JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Easy.
Suppressor.

The Sons of Liberty 5.56 Nox flash suppressor looks like a winner too, and you can get one for a suppressor as well.

Though I have not yet tested it on my pistols (but will soon), my current hypothesis is that a linear compensator will be more useful in a range/home defense role by directing at least a portion of the blast, flash and noise downrange. In a HD situation I'd rather my weapon disorient the bad guy more than myself. If I was in a night time fire fight scenario flash would become a bigger issue I would think. Just my unproven logic. I just don't see value in a brake when running 5.56 or 9mm and a flash hider seems unnecessary in my non-operator style of plate and paper intimidation.
I do actually hit them occasionally. :rolleyes:

Update: Threw a Kaw Valley Linear Comp on an 8" pistol yesterday and ran some American Eagle .223 and a mag of my hot reloads. I have no testing apparatus to get decibel numbers but the volume was maybe slightly less sharp, but the concussive blast was noticeably diminished.

Last Edited:
I run a KVP linear comp on my 8" AR9.
The only time I can see the fireball is at the indoor range, and it's not that distracting.
I like it much better than the A2 style FH that I started with.
72Zlo5Ll.jpg

Range toy also configured for home defense, would probably be the best answer.

I have a 16" FN CHF that I've swapped a scope onto and this 10.5" build is going to be my "main" gun. XPS 2-0 equipped for close range, etc.

I just have an A2 flash hider on my 10.5" pistol and I don't see a huge amount of muzzle flash. I did some testing with Speer JSP as well but maybe it loaded with reduced flash powder? 1188BBC3-0F55-4324-806A-4D0023568E50.jpeg

Last Edited:
Though I have not yet tested it on my pistols yet (but will soon), my current hypothesis is that a linear compensator will be more useful in a range/home defense role by directing at least a portion of the blast, flash and noise downrange. In a HD situation I'd rather my weapon disorient the bad guy more than myself. If I was in a night time fire fight scenario flash would become a bigger issue I would think. Just my unproven logic. I just don't see value in a brake when running 5.56 or 9mm and a flash hider seems unnecessary in my non-operator style of plate and paper intimidation.
I do actually hit them occasionally. :rolleyes:

I run a KVP linear comp on my 8" AR9.
The only time I can see the fireball is at the indoor range, and it's not that distracting.
I like it much better than the A2 style FH that I started with.
View attachment 730730

I'm not done with the the build yet but I'll be using a linear comp on my 12.5", specifically the BRT Covert Comp.

Best IMO opinion is this, and I have tried many.
Obviously for a 762x39, but variations are available for the 1/2-28 AR bbl. It will all but eliminate the fireball and direct the blast/sound forward. In fact, you can buy a thread adapter which will allow one to use the original Bulgarian hider on the AR. I did that because I had some on the bone pile.

962ED707-D0C4-4D50-A0B4-A6915828D31E.jpeg

Anyone with experience/feedback?

If you run a suppressor, make sure that you get the cycling right.
You can do it with:
1) adjustable gas block.
2) combination of weight/springs
3) both of the above.

What you don't want is too much gas back causing the BCG to either not eject properly.

My 300Blackout SBRs (12" barrel) both have cans.
My 5.56 AR pistol (10.5" barrel) does not, as I have had issues with it and the suppressor (AAC M4-2000) and many many FTEj and just haven't gotten to fixing the gas block.

So far I run a Smith Vortex on everything, including the new 5.56 10.5" pistol I just put together.

Agreed that a CAN would be ideal for home defense, but then you are just making it longer, and if I was planning on a CAN I'd be using 300 BO and an adjustable gas block.

For now I'm sticking with the Smith since it KILLS the flash and will grab my noise cancelling ear protection if I'm not going for a pistol.

IMO you don't need a brake or compensator for 5.56. Honestly can't tell between a flash hider and a brake on this mild round.

So far I run a Smith Vortex on everything, including the new 5.56 10.5" pistol I just put together.

I'll check that out. I have a Stag Arms 3G in the parts bin and it comes with the standard birdcage. I'll give it a few rounds before making a change, but I'm pretty sure that I'll end up wanting something to push more of the gas forward.

Using a Geissele .750" Super Gas Block, so no go on adjustments with this build

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads