JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Should I go to a gun shop, Big 5, Bass or worst. I heard of one called Mary's Pistols shop. Stopped by it was not a good one.
I've only been to Mary's once on a recommendation from a friend. They were fine to me but I'm old and have been into guns for a while. They do kind of look like a pawn shop from a movie. :) I've been to a few Big 5's though, and none of them knew diddly about guns. Someone from your area will be along to recommend a good place for a newbie. Oh, there's DirectDrive now. There will be more.

Try a local Ranch & Home, D&B Supply, Coastal Farm & Ranch or Grange Co-Op. BiMart is good for price, but hit or miss on selection in stock.

If you have a local FFL who does not charge an arm and a leg for the background check, you can order a complete lower from AERO or Palmetto State Armory, then pair it with a complete upper sent to your house later.

Go ahead and look at the reviews for rainier arms on google. They have lime 1.5k 5 star reviews. I have a few of their "cheaper" barrels and the one (only one) I've shot so far shot VERY well.
They are extremely knowledgeable (probably the best around bar none)
Their shop is busy, I was just down there last week picking up a new alpha trigger but they will help and answer any questions you have. You can also buy guns there but their prices are somewhat on the boutique side (meaning high) but then again their sales are worth looking for.

Sporting systems is another fantastic option if you ever near the Oregon boarder.

Other than those two, I buy online and ship to a local FFL. Aim surplus and classic firearms are always decent prices. I usually ship to like brown box ammo or someone else who does cheaper ($15 transfers)
I have bought from cabelas a few times before and they are fine to deal with just probably not the most knowledgeable.
I wouldn't go to big five to save my life!

Good luck.

Cabela's in Lacy
Given you reside in Tacoma, I second Cabela's in Lacy. You could go to their sister store, Bass Pro Shops in Tacoma on the other side of I-5 from Oak Tree Park, but the staff seems a bit more attentive at the Lacy Cabela's and that should result in a more enjoyable experience for you. Cabela's is also a prime shopping location for your ancillary needs beyond ammunition (buy a gun and you'll be surprised how many ancillary needs crop up).

What kind of gun are you looking for, and for what purpose? Just asking out of curiosity since it is your first gun.

What's wrong with Mary's Pistols? I haven't been there since I moved out of the area, but Dan & Mary were always good people. Did something change?

Wherever you decide to go. Just do the homework on what you want. Some places will meet or beat prices. be confident in what you want. Edc, nightstand, hunting, precision.

Cabela's in Lacy
Cabelas's really I stood at the counter for about a half an hour while four staff talked behind the counter about their drinking escapades the prior evening!! Take you business to a local small business find out here who has had good experiences with them . If they are worth their salt they wont just try to sell but educate you on your purchase .

I think you are going about this from the wrong angle.

To really get a full immersion experience in gun store service, you could travel to the Gun Room in Portland. After that, every other shop you go to will seem fabulous in comparison.

-E-

If you were in Oregon Id say to head down to "The Gun Room". :D
You'll get.. an experience alright.
Grilling425: ZA-Survivalist is being cheeky. You are strongly (STRONGLY) advised NOT to go to "The Gun Room." You are new to gun culture and unless you want to get totally and irretrievably turned off from guns forever, stay away.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top