JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most of the case trimmers have a collet style case holder that holds the case. The case holders in the press would allow the case to spin, which would not be ideal. Dillon makes an electrically powered trimmer that trims the case while sizing in a special sizing die, but it is probably the most expensive option out there. I have an RCBS trimmer and it works fine. I don't know if the collets fit any other trimmer.

Have you looked at these yet?
<broken link removed>

Not sure when they'll be available, but for $20.00 (MSRP) they may provide a decent alternative at a low price point.
Another upside is the inner and outer chamfering is done at the same time.

Have you looked at these yet?
<broken link removed>

Not sure when they'll be available, but for $20.00 (MSRP) they may provide a decent alternative at a low price point.
Another upside is the inner and outer chamfering is done at the same time.

They are available been running one for a month now and makes quick work. I like mine but keep some spare orings.

Here is the pic of the cutter that chamfers, de-burrs, and cuts it down to length. I have adapted it to work with a drill and wow it's fast.

null_zps1f008dc2.jpg

I use the lyman. it has a universal chuck that will handle up to a 460 weatherby and comes with a standard pilot pack that is held on the trimmer. it wont take up as much room as the others due to needing parts for each caliber

What's wrong with the original Lee case trimmer? I use one with a Lee Universal 3-Jaw chuck in a Cordless Drill. I use for any hand trimmed .223 case but even if I wanted to use it for others the Pilot and case holder are inexpensive.

Really about the most inexpensive of all the trimmers out there that do a quality job

What's wrong with the original Lee case trimmer? I use one with a Lee Universal 3-Jaw chuck in a Cordless Drill. I use for any hand trimmed .223 case but even if I wanted to use it for others the Pilot and case holder are inexpensive.

Really about the most inexpensive of all the trimmers out there that do a quality job

It is inexpensive and fast, not really all that accurate, especially when you combine it with a drill. The biggest issue I've had with the lee case trimmers is you end up having to spend some serious time deburring later. I remember some time ago I had a whole bunch of .223 brass that got trimmed on a drill press with a lee trimmer, it raised a huge flat that needed to be cut off, after working on it for a while, I gave up and scrapped it all.

It is inexpensive and fast, not really all that accurate, especially when you combine it with a drill. The biggest issue I've had with the lee case trimmers is you end up having to spend some serious time deburring later. I remember some time ago I had a whole bunch of .223 brass that got trimmed on a drill press with a lee trimmer, it raised a huge flat that needed to be cut off, after working on it for a while, I gave up and scrapped it all.

Yes, that can happen. First, if you let the cutter get fouled and dull, second, don't turn the cutter or case fast enough.

I just trimmed a bunch of .223 for my bolt action using my 30 year old Lee trimmer and the case mouths only needed a "flick of the wrist" with the chamfer/deburring tool. Accuracy was +/-.001" for length. How much better than that do you need???

The "BEST" trimmer I own is an old RCBS lathe type with 3-way cutter head that I upgraded to a carbide cutter. Unlike all the "wonder trimmers" I can adjust the amount of chamfer and deburring to what I desire. I've got it attached to a "Lap Board" and trim .308 cases while watching TV with the wife. The carbide cutter is so darned sharp it takes only one or two turns of the handle to trim and at the same time the case is chamfered and de-burred. Mine is an old style collet type and the new "lathes" are even faster with their universal case holders. A nice middle of the road setup that can even be "powered" if you desire for very little cost.

30 years ago lee probably used a better quality of steel, as the market wasn't flooded with chinese imports, if you bought the cheap stuff it was probably japanese.

From what you're describing on the at RCBS trimmer, you should take a look at the Gracey trimmer, it's not the most fandangulous of trimmers, but for a powered trimmer it comes with a high speed steel edge cutter and chamfering cutter. It's still a $300 toy though... Which means it violates at least one requirement.

AMP, 30 years ago, the inexpensive steel (both stainless and black) was coming from China. It was crap, had bad carbon problems and would ruin your tooling in a hearbeat. I broke a lot of cutters on it.
If you wanted top shelf you bought Japanese steel - theirs was "the sh1t" back then.

30 years ago lee probably used a better quality of steel, as the market wasn't flooded with chinese imports, if you bought the cheap stuff it was probably japanese.

You need to read this statement from the Lee website:

We are thankful to say Lee Precision products are cast, machined and assembled in the USA.

Richard Lee is a good old "Made in USA" fan.

Most of their stuff is pretty darn good and durable. Plastic? OK, not so much but at least the plastic isn't used in an item that takes a lot of abuse or wear.

Lee products are inexpensive, they work well, and there warrantee is excellent, with there customer service also. I use them because they work. Sure there probably not the best on the market, but op stated that "good inexpensive case trimmer". Lee stuff is great for the money and it works.

x2 on the WFT, for I think $70, it saves having to tighten\losen the chuck on each piece of brass. I hated that about the lee trimmer but for the price the lee was good and got it done.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top