JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I admit I'm very new to the hobby and I've got the bug. I love milsurp bolt-actions. Trouble