JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a couple of each AK PMAGs. Two with steel reinforced feed lips and two without. I have not shot enough ammo through them to see a difference. I am leaning toward the steel feed lip style.

I use mostly Chinese ribbed mags for my Norinco AKM and model SKS M, both 5, 10, 30, 40 and 75 round. I also have over 1000 rounds of copper washed chinese 7.62x39 ammo left.

There's mixed opinions about the need for steel-reinforced feed lips on polymer mags. There are those that are of the thinking that metal reinforced polymer feed-lips are more susceptible to becoming bent/deformed; potentially adversely affecting the operation of the mag. It is only a thin strip of metal reinforcing the mostly polymer lips.
When I get home I can post a pic of my circle 10 mag that has no reinforcements and the crack left from leaving it loaded for a short time.

Arsenal, Saiga, or Norincos are the top tier. Yugo Zastava M70s are also very good. I honestly wouldn't hesitate to get a PSA GF3 from what I've seen on the internet and handled in person. I have a WASR 10/63 that is pretty solid but definitely not comparable to my Saiga. There is the Century Arms VSKA (mixed reviews) as well. It all sort of depends on your price range. AKs have gone up a ton in price. Avoid I.O industries.

The AK Pmags are ok, But the parts that are most likely to break on AK mags are the lug and the lips. I would get quality steel mags personally. If you can get US palm or Circle 10 polymer mags, those are amazing, but expensive.

Assuming you are looking at 7.62x39 vs 5.45?

I've got a few Bakelite and honestly I'd stay away from them. They're functional, but the ones you'll find are more for look/novelty than any hard running. The advice from @PNW Partisan: "I would get quality steel mags personally. If you can get US palm or Circle 10 polymer mags" is good advice.

There's mixed opinions about the need for steel-reinforced feed lips on polymer mags. There are those that are of the thinking that metal reinforced polymer feed-lips are more susceptible to becoming bent/deformed; potentially adversely affecting the operation of the mag. It is only a thin strip of metal reinforcing the mostly polymer lips.
One side is still uncracked, but the other is cracked. Maybe 3 months loaded.

D7695966-4497-4C59-938F-8D814B492A60.jpeg 09FF17FD-36B2-457B-95BD-CEE9462B5BB9.jpeg B44E4F9B-1A96-4B25-8F9F-01157C97C7F1.jpeg

I'm of the mind that the feed lips should be reinforced. I should note my green translucent beryl mags are the only non-reinforced poly mags I have that haven't cracked.

One side is still uncracked, but the other is cracked. Maybe 3 months loaded.

View attachment 1164878 View attachment 1164879 View attachment 1164880

I'm of the mind that the feed lips should be reinforced. I should note my green translucent beryl mags are the only non-reinforced poly mags I have that haven't cracked.
I personally don't own any AK mags that don't have steel(or steel reinforced) feed lips...Well that is, except for the TAPCO mag that came with my WASR. For whatever reason, I can't let myself toss it.

My post was simply presenting an alternate point of view about them.

I know of some people that have what they refer to as 'range mags', and others what they refer to as 'SHTF' or 'GTW' mags. I'm personally not of that crowd. I prefer all of my equipment to be built as durable and tough as it can be.

YMMV.

I personally don't own any AK mags that don't have steel(or steel reinforced) feed lips...Well that is, except for the TAPCO mag that came with my WASR. For whatever reason, I can't let myself toss it.

My post was simply presenting an alternate point of view about them.

I know of some people that have what they refer to as 'range mags', and others what they refer to as 'SHTF' or 'GTW' mags. I'm personally not of that crowd. I prefer all of my equipment to be built as durable and tough as it can be.

YMMV.
Lol
My buddy actually likes tapco 30s because they fit his mak 90 just right.
He's gotten 2 or 3 dozen from me for free, because I always get them as part of a private party AK purchase.

I find it ironic that the AK-47 has such a mythical reputation for reliability and simplicity when compared to the M-16/AR-15 family of rifles; yet to get a reliable AK-47 here in America you have to pay at least a grand or more just to get started!

I hope to get an AK some day just because it is so iconic, but I don't see them being worth the cost especially after reading many of these posts and realizing how many crappy ones exist!

I find it ironic that the AK-47 has such a mythical reputation for reliability and simplicity when compared to the M-16/AR-15 family of rifles; yet to get a reliable AK-47 here in America you have to pay at least a grand or more just to get started!

I hope to get an AK some day just because it is so iconic, but I don't see them being worth the cost especially after reading many of these posts and realizing how many crappy ones exist!
They are not worth the cost. They are a completely outdated platform. But I'm still fascinated with them like many other military rifles.

I'm looking to buy one good quality AK 47 patern rifle. What's the Colt or BCM version of a AK ? Also I need to stock up on some mags, what are the PMAG version of AK mags ? I am totally AK ignorant. Thoughts ?
Galil AR is good but the mags are not interchangeable with the standard AK pattern - although they are similar.

Galil ACE:

The GALIL ACE in 7.62x39mm will accept most standard AK-47/AKM type magazines. Note: IWI US, Inc. cannot guarantee compatibility with all AK-47/AKM type magazines.

The GALIL ACE in 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) will accept SR25 type magazines.

The Galil ACE in 5.56x45mm NATO (.223 Remington) will accept AR15/M16/M4 STANAG type magazines.

You can find them OConUS for less than the price of dinner at a steakhouse.
And it's really only the US made AKs that potentially suck.

Think globally.

It may be an "out dated platform" in some regards, but as mentioned, it's still the most popular firearm in the world. Definitely value in either having one or being very familiar with one. Quality almost always costs money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top