JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good rant by someone who's tired of looking at the business end of other people's guns.

What?s the big deal? | Gun Nuts

Probably one of the reasons I treat indoor ranges like choosing bathroom stalls:

I try to choose the lane FARTHEST from strangers or people I don't know. Sometimes, you just can't trust folks to be safe... though sad to say, I usually the notice the problem is with younger shooters (20 somethings) rather than the old guys (they usually have their ish together). If I see any problems, I try to give gentle, but firm advice. No big.

Safety first!

Probably one of the reasons I treat indoor ranges like choosing bathroom stalls:

I try to choose the lane FARTHEST from strangers or people I don't know. Sometimes, you just can't trust folks to be safe... though sad to say, I usually the notice the problem is with younger shooters (20 somethings) rather than the old guys (they usually have their ish together). If I see any problems, I try to give gentle, but firm advice. No big.

Safety first!

I think many of my fellow twenty something's missed out on a real gun safety education by being part of the video game generation. Most of them are buying guns when their only experience with them comes from Call of Duty.

We aren't all like that though. Some of us learned young. Anyone, old or young can be dangerous with a loaded gun if they don't come into ownership without a healthy respect for thee potential to cause accidental death or injury in incapable hands.

My invariable response to being in the impact zone of some idiots weapon is, "Hey! Point that thing at yourself!" Said loudly enough to get everyone at the range to stare at this fool. This technique tends to make it him against the range and not him against me so much. And no, I don't really care if I offend, rile, miff, enrage or hurt his little feelings!

Can't aregue with this. Buying a gun puts a huge amount of personal responsibility. Same thing with clearing the gun. There is no such thing as being to careful with a gun. And if you are with some one that has never used one, or has not in a long time... watch them like a hawk......

I'm not for a lot of extra rules but I took my brother in law to a range a long time ago. He was from a country that heavily restricts guns and had no experience. I was not in to it but took him and his girl anyway. First time going to a range BTW other than military. I told the guy taking my money that these two have no experience and do you wanna go over any rules or anything. He looked at me dumbly and said "no have at it!" I told them about pointing downrange and finger off trigger etc. and helped with a few jams, anyway we survived. One thing that struck me was bullet holes all over that place in unusual places other than downrange. even a few through the divider! I hate ranges, ESPECIALLY indoor. Why can't they go over a few basic rules? It wouldn't offend me.

Great read. Totally agree. I always try to grab the lane farthest from everyone and go when it's not busy. Younger folks and the older type guys (the "I've been doing this for 50 years and know how to do it"), tend to probably give the most issues.

Good reminder. Being a new shooter keeping my finger off the trigger is rule number one and is how I have conditioned myself to hold any gun. The safety stays on until the sights are on target and I am sure of the background. A loaded gun is always pointed in a safe direction and all guns are treated as loaded until verified that they are not.

Here is my newbie problem, once I have visually and physically verified that a weapon is unloaded my muzzle discipline goes out the window. I always drop the magazine and lock the slide back at the range when not shooting, but it is like a switch is flipped in my brain and the gun becomes just a piece of metal. For example the other day my son wanted to see my new Bersa, so I retrieved it from the safe, locked the safe, removed magazine, worked the slide and locked it back, then brought it out to the other room and announced unloaded gun. I dropped the slide, decocked the hammer, switched the safety on, inserted the magazine, finger off the trigger and while handing the pistol to my son swept the muzzle across my wife who squawked loudly. I know great example dad.

Any advice other than don't be a dumb*ss?

Good reminder. Being a new shooter keeping my finger off the trigger is rule number one and is how I have conditioned myself to hold any gun. The safety stays on until the sights are on target and I am sure of the background. A loaded gun is always pointed in a safe direction and all guns are treated as loaded until verified that they are not.

Here is my newbie problem, once I have visually and physically verified that a weapon is unloaded my muzzle discipline goes out the window. I always drop the magazine and lock the slide back at the range when not shooting, but it is like a switch is flipped in my brain and the gun becomes just a piece of metal. For example the other day my son wanted to see my new Bersa, so I retrieved it from the safe, locked the safe, removed magazine, worked the slide and locked it back, then brought it out to the other room and announced unloaded gun. I dropped the slide, decocked the hammer, switched the safety on, inserted the magazine, finger off the trigger and while handing the pistol to my son swept the muzzle across my wife who squawked loudly. I know great example dad.

Any advice other than don't be a dumb*ss?

Rule #1 - All guns are always loaded, All the time

Years ago in the mid to late 60's when I was in high school I used to go shooting up on Larch Mtn with a bunch of my friends. There were two of them that when they went shooting with the rest of us made me totally uncomfortable. Individually they were not a problem but get them together they acted like total idiots. I refused to go shooting when both of them were going. Nobody ever got shot, but they sure made me nervous, at an age when young males think they are invincible. But then again stupidity happens in any age group[.

The last time I went to a range with a "safety" officer, I was berated for standing while shooting my pistol. After I pointed out that I had broken none of the long list of rules, he made it a point to tell me it was an unwritten rule and that it was for everyone's safety. According to him, there's no point to standing up while shooting and it makes it much more dangerous... for some reason.

Sometimes they really are looking out for everyone's safety, sometimes they are just being a$$hats.

Joining Izaak Walton was the best thing I've ever done.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top