JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mental illness… there are ideologies that I consider to be mental illness because despite empirical data, and clear evidence staring them in the face they cling to their desired vision of reality rather than reality.

Me too, but I wouldn't have someone committed for it. My concern is that some people would.
Yeah…

Letting them vote to ultimately strip Americans of their right to bear arms, leading to the eventual collapse of the nation and eventual genocide by the millions… not a big deal.

Exaggeration, maybe, how many societies have collapsed over throughout history and what road of seemingly innocuous decisions put them on that path to destruction?

1655447075712.png

Examples of societies that had small and incremental steps of seemingly innocuous decisions that eventually led to very big problems and lots of death and tragedy?

The 20th century… take a pick, there's lots of those.

Here's one:
so you were referring to combodians, not americans, with regard to espousers of ideologies ignoring empirical data and clear evidence?

so you were referring to combodians, not americans, with regard to espousers of ideologies ignoring empirical data and clear evidence?
A dated, but still interesting read linked below on what helps prevent and reduce crime, no where on that list is defunding police and hampering them being effective in their duties by failing to prosecute criminals and the result being a revolving door of arrests and releases to the point that police stop bothering with arrests because they know it is pointless.

A lot of politicians championed the idea of "defunding the police" some city councils around the nation even voted to do so. The resulting spike in crime was entirely predictable, but the ideologies of people who maintain those views ignored the reality of the matter.

We could also talk about gun control and 2nd amendment restrictions and see that locations with very strict gun control laws still experience some of the worst violence in the nation and cities with none of those laws by comparison, don't. If guns were the the problem we would see bloodshed non-stop everywhere in the country. We don't, because the guns themselves are not the problem. It is the people with criminal intent to harm others that are the problem. The ideology of those who wish to ban guns often cite a desire to save lives, what they ignore about reality is that locking up the criminals for a long time would save lives regardless of the gun laws but they'd rather scapegoat an inanimate object than be hard on criminals.

A dated, but still interesting read linked below on what helps prevent and reduce crime, no where on that list is defunding police and hampering them being effective in their duties by failing to prosecute criminals and the result being a revolving door of arrests and releases to the point that police stop bothering with arrests because they know it is pointless.
A lot of politicians championed the idea of "defunding the police" some city councils around the nation even voted to do so. The resulting spike in crime was entirely predictable, but the ideologies of people who maintain those views ignored the reality of the matter.
kind of a narrow view, tho.. how does any of that address police brutality and general unprofessionalism and authoritarian attitudes that escalate easily deescalatable situations? defunding police is addressing police overreach, it doesnt have much to do with crime prevention. society decided more crime was better than continuing to allow police to act like gods. at least until some level of professionalism can be attained in policing.

who thought the anti-cop (for lack of a better term) movement would decrease crime? that wasnt the goal. so i dont see any links to mental illness there

We could also talk about gun control and 2nd amendment restrictions and see that locations with very strict gun control laws still experience some of the worst violence in the nation and cities with none of those laws by comparison, don't. If guns were the the problem we would see bloodshed non-stop everywhere in the country. We don't, because the guns themselves are not the problem. It is the people with criminal intent to harm others that are the problem. The ideology of those who wish to ban guns often cite a desire to save lives, what they ignore about reality is that locking up the criminals for a long time would save lives regardless of the gun laws but they'd rather scapegoat an inanimate object than be hard on criminals.
totally agree here... the Left as a whole is wholly wrong on gun control. but the Right is wholly wrong about stuff too - doesnt make them all mentally ill, does it?

kind of a narrow view, tho.. how does any of that address police brutality and general unprofessionalism and authoritarian attitudes that escalate easily deescalatable situations? defunding police is addressing police overreach, it doesnt have much to do with crime prevention. society decided more crime was better than continuing to allow police to act like gods. at least until some level of professionalism can be attained in policing.

who thought the anti-cop (for lack of a better term) movement would decrease crime? that wasnt the goal. so i dont see any links to mental illness there

totally agree here... the Left as a whole is wholly wrong on gun control. but the Right is wholly wrong about stuff too - doesnt make them all mentally ill, does it?
We could just look at raw numbers. How many people died at the hands of police brutality on average year after year compared to how many people die as a result of criminal acrivity that regular and effective policing could help prevent but with reduced police presence or means of effective policing, will not be able to prevent. It could be described as mental illness to not care about those metrics and instead just push an ideology.

Do we care about lives saved in total volume, or just lives of people killed by police? These are the consequences that were not thought of.

I'd be curious to hear your opinions on what the right is wholly wrong on. If you say "compromising on gun rights," - yep, I agree with that.

We could just look at raw numbers. How many people died at the hands of police brutality on average year after year compared to how many people die as a result of criminal acrivity that regular and effective policing could help prevent but with reduced police presence or means of effective policing, will not be able to prevent. It could be described as mental illness to not care about those metrics and instead just push an ideology.

Do we care about lives saved in total volume, or just lives of people killed by police? These are the consequences that were not thought of.

I'd be curious to hear your opinions on what the right is wholly wrong on. If you say "compromising on gun rights," - yep, I agree with that.
but the issue isnt deaths - its police behaving badly. they work for us, they fcked up and got fired. we'll hopefilly hire better help going forward.

any transition brings some degree of chaos. freedom loving men accept some level of risk for their freedom. the options are not A) cops are gods, bow before them, and B) no cops at all, you all are screwed!

nein - we demand C) cops are employed for the purpose of serving and protecting their communities- not self-gratification- and they must behave legally, ethically, professionally at all times. so the old system is fired, new system implementation in progress.

thats the idea anyway - obviously it has only been minimally successful (most police departments have experienced zero defunding)

but anyway- sound reasoning. you'd even completely agree, as the independent, self-disciplining, freedom loving American that you surely think of yourself as, but its currently a politicalized divisive topic and it just happens to be that conservatives have been assigned the cop-worshippers position this time around. used to be the libs, and i really hated em mostly for that- but now its you guys over there on the Right. for no better reason than libs started this movement.. so no real conservative could possibly support it. no, real conservatives are for exactly everything liberals are against and against absolutely everything liberals are for. cuz go team.

but the issue isnt deaths - its police behaving badly. they work for us, they fcked up and got fired. we'll hopefilly hire better help going forward.

any transition brings some degree of chaos. freedom loving men accept some level of risk for their freedom. the options are not A) cops are gods, bow before them, and B) no cops at all, you all are screwed!

nein - we demand C) cops are employed for the purpose of serving and protecting their communities- not self-gratification- and they must behave legally, ethically, professionally at all times. so the old system is fired, new system implementation in progress.

thats the idea anyway - obviously it has only been minimally successful (most police departments have experienced zero defunding)

but anyway- sound reasoning. you'd even completely agree, as the independent, self-disciplining, freedom loving American that you surely think of yourself as, but its currently a politicalized divisive topic and it just happens to be that conservatives have been assigned the cop-worshippers position this time around. used to be the libs, and i really hated em mostly for that- but now its you guys over there on the Right. for no better reason than libs started this movement.. so no real conservative could possibly support it. no, real conservatives are for exactly everything liberals are against and against absolutely everything liberals are for. cuz go team.
The loosely defined cause has lackluster results, go figure. Some people don't really care about criminals and drug addicts dying, even if they make giant busts of their face and glorify them as some great American.

Here's the kicker. In every big city, the mayor is a democrat, the city council are democrats, the school boards members are democrats, the city attorneys are democrats, just about every position of authority is held by a democrat. Then, they'll say that "the system" is holding people down, and not recognize that they are referring to their own political ideology as the culprit for all the crap they complain about.

The loosely defined cause has lackluster results, go figure. Some people don't really care about criminals and drug addicts dying, even if they make giant busts of their face and glorify them as some great American.

Here's the kicker. In every big city, the mayor is a democrat, the city council are democrats, the school boards members are democrats, the city attorneys are democrats, just about every position of authority is held by a democrat. Then, they'll say that "the system" is holding people down, and not recognize that they are referring to their own political ideology as the culprit for all the crap they complain about.
Well said!!!

I would not object to a $1-$2K option for cars that adds kevlar liners to doors/trunks/etc. and an inner film on the glass windows that make it more bullet resistant.

That and a panic button for a very loud alarm, and maybe another that disables the car 60 seconds after the key fob is removed from the car (mine disables the car after it is shut off, but it would be nice if it did it after a short delay instead - my key fob also has a panic button function).

I learned the other day that if the car is locked (alarm turns on when car is locked), if I raise the hood, the alarm sounds - but it is not very loud - maybe I should add a horn that is louder?

Not many carjackers here on the mountain though and I rarely go into the city.

I would not object to a $1-$2K option for cars that adds kevlar liners to doors/trunks/etc. and an inner film on the glass windows that make it more bullet resistant.

That and a panic button for a very loud alarm, and maybe another that disables the car 60 seconds after the key fob is removed from the car (mine disables the car after it is shut off, but it would be nice if it did it after a short delay instead - my key fob also has a panic button function).

I learned the other day that if the car is locked (alarm turns on when car is locked), if I raise the hood, the alarm sounds - but it is not very loud - maybe I should add a horn that is louder?

Not many carjackers here on the mountain though and I rarely go into the city.
Personally, I'm a big fan of that South African blowtorch thingy... Yeah...

Personally, I'm a big fan of that South African blowtorch thingy... Yeah...
Unfortunately that and electrocuting people who touch your car, is not legal here - unless you are the POTUS, in which case the bodyguards have gun ports and I suspect other means of fending off attackers - I wouldn't be surprised if they had grenades to drop out those ports, or maybe even launchers.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top