JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Video games are conditioning our youth and teaching them to kill......

The 18-year-old says he often played in a fantasy world, and that's what happened the day he killed his foster brother, something he openly admitted to.

"Now I know I did hurt Dominic," Metzker-Madsen said

"You killed him?" the prosecution questioned.

"Yes," Metzker-Madsen responded.

Metzker-Madsen says the two were playing Roman mythology outside their foster parents' home in August 2013. Elkins had only been with the Coolman family for about three weeks.

The teen says he saw a goblin while playing a new game called Skylanders, and believed it was real. Instead, the goblin was actually Dominic. Metzker-Madsen said the goblin attacked, so he attacked it with a fake sword, and then a real brick.

"I started pushing his head into the water as I was hitting him with the brick," Metzker-Madsen explained.

<broken link removed>

Youth medication, social media and exposure to violent video games and movies don't mix well.

All past "mass" shooters had these elements in their lives. I do think there is a correlation.

Youth medication, social media and exposure to violent video games and movies don't mix well.

All past "mass" shooters had these elements in their lives. I do think there is a correlation.

there's no correlation. the FBI stats show that pretty clearly. no statistically significant correlation between medication, video games, or movies.

clear factors are school bullying or violence in the home.

also, the 12-16 age range is particularly vulnerable -- it shows in the statistics. secondary school can be the most stressful time in a person's life. social pressure is intense, combine this with raging hormones and teen angst, everyone expecting you to perform in public on a moment's notice, zero tolerance policies, everyone seems to be yelling at you all the time, etc.

there's no correlation. the FBI stats show that pretty clearly. no statistically significant correlation between medication, video games, or movies.

clear factors are school bullying or violence in the home.

also, the 12-16 age range is particularly vulnerable -- it shows in the statistics. secondary school can be the most stressful time in a person's life. social pressure is intense, combine this with raging hormones and teen angst, everyone expecting you to perform in public on a moment's notice, zero tolerance policies, everyone seems to be yelling at you all the time, etc.

you have to be kidding me right? kids have been bullied for as long as there have been kids, there have been repeating rifles and pistols from before 1900 but only kids in mass killings recently, so its not bullying, and its not the guns, so what has changed.

Well, video games, drugs, and violent movies.....

Grossman makes some excellent points in his books. It's a large part of how we train solders. They do know there is effect on young people's games that play violent games hours on end. The FBI study was a long time ago. <broken link removed>

the statistics say otherwise.

bullying HAS changed with all the 'zero tolerance' policies and no way to resolve them. social pressures have changed significantly, and the breakdown of the family unit -- both parents working full time.

there is also a very clear almost 1:1 correlation between enrollment numbers and frequency of violent incidents. it's pretty simple - more students, more incidents.

again, the actual statistics do NOT show a correlation between video games, drugs, or movies and violence. in fact video games correlate to a DROP in juvenile delinquency. kids these days are more frequently at home playing games than out on the streets causing chaos.

again, the major factors are bullying and domestic violence. they show CLEARLY in the statistics. and the 12-16 age group CLEARLY shows in the statistics.

this blame game is getting silly again. how long before we come full circle back to blaming AD&D, devil worship, and heavy metal music?

the statistics say otherwise.

bullying HAS changed with all the 'zero tolerance' policies and no way to resolve them. social pressures have changed significantly, and the breakdown of the family unit -- both parents working full time.

there is also a very clear almost 1:1 correlation between enrollment numbers and frequency of violent incidents. it's pretty simple - more students, more incidents.

again, the actual statistics do NOT show a correlation between video games, drugs, or movies and violence. in fact video games correlate to a DROP in juvenile delinquency. kids these days are more frequently at home playing games than out on the streets causing chaos.

again, the major factors are bullying and domestic violence. they show CLEARLY in the statistics. and the 12-16 age group CLEARLY shows in the statistics.

this blame game is getting silly again. how long before we come full circle back to blaming AD&D, devil worship, and heavy metal music?

where to begin, I agree that zero tolerance is a stupid idea, it makes life easy for teachers, but hurts the kids. It is right in there with everyone get a trophy as far as a stupid idea, so we agree there.

More students = more incidence, agree, but that does not explain the increase in the number of over the top violence, why are there not more fights and brawls, well maybe there are, but why do kids escalate to murder? because they commit murder over and over and over in a video game and get rewarded for it. Also they see the fame that is given to other mass killers, they are almost idolized by our media.

Statistics are what people use to defeat common sense, you can statistically prove anything you want, look at global warming, for the last 10-15 years temps have been dropping but statistics are used to prove otherwise by manipulating the numbers, its easy to do. But common sense says otherwise.

So if it is Bullying and Domestic violence, why are places like Iraq etc.... not riddled with students shooting students? there is way more bullying and domestic violence there and guns are everywhere? Over there operant conditioning is used to create suicide bombers and terrorists, it is the conditioning (IE: video games) not bullying that leads to student on student violence.

