JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"My go to is Bullseye. Then sportco. And Federal Way Discount Guns. WGS in lakewood is good as well. Mary's is a fantastic shop, but selection is slim."

If you have a "go to" gun shop then why the post asking where to go to buy a first gun?

Had I received an honest indoctrination into the gun world I may have been the guy happy with one gun. One and done. But, no. The big box store had me happily walk out the store with a S&W 9mm Sigma. 12-13 years later I remain on the quest for something better. Damn them.
Maybe I looked like that's all I could afford.

It's a mixed bag. Most local gun stores don't have a big selection. Most big box stores have a big selection but either busy or disinterested staff. Like buying a gun at Burger King, whatever you want. A Glock with cheese, fine.

Possibly, gun shows are great for information and selection. Regardless of LGS, BBS or gun show the new buyer needs to ask a lot of questions and not be intimidated. It's your money. $400 - 500 is realistically the low end for a first time, no issues, new firearm. IMO.

When it comes to Tactical rifles like AR15s, that's like religion, race relations and politics. Unless you're the optics on backwards, electric tape everywhere with woods screws on an 80% lower guy (that happened), who's really an expert on what you need?

My friend! Don't bottle things up. It's not healthy! Come on, you can tell us how you really feel! We're all friends here, after all.
Well the thing was the sales person told me this is a shotgun that we have, however they didn't tell make or model. Also there were about six people behind the counter and I waited about fifteen minutes to talk to someone, and I was the only one there.

"My go to is Bullseye. Then sportco. And Federal Way Discount Guns. WGS in lakewood is good as well. Mary's is a fantastic shop, but selection is slim."

If you have a "go to" gun shop then why the post asking where to go to buy a first gun?
I think I get it.
It wasn't really a troll post.
More like a "campfire post" where we could all "talk about it".

:confused:

Well the thing was the sales person told me this is a shotgun that we have, however they didn't tell make or model. Also there were about six people behind the counter and I waited about fifteen minutes to talk to someone, and I was the only one there.
Gotta laugh at it now man! I've had those experiences. And yeah, definitely want to let people know!

Cool. Now I'm going to get an A.R but just need more information so I can make my own mind up
There is a place that will take care of this for you. US Army recruiting branches at the Tacoma Mall or Spanaway.

They will get you an M-16, M249, M9, lots of training, and all the ammo you need. Some other bennies, too - like a paycheck. Give my Uncle Sugar a call...

Part of having a successful gun buying experience is knowing what you want. No one knows it all but if your looking for a handgun know if you want a pistol or a revolver and know what its intended purpose will be. The more information you can provide the clerk the better he/she can help you. You want to buy a gun the clerk wants to sell one. You will find those special salesman that tell you they know it all - those are the ones I take note of and stay away from.
Its also useful to know the caliber, general size, and brand. Read stuff, watch YouTube videos, and talk with people on forums until you know those things. Gun stores aren't a good place to learn those things. It takes hours and they haven't got the time. And plenty of clerks don't know much. Plus their incentive is to convince you something they have is what you need. Not to help you find the best thing for you. And they can be rude and ignore you and spend their time jawing with other clerks or customers unlikely to buy anything if you go up to the gun counter looking at everything. Your job is to learn enough before you go in so you know the makes and models you might want to look at and ask to handle whichever of those they have. Look at pics of stuff so you can recognize them. If you say "I'd like to see that (SW) 686 snubby," you'll get immediate attention. And you probably won't get a bunch of gratuitous advise. If you know enough about the gun to recognize it and express interest you probably don't need anything from them other than to handle the gun.

By the way, learn to handle guns respectfully. Be aware of gun shop courtesy. Check any gun handed to you to make sure its not loaded, even if the clerk has just done so, which he should have. Don't point the gun at or sweep anyone. With revolvers never flip them to close the cylinder. That can damage the crane or surfaces that control cylinder and screw up timing. After trying how gun feels and points for you, ask permission before dry firing. And dry fire just once or twice. If the clerk says no to the dry fire point out that you would never buy a gun without dry firing. There's probably something wrong with the gun if the dry fire request is refused. I've had clerks refuse initially but back off when it was clear that I would not buy that or any other gun without dry firing. Its legit to ask how a semiautomatic works, if you don't know.

Last Edited:

The OP messed up their quote from my post, as those were my words.

Adventure sports

User 1234 said:

Double this, I have known Moe for over twenty years; he can get snarky sometimes but a good guy at heart...

User 1234 said:

Double this, I have known Moe for over twenty years; he can get snarky sometimes but a good guy at heart...
Sportco is good. That's how I found my basic handgun class and lessons. They have cool stuff for the outdoors.

User 1234 said:

I heartily disagree.

The perspective changes when you're standing on the other side of the counter. IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION, no discount is worth the amount of spite that 'man' has for his customers. He will never get another penny from me or anyone in my family.

I heartily disagree.

The perspective changes when you're standing on the other side of the counter. IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION, no discount is worth the amount of spite that 'man' has for his customers. He will never get another penny from me or anyone in my family.
To each their own, but to note you never told us "why" you feel this way so we can only guess to the reason. (I also do not know about the "other side of the counter" comment since I was always on the customer side?? Did you work there??

To each their own, but to note you never told us "why" you feel this way so we can only guess to the reason. (I also do not know about the "other side of the counter" comment since I was always on the customer side?? Did you work there??
Yes, I did, but I've said enough. There are places I refuse to do business with. FWDG is one of them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top