JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
DOJ Report on Where Criminals Get Their Guns | National Review

PDF
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/suficspi16.pdf

Table 5 is interesting. Data is self reported - that is the authors asked the prisoners.
upload_2019-1-10_10-27-57.png

I dont' find in the report a question I have long been curious about.

Were they lawfully in possession of the firearm.
- That is, at the time of the crime, were they legally able to posses that firearm?

I dont' find in the report a question I have long been curious about.

Were they lawfully in possession of the firearm.
- That is, at the time of the crime, were they legally able to posses that firearm?
Probably 80-90% of the time, no. Estimate based on how many of them are repeat offenders, and based on how many of them start small (drugs, property theft, domestic violence, physical fights, DUIs, that sort of thing):rolleyes: of course, I could be way off... but...
1) its a felony charge to possess a gun/firearm while committing a crime (usually a felony itself) in many States.. now, this usually refer to the criminal having a firearm in their hands or on their person..but it brings up a good question of what constitute possession of firearms :rolleyes: some States seek to redefine certain acts into felonies.. thus making it possible on paper to increase the number of "felons in possession of illegal/prohibited guns" :rolleyes:
2) unlawful use of firearm, ie, during the commission of a crime.

Notice :

Despite that minuscule percentage, gun controllers are obsessed with the "gun show loophole" Gun Shows | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

That's because they don't really want to "end gun violence", they really only want to burden/punish non criminal gun owners, period. Not one anti really thinks that any of their gun control proposals will stop crime. They just despise gun owners so much, that they will do anything, I repeat anything, to try to punish/infringe/inconvenience us.

Ray

Facts don't matter to those who deny the obvious truth, instead they tug heart strings with a bunch of 15 year old brats shed crocodile tears and stomp their feet! Why Oh Why must folks have there guns, cant they just raise petunias and be happy!

So if you take the number by state prisoner assuming nation wide (1,211,200) and divide that by 50 states thats 24,224 per state according to this pdf's 2016 recording.

So if oregon has 24,224 roughly in prison for gun related crime out of a total population of 4,180,000~ well lets see what that total population is for over all state level gun crime based of this survey's study.

0.57% are in prison in at the state level for firearm related crime. This of course increases the % for crimes but remember, the over all pool size is 24,224 broken down by state roughly. In reality the % of gun related crimes would go lower for factoring in how they acquired weapons through store bought or at a gun show but go higher for illegal means. (thanks 4473!!)

More you know!

Facts don't matter to those who deny the obvious truth, instead they tug heart strings with a bunch of 15 year old brats shed crocodile tears and stomp their feet!

^. Agreed. It became evident long ago that the whole "gun control," or as they claim, "gun safety" (as if we believe that) narrative is driven by irrational emotionalism rather than real world data.

Violent crime has fallen dramatically in the last quarter century, and yet we routinely see "(snivel) epidemic of gun violence" in the headlines.

Thanks for BJS.gov link

Still unsure why military service/ no military service or citizen/non citizen doesn't add up to 100%
Too much math

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads