JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best IMO opinion is this, and I have tried many.
Obviously for a 762x39, but variations are available for the 1/2-28 AR bbl. It will all but eliminate the fireball and direct the blast/sound forward. In fact, you can buy a thread adapter which will allow one to use the original Bulgarian hider on the AR. I did that because I had some on the bone pile.

View attachment 730742

110% agree. By far the absolute best flash hider for a short barrel.

What does everyone recommend for a good suppressor? I wouldn't mind buying one but they are mostly out of stock. I need get the paperwork and everything as well. I guess I should look online and see what dealers there close by.

Can I buy one that fit on 5.56, 9mm, or 40S&W?

Last Edited:
Dig the suppressors idea, but that gets spendy.

My fav is
Noveske KX3 Flaming Pig Flash Suppressor

NVKX3556P_012.jpg

I also use a Kaw Valley linear comp.

I liked it so much I bought another for my 16"

But man does it throw a fireball. it's now dual purpose pistol and flame thrower.

But either way I wouldn't use it for home defense. unless it was a mob.
Pistols are much better home defense, but will still make you go deaf.

Anyone with experience/feedback?

Don't see where anyone else mentioned this, but the closer to the ignition source from a shorter the barrel, the hotter the gas, the larger the flash.

This is an important consideration in an AR/AK pistol for home defense, which is most often necessary at night. So a flash suppressor fits the bill in an HD scenario, different than say a range gun or with a longer barrel.

Get a Flaming Pig. You won't be sorry.

I also use a Kaw Valley linear comp.

I liked it so much I bought another for my 16"

But man does it throw a fireball. it's now dual purpose pistol and flame thrower.

But either way I wouldn't use it for home defense. unless it was a mob.
Pistols are much better home defense, but will still make you go deaf.

Myself and the misses have gun mufflers that we put on. We have an alarm so if we hear it grab gun mufflers and the then the AR. Given the current situation we keep it set during the day with the motion sensors disabled when we are home. I always have sidearm on me when I get up and until I go to bed.

2 of my AR9 pistols have the linear compensator and 1 has a KAK. I'm like you, disorient the bad guy.
Mike

Though I have not yet tested it on my pistols yet (but will soon), my current hypothesis is that a linear compensator will be more useful in a range/home defense role by directing at least a portion of the blast, flash and noise downrange. In a HD situation I'd rather my weapon disorient the bad guy more than myself. If I was in a night time fire fight scenario flash would become a bigger issue I would think. Just my unproven logic. I just don't see value in a brake when running 5.56 or 9mm and a flash hider seems unnecessary in my non-operator style of plate and paper intimidation.
I do actually hit them occasionally. :rolleyes:

Don't see where anyone else mentioned this, but the closer to the ignition source from a shorter the barrel, the hotter the gas, the larger the flash.

This is an important consideration in an AR/AK pistol for home defense, which is most often necessary at night. So a flash suppressor fits the bill in an HD scenario, different than say a range gun or with a longer barrel.

Get a Flaming Pig. You won't be sorry.

Night flash is why I started using the Smith Vortex on the recommendation of a former Marine scout sniper. Here are a couple of videos using it on standard barrel lengths.

I have no idea (yet) how effective they would be on a shorter barrel. I assume that there would be more flash to control. The night video I watch of the Pig on an SBR showed pretty decent control, but more flash than I saw on the two videos above, granted the barrel lengths are greatly different.

I've got a 7.5" AR that would make your vision blur and fillings fall out. It was NASTY. I put a cheap <$20 "Krinkov
flash can" on it. Like the device 308 pictures, 2 pieces and a retainer ring . Wow. The beast is now almost
pleasant to shoot.

Easy.
Suppressor.

The Sons of Liberty 5.56 Nox flash suppressor looks like a winner too, and you can get one for a suppressor as well.

Suppressor should be the #1 choice. #2 should be a flash hider (my personal opinion of course).

I have a keymo compatible Nox on my BRN180S upper and it is a GD flamethrower. I have a Dead Air flash suppressor on my regular 10.5" and it eliminates the fireball quite nicely.

This is what initially got me to try the JP enterprises flash hider. Best of the bunch at taming flash at a fairly modest price.

Great article! I went from the PWS compensators to the Vortex since I didn't need compensation on my 16" AR's. The article reminded me that I still had them so I might try one on my new 10.5" pistol if the recoil is an issue.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top