JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I unfortunately as many did years ago downsized my collection to basic protection so I could pay my bills. I am slowly getting the safe stocked back up.

Now I will get to the point, I have been out of the latest and greatest for the last couple years but want to get a .308 for some long range shooting for fun and maybe a hunting trip (not likely).

If I had a budget of $1000-$1500 with glass what would you buy today? I have owned a Remington 700 PSS .308 and loved it but I see a lot of Savage options and even had a guy tell me today to buy a Ruger American but I am not sure.

When money is tight I can only afford to buy the right option the first time.

I'd recommend either a Savage 10FCP HS Precision, or the Remington 700 LTR. If you're planning on hunting and carrying through the woods, I'd lean more towards the LTR since it has a 20" Heavy Fluted barrel and more traditional profile HS Precision stock.

Just my $0.02

While it is slowly changing for Savage, the nice thing about the Remington 700 are the wide number of options available aftermarket. Triggers, stocks, magazine kits, bolts, etc.

This makes a Remington 700 the much better choice in my eyes.

I live in Salem and may try and head out and get one Monday. Keith's still the best price around or any other options I am missing these days. What should a fair price be? Next question is the glass? Thanks for all the help.

Mobboss,

If I were in your shoes, I would look for a Remington Model 700 AAC-SD. Granted, it does have the Hogue tupperware stock....but the best selling point for it is the fact that it comes factory with a 10 twist barrel, that is threaded. The best part about the 10 twist barrel is the fact that you can run heavy bullets. I am not sure if you would ever want to, but if you could hand load 208 AMAX's and run them sub sonic, they are dead quite out of a suppressor. Any time I buy/build a rifle, I always try and get the fastest twist I can.

As far as a scope.......what are you looking to do? If you want to stay in the $1500 price range......I recommend the Falcon Optics. Granted, these are mil/mil scopes. They are front focal plane, and have the matching turret/reticle feature that is slicker than snot!!! They have 30mm tubes, and so far, in my experience with them, are an excellent deal at their respective price point.

Here is how I would spec out a $1500 dollar kit;
1. Rem M700 AAC-SD $800 ($750 rifle/$50 transfer <--If you have to order it)
2. Falcon Optic $450 (get the 5-25 as the reticle subtension is thinner)
3. 20 MOA base $80
4. American Rifle Company M10 Rings $160

For a total of $1490. I really like this kit, as it is an excellent platform to build on. If in time you decide to sell the scope, you can sell them for $350 all day. The rings will last a lifetime!! The base will stay with the rifle, and as far as the rifle is concerned, the only thing you will throw away is the stock.

Hope this helps.

Mobboss,

If I were in your shoes, I would look for a Remington Model 700 AAC-SD. Granted, it does have the Hogue tupperware stock....but the best selling point for it is the fact that it comes factory with a 10 twist barrel, that is threaded. The best part about the 10 twist barrel is the fact that you can run heavy bullets. I am not sure if you would ever want to, but if you could hand load 208 AMAX's and run them sub sonic, they are dead quite out of a suppressor. Any time I buy/build a rifle, I always try and get the fastest twist I can.

As far as a scope.......what are you looking to do? If you want to stay in the $1500 price range......I recommend the Falcon Optics. Granted, these are mil/mil scopes. They are front focal plane, and have the matching turret/reticle feature that is slicker than snot!!! They have 30mm tubes, and so far, in my experience with them, are an excellent deal at their respective price point.

Here is how I would spec out a $1500 dollar kit;
1. Rem M700 AAC-SD $800 ($750 rifle/$50 transfer <--If you have to order it)
2. Falcon Optic $450 (get the 5-25 as the reticle subtension is thinner)
3. 20 MOA base $80
4. American Rifle Company M10 Rings $160

For a total of $1490. I really like this kit, as it is an excellent platform to build on. If in time you decide to sell the scope, you can sell them for $350 all day. The rings will last a lifetime!! The base will stay with the rifle, and as far as the rifle is concerned, the only thing you will throw away is the stock.

Hope this helps.

Wow what a great write up thank you.

I was just reading a thread between the LTR/Tactical & AAC-SD. Most everyone mentioned the 1/10 twist as you did as a big selling point. They all also mentioned the stock in the same way you did.

I am glad I asked the question that I know had been asked 1000 times because its these little things I needed to know.

You will get the most performance for your dollar from a Savage. Savage factory teams are cleaning up in long range competitions in recent years using basically off the rack rifles.

Savage 10 series offers good value. Remington 700 AAC is a really good platform to start with and upgrade.

Both base models in each series will probably need a stock upgrade eventually: Bell and Carlson, Manners or AI depending on budget, don't require bedding.

Optics as mentioned the Vortex PST, SWFA SS, or Busnell HDMR will probably push you over the budget, but are all very good optics with FFP, mil/mil adjustments and good construction.

Or go the other route with a 700 5R and a SWFA SS 10x42 for an extremely basic optic with a solid rifle out of the box.

With either Remington set up, an aftermarket trigger will probably be eventually added: Timney is a good value.

Savage 10 series offers good value. Remington 700 AAC is a really good platform to start with and upgrade.

Both base models in each series will probably need a stock upgrade eventually: Bell and Carlson, Manners or AI depending on budget, don't require bedding.

Optics as mentioned the Vortex PST, SWFA SS, or Busnell HDMR will probably push you over the budget, but are all very good optics with FFP, mil/mil adjustments and good construction.

Or go the other route with a 700 5R and a SWFA SS 10x42 for an extremely basic optic with a solid rifle out of the box.

With either Remington set up, an aftermarket trigger will probably be eventually added: Timney is a good value.

Thank you. I am starting the hunt for one. Maybe if this thread stays open someone will come up with a complete set up.

<broken link removed>

That is about as complete as a shopping list as one can get to piece together a basic entry level precision rifle.

Otherwise, I would also recommend looking at a Howa 1500 platform.

<broken link removed>

I think the Howas are better built than either Savage or Remington. But the aftermarket support isn't as large, which may be a non issue if you're not the tinkering kind of person.

<broken link removed>

That is about as complete as a shopping list as one can get to piece together a basic entry level precision rifle.

Otherwise, I would also recommend looking at a Howa 1500 platform.

<broken link removed>

I think the Howas are better built than either Savage or Remington. But the aftermarket support isn't as large, which may be a non issue if you're not the tinkering kind of person.

I second that motion...If I decide to build a dedicated bench gun I'd really like to work with a Howa M1500. The Vanguard/Howa my fiance hunts with in .270win is solid, smooth and built very well. Shoots MOA or better consistently on bags.
At least something to consider...

Sakos and Tikkas are both great rifles, but probably push the entire package price way over the range of the OP's budget since their entry level offerings are typically more than the other entry level packages mentioned.

Aftermarket support is also even more limited.

But going the other way, one could always go off the deep end and go whole hog to buy a TRG-22 with some high end S&B or nightforce optic and call it a day...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top