JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just grab your drill and be the amateur gunsmith:D
It might be hard to find the right size drill but depending on the tolerance you are looking for i would drill a test piece in the same thickness of steel/aluminum you're drilling into to see what diameter your bit actually drills to. It might be better to find a machinist friend with an adjustable reamer depending on the size and location of the hole.

Why do you need for a hole in your AR upper to be bigger??? o_O

Bigger booolits?? :rolleyes:

But back to the OP, on a more serious note, depending on what you need done, and where you live, there are several gunsmiths on this board that can accommodate you. I recommend @Velzey as I know he has the equipment and the skills and can likely drill whatever hole you're looking for and his prices are very reasonable.

I remember when I was an immature gunsmith...;)

Oh wait amateur, anyhow what hole are you needing done?

That's funny! :D Looking back at my first build of any kind and all the trail and errors booboo's I made to get things right. With no formal training and learning it all on my own. No tooling. Now I am easily a couple of dozen builds later. :rolleyes:

My first thought was they are all over this board.
Then I wondered which hole you needed bigger:eek:
Now I would suggest you go to a professional to make sure you really want it reamed out

Looking for an amateur gunsmith?

Have you tried the Amateur Gunsmith Locater Resource Service? It's used by almost everyone at least once.

It's called a mirror*

*It also does referrals for plumbing, electrical, construction, and auto repairs,
all usually with the same mixed results.

WARNING...DO NOT USE THIS METHOD TO LOCATE A LAWYER OR A SURGEON

Last Edited:
Looking for an amateur gunsmith?

Have you tried the Amateur Gunsmith Locater Resource Service? It's used by almost everyone at least once.

It's called a mirror*

*It also does referrals for plumbing, electrical, construction, and auto repairs,
all usually with the same mixed results.

Hey nowo_O

I think that depends on your general competence with tools and what you have available to you.

I've saved thousands and thousands of dollars learning to do things myself. YouTube is an insane research tool if you understand the lingo.

Depends on what you are asking the hole to do.
Not all holes are created equal.
Now that the crude thoughts have subsided, I'll explain myself.
You cannot make a round hole with a two flute drill bit. Though you can't readily see it, the drilled hole will actually be triangular. if your bolting something together it will likely be fine. if you are pinning something together or need a smooth and consistent pivot, it may need to be reamed to be round.
That said, there are; alphabetic, number, wire size, metric, fractional and decimal drill sizes available. One of those will surely fit the bill if only drilling is required.

Here's a thought. God-forbid you should ever have to use that for its intended purpose. What are you going to tell the jury? 'Cause you know any prosecutor who hears (or reads) that you sought out an amateur to modify your deadly weapon, is definitely going to put you on trial.

+1= you can find a machinist.

Here's a thought. God-forbid you should ever have to use that for its intended purpose. What are you going to tell the jury? 'Cause you know any prosecutor who hears (or reads) that you sought out an amateur to modify your deadly weapon, is definitely going to put you on trial.

+1= you can find a machinist.

Especially if it is the hole that can get you 7 years! :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews