JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For me, as I'm saving up and planning out an actual hobby room/shop space.... I want (want, not necessarily can get right away) the following items in the shop...

Huge fabric cutting table with scissor guides and a glass top for hot knife.

Fabric roll racks

Webbing roll rack

Tipout/angled long hardware bins for hardware

Sturdy wood bench with Line 24 snap setter lever tool, a Lift-The-Dot setter, a Gypsy snap setter, and probably a webbing hot wire cutting machine

An industrial walking foot straight stitch machine like a Juki 1541 or 1508

An industrial 42-stitch automatic bartack machine, Juki 1900 type or similar, for MOLLE and sling type webbing

A Singer 20U type Artisan zigzag/straight stitch machine for lighter materials

A heavy duty industrial 4-5 thread overlocker/serger (Juki MO-2400 series is one example)

A space for my domestic machines to work on the wife and kid's clothing if needed. (Or my current sewing desk)

Plenty of storage for thread cones, bobbins, tools; probably on a pegboard organizer

A closet type OR large flat artwork/poster sized cabinet to hold poster board patterns of various pouches, vests, backpacks, and armor carriers

A loading dock would be ideal for moving machines out for repairs or maintenance but I'd settle for a garage door :D

And then in one corner would be a wall mounted drop down draft board for drawing out patterns, art work, designs.

Needs to be big enough that I don't feel cramped.. probably would be as large as a 2 car garage?

What's yours? Woodworking, machining, fabricating, boating, welding, gunsmithing, computers, photography..... etc... no sex dungeon types, we're trying to keep this public :D

:s0064:

Mine isn't my ideal, but it's what fits the space I have. When we moved here the first thing I did was get some graph paper and draw an accurate layout of the shop area. I even drew the walls, laid out flat along the floor plan so I could plan the electrical and air system. Then I cut out paper representations of all the equipment, benches, cabinets, etc. that were going to be in it, including the necessary working space for them. Now you can experiment with the layout. Almost nothing wound up where I originally thought it would be. Since my space is limited lots of things are on wheels. This makes them easy to store and easy to move out of the way when necessary.

Mine isn't my ideal, but it's what fits the space I have. When we moved here the first thing I did was get some graph paper and draw an accurate layout of the shop area. I even drew the walls, laid out flat along the floor plan so I could plan the electrical and air system. Then I cut out paper representations of all the equipment, benches, cabinets, etc. that were going to be in it, including the necessary working space for them. Now you can experiment with the layout. Almost nothing wound up where I originally thought it would be. Since my space is limited lots of things are on wheels. This makes them easy to store and easy to move out of the way when necessary.
Most industrial sewing machines of a standard size are mounted into 24x48 sized tables, with the exception of the 20-30" long armed machines which requires much larger tables. From the list of machines I would like to have, they're all in 24x48 tables, some are 240V 3 phases, but I think the ones I want can be had with 110V standard power. 4 sewing machine tables of a standard footprint. This means I could put them all on one side, or in an "island" layout that would be 8 ft by 4 ft, with a central power outlet in the middle of the island with 4 to 8 outlets. The cutting table ideally would be 6ft wide by 10 ft long or so, with a roll bar across to hold fabric rolls for cutting. The majority of tactical/outdoors fabric comes under 5 ft wide but some like the XL fabrics from Ripstop By The Roll are 75 inches wide so that'd require some thinking.

20x20 space, basically a smallish 2 car garage or a mediumish outbuilding shop
Cutting table is largest item but looking online it doesn't seem to be feasible for the size I want without going modular.. hm can adjust quite a bit.
Machine 1 can be a bartacker, for attaching webbing to panels.

Machine 2 would be a 4-5 thread overlocker

Machine 3 could be a walking foot straight stitch for heavy fabrics.

Machine 4 can be a 20U class for lighter weight fabric projects that need both zig zag and straight, may have binding tape attachment or not.

Fabric rolls can be stored under the cutting table.
Old sewing table would be next to sturdy bench with tool and equipment storage. Also likely to have stuff on walls like pegboard organizers.

Drafting board and pattern storage cabinet on the opposite side of the machines.

Hardware storage would be wherever I can fit them. Click to enlarge
20220121_204632.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top