JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just sayin. I don't mind people from outside the NW joining in on all the discussion and everything else, but it is really a pain looking at ads from different parts of the US. If I wanted to buy a gun from somewhere else I would look on another site.

NWFA Mission Statement :

NorthwestFirearms.com was founded with three goals in mind, which comprise our mission statement:

1. Provide a family friendly online community for firearm enthusiasts of the Northwest to meet other enthusiasts, discuss various topics, share news, buy, sell, & trade, organize events, and much more.

2. Provide a resource for firearm owners to organize themselves for the purpose of protecting the second amendment and our firearm rights, as well as defeating gun-control legislation and anti-gun candidates.

3. Spread the message of safe firearm use and ownership, while promoting self defense, shooting sports, hunting, and collecting.

Sorry if I am the only one that feels this way.

It's a free country; well somewhat. I understand this forum is primarily meant for people in the NW, but if someone from somewhere else wants to join and post something, more power to them. I look at it as an opportunity to take a gander at something that I may have been looking for that I haven't seen from any of the classified posts from folks in the NW, unless Joey feels differently

The worst any of us can say is no.

I would think we would want to welcome folks from other parts of the country that might have goods that we would be interested here in the NW. That's kind of the beauty of the internet.

On a side note, we should be welcoming folks from different parts of the country that share our interests and pro 2A agenda.

Just my $.02.

It's a free country; well somewhat. I understand this forum is primarily meant for people in the NW, but if someone from somewhere else wants to join and post something, more power to them. I look at it as an opportunity to take a gander at something that I may have been looking for that I haven't seen from any of the classified posts from folks in the NW, unless Joey feels differently

The worst any of us can say is no.

I would think we would want to welcome folks from other parts of the country that might have goods that we would be interested here in the NW. That's kind of the beauty of the internet.

On a side note, we should be welcoming folks from different parts of the country that share our interests and pro 2A agenda.

Just my $.02.

I agree that people from outside the northwest should be more than welcome to this site, just not the classifieds.

Us staff members are currently discussing this amongst ourselves, but this thread would be a good way for us to hear some of the opinions of the members.

I'm moving it to the Questions, Comments, Ideas, & Announcements section ;)

I agree with the Boss... I think it's awesome to have people from all over the country join in the forums and such but I personally think the classifieds should be for us in the NW. I just think that if you continue to let everyone from everywhere put stuff in the classifieds it can quickly get overrun with stuff on the other side of the country. I can only speak for myself but if I want to buy guns from across the country and do the FFL thing then I'll go to gunbroker, etc. But I personally prefer and rely on this site for my gun purchases now and don't want to have to sift through all the ads from Texas, Nebraska, Maine, etc when I'm only wanting to buy local in FTF transactions... So maybe a specific classified section for outside NW sales? Just my 2 pennies...

Since this is out in the open I will give my personal non staff opinion. I feel we should never exclude anyone from NWFA we can't grow as a forum or grow as a gun community if we start making discriminatory rules.

As for them in the classified Ads my opinion is that it is premature to make a rule at this time as it isn't yet a widespread issue. As to the issue itself my concerns are one that the members are safe from fraudulent practices that are not a problem with FTF sales and my second concern is purely selfish in that I don't want to lose out on a good deal to someone out of town. :p

I have kept a close eye on the out of state members in the classified section as I am very weary of fraud, the members should always consider that an out of state sale could go sideways and there will be little you can do about it realistically. On the other hand I look at out of state members like pinkhamr for example who is thus far had no problems doing deals and also contributes to the forum in a positive way.

In considering out of state member rules we need to classify these members as out of state forum participatory members or out of state gun trading board spammers. The easy way to do this is take the words of there Ad and do a search, if they are gun board spammers you will see the same Ad at many forums.

Discuss.

i think its kind of cool that others from other states are joining in and i personally welcome them . I'm a member of calguns as well which is a California board and have heard no complaints and have picked a couple deals there.

as far as the WTS WTT OR WA they might just want to add OTHER and then the seller/buyer can put in state in the title.

I do like the board a lot since its a local board with that hometown feel, but i would not want to shut firearm enthusistist out.

but then again maybe i would not want the other states like Texas see what a bunch of whiners some of are and come over and kick our well just kidding

What about creating a non NW sub forum so if folks didn't want to be bothered with non NW ads, they wouldn't have to sift thru them? Still let them come up under general discussion forum, but for folks that are specifically looking for deals in the NW, they could exclude non NW deals if they weren't interested.

As for Trlsmn's concerns about fraud from non NW members, I think all of us here have seen issues with NW members as well. Crooks are universal and the NW has just as many of them as any other region.

I do like the idea of requiring non Northwest Ads to include the state within their Ad title.

And yes Cougfan2 we have more than our share locally but at least I know I can reach out and touch them! :p

I dont think you should exclude non NW members from discussions or Classified ads. Adding the state the seller is in is a good idea, or just give an out of the northwest section. of course most will not follow this, and the mods will have to move all the ads, so that is probably impractical.

But for the forum to grow, and bring together the gun owning community it has to grow outside the northwest also.

I know everyone in the northwest is intellectually superior. but people in other states "could" add something also. including more deals on more guns.

One may be able to add a "State" drop-down option that is required for market items. The poster would have to select their state in order to post the for-sale item. The items could be auto-sorted to NW or out-of-NW sale items. It would take some programming, but would help in the problem when the site grows to that potential.

Besides that, I agree that the site should be open to all gun enthusiasts.

There are a MULTITUDE of other forums covering basically every type and manufacturer of firearms available. I appreciate the fact this is a NORTHWEST FIREARMS forum and vote to keep it that way.
GunsAmerica, GunBroker, Auction Arms, M1911. org to name a few have Classified fora covering the US.

my .02

I think we should be able to SEARCH by state. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Other. If I have to go through an FFL, I don't care if it's Washington or New York. You still have to pay the FFL fee and pay shipping, and you'll get your firearm in 1-2 days. Since I'm in Oregon, I would love to be able to search Oregon only for a face-to-face transaction.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top