They blamed paperback books.
They blamed rock'n'roll.
They blamed marijuana.
They blamed dungeons & dragons.
They blamed comic books.

Notice a pattern?

Speaking of violence, there's been far more scientific evidence on the negative effects of television / movies on young people then there are on video games. Do you know what the #1 most popular video game is with children these days? MINECRAFT. I don't see kids everywhere exploding their houses with TNT and beating each other with mining picks.

The answer to protecting the 2nd amendment is not dismantling the 1st amendment. And unless you'd like to be in bed with infamous politicians like Leland Yee, gun owners ought to be careful what they say about video games. It just fits more into stereotypes of gun owners as backwards thinking neanderthals.

Are there video games that are inappropriate for children? Yes, but to me, that's a problem of parenting, not video games.

If there was a causational relationship between video games and violence, then nearly 100% of youth would be psychopaths.

I don't know a single person in my demographic (20-30yr old males) that DOESN'T play video games. I also don't know a single person in my demographic that is a criminal (violent or otherwise).

Any correlation is incidental.

Are there video games that are inappropriate for children? Yes, but to me, that's a problem of parenting, not video games.

we are in total agreement, I am not advocating for any laws to control video games, what I am saying is just what you said, parenting is the problem, parents do not understand nor do they seem to care what they are teaching their kids when they let them watch violent movies or play violent video games....but the problem with violent crime don my kids is not the gun, it is parenting, or lack there of........

My initial post was trying to point out the irony the left, another place where this is true is TSA, who in their right mind thinks that a plane load of passengers would ever again allow a terrorist to take control of a plane without a fight to the death? so what do we do, we disarm all the passenger, we screen for underwear bombs, we stop people from bringing water on, we should be profiling the people not the objects.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...0-times-more-effective-at-catching-deception/

I also think we over react, media advances have globalized local events, parents think there are blacked out vans driving around everywhere waiting to kidnap their kids, its just not the case, it happens once somewhere in the US and we all hear about it, so we assume it is about to happen to me. that too is just not he case. but kids get locked up because of it. Just like shark attacks and wolf attacks, they are so rare, but when they happen everyone gets out of the water or stay out of the woods.....

If there was a causational relationship between video games and violence, then nearly 100% of youth would be psychopaths.

I don't know a single person in my demographic (20-30yr old males) that DOESN'T play video games. I also don't know a single person in my demographic that is a criminal (violent or otherwise).

Any correlation is incidental.

I agree as well, 99.99% of our population are level headed, and able to differentiate, no issue there. But then, most people who commit these crimes are surrounded by people who did not see anything strange....the question is "is your tolerance of violence higher or lower as a result of being exposed to it on a regular basis?"

in many cases, the attacker clearly communicated their intent to people around them. people knew they had issues and did nothing.

it's not video games or movies.

"common sense" is frequently wrong. look at what the actual data is telling you. ignoring the data will not yield desired results. video games correlate with a DECLINE in youth violence.

blaming video games is as silly as blaming guns.

ignore the data that shows bullying and DV as the 2 largest factors? not wise.

Everything you can possibly think of DOES play a factor. The brain is very complex and differed greatly from one person to the next. Subject A may be able to overcome neglect and abuse in the home and move on to be a successful person, while subject B may become depressed and enraged, leading to acts of violence outside of the home.

To say one thing is to blame more than another is an ignorant statement.

Bullying and DV might explain the "why" but they do not explain the "how" and exposure to violence does explain their choice on how to express their frustration

Everything you can possibly think of DOES play a factor. The brain is very complex and differed greatly from one person to the next. Subject A may be able to overcome neglect and abuse in the home and move on to be a successful person, while subject B may become depressed and enraged, leading to acts of violence outside of the home.

some things ARE more a factor than the others. bullying and DV are MAJOR factors.

most criminals steal their guns or get them from the black market, few get them from gun shows or the internet.

"assault weapons" are used in a mere fraction of crimes. most crimes are committed with handguns.

get it?

Agree. I don't think there is one magic thing we do that can eliminate the problem.

As for video games, I think it does play a rile, but not a determine role. The key is for kid to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Human brain is amazing at projecting fantasy as if it is real. It probably helped Steve Jobs to envision the success of iPhone, or Wright brothers to view themselves flying. But it could also lead to people to want to bring fantasized violence into reality. So I told my son when he was 3 or 4 that what is on TV is not real. Helping kid to distinguish the two is important and had to start early.

And a case on games influence was after I played Grand Auto Thief, I got into traffic jam, my brain would play the possible ways of driving around the cars and ram through some barriers. That made me support video game rating system. Such games are fine with adults, but to a young brain, it trains it the wrong before it learns the right way.

I think the problem is kids can't be kinds anymore. to many soccer moms not wanting their little angels to get hurt. When I was in middle school, I got bullied but guess what, I didn't get a gun and shoot everyone, I played dodge ball during lunch, or football if the weather was good.
Or, you went outside and dealt with it. I am not sure that will work though these days with the gangs and all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top