, if you can, I'd say try to not only unify OR, but make it an entire PNW effort...each state supporting each other (if you can). You should consider reaching out to OFF, SAF, and the NRA and volunteer your services...they'd probably love to have the help, especially with your background.

BOSS

Sounds good Boss! I am actually seriously entertaining running for House District 33 against Mitch Greenlick, who is a pretend doctor that only cares about Oregon health care related legislation. Or Elizabeth Steiner Hayward who is the same. They both run unopposed every election. This needs to change. I have actual federal legislation experience in DC.

My platform is very easy: Dear Oregon, stay out of our bedrooms, stay out of our pockets, stop spending taxpayer $ on pointless projects, stop spending my tax money on progressive ideas that never work, leave our God given freedoms alone and work on balancing the budget with the 2nd highest state income in the nation with one of the lowest GDP outputs in the nation. Get homeless people off the streets and sidewalks. Its ridiculous. I'm from Washington DC and at least the homeless there don't bother anyone. They don't poop on the sidewalk. I could go on and on but I'm a libertarian all day every day.

I just looked into that ip8 common firearms act Common Firearms Act I'd never heard of it before. Looks good. Would that override the stuff they are working on now with SB501? and the other draconian stuff they are putting up?
Yes it would! Plus its going to be a ballot initiative which is held to a different legal standard than laws passed by state legislators. When laws are passed by the people, it holds up in Fed Court.

My question is how is any of this legal? The AWB as a ballot initiative failed last year by a bipartisan majority and none of these proposals were even mentioned in the campaign, yet 11 days after they take office and are dawned the crown they drop a rediculose bomb on everyone. These proposals should be voted on, one by one by the people of this state.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top