JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Youtube might have reviews of them being tested. Physically they feel like they are built like a brick bubblegum house. I only ran a mag through it so far to function test it in a Palmetto AKP which is a 10.5 barrel AK pistol. Not a lot of testing, I know, but I didn't want to burn through a lot of ammo, I just wanted to see if there was anything obviously an issue.

For reference, I only use Glock OEM mags and refuse to own any Korean glock mags.

Edit:

Those do look really good. Maybe the Koreans have finally stumbled upon a mag design they can actually make without f'ing them up.

The Ak74 is an absolute pleasure to shoot in my opinion…the 5.45 x 39 mm is lighter and has a much better rhythm than the 7.62 x 39. Unfortunately it will take some savvy to find a good one along with ammo and mags. I built (2) off Bulgarian kits and wish I had never sold them and all those NIW Bakelites now.

The Ak74 is an absolute pleasure to shoot in my opinion…the 5.45 x 39 mm is lighter and has a much better rhythm than the 7.62 x 39. Unfortunately it will take some savvy to find a good one along with ammo and mags. I built (2) off Bulgarian kits and wish I had never sold them and all those NIW Bakelites now.
20220305_170516.jpg

Just picked up another tantal recently.

I would say it's not a great "1st" ak.

Which is why a 7.62x39 gun is the 6920 round of AKs.

WBP Fox (Polish)
Zastava M70 (Yugo/Serbia)

Not a fan of the Arsenal with the 90 degree gas port.
Cosmetic yes, I just like a traditional slant brake and slanted gas port 47 style.
Arsenal is 74 style.

Unless they have updated them with steel reinforced feed lips AK PMAGs are a hard pass for me. Never could justify the crazy cost of Bakelite mags, but then I'm not a collector, I use my stuff.
While the importance of steel-reinforced lugs is well understood due to normal stresses/wear & tear, and steel-reinforced spines for the strength/stability of the mag body...

There's mixed opinions about the need for steel-reinforced feed lips on polymer mags. There are those that are of the thinking that metal reinforced polymer feed-lips are more susceptible to becoming bent/deformed; potentially adversely affecting the operation of the mag. It is only a thin strip of metal reinforcing the mostly polymer lips.

While I personally don't have any AK(M) PMAGs, I do have some Circle10 and Bakelite mags for variety. However, I paid in the $30-$35 range for them, instead of the $50+ (or even $100 for the latter) price that they seem to fetch these days.

I generally stick with surplus COMBLOC steel mags for the bulk of my AK(M) supply. These can still be found here and there, but they often need a good thorough cleaning/oiling to be gtg.

I think one of the better deals out there for new production is the Bulgarian steel mags. They function flawlessly with polymer followers/floor plates, but being base-priced so low, they can easily be swapped out for steel(CSSPECS or APEX) for those that feel the need to do so.

Most of what has already been said is spot-on...Id search for a WASR-10 or a M70 if you're just getting into the platform. Arsenal are a Solid pick if you've got the money. PSA Still has some kinks to work out, KUSA has been showing promise. Zastava is great and has great service. Remember there can be a lot of hand-fitting required, dont be afraid to get tough with it.

WASR is an AKM so your furniture options are plentiful, M70 is a yugo pattern so you'd have to buy Yugo furniture.

Buying Mags will be a constant adventure, as no AK magwell is exactly the same. What you like and what works for your rifle may not be the same for everyone. Avoid KCI, ProMags, AC-Unity - a pile of $6 mags that dont hold up wont be of much use.

I've had great luck with Romanian and Polish Surplus steel, and new production Bulgarian steel mags. Bakelite is cool for Aesthetics and Reddit bragging. The pmag G3s are pretty solid, as are both flavors made by US Palm. Going middle of the road here is a good idea, you dont need the gucci mags to be proficient, but the action of changing AK mags can be an aggressive one, so its good to have a little more material to work with.

Some sites to watch:
Arms of America
Atlantic Firearms
KUSA
Zastava USA
KVar Corp

A note of clarification regarding Century Arms: the are both a domestic manufacturer and importer. Don't waste your time or money on the ones they manufactured here in the U.S., but there's nothing inherently wrong with the rifles they import. Quality will depend on the original manufacturer in that case.

Stay away from:
CENTURY
RILEY DEFENSE
GEN 1 and 2 PSA

They will fill your face with shrapnel

Do buy:
Arsenal
WBP
Beryl
Zastava- although some have bad covid quality control
Kalashnikov USA
Palmetto Gen3 and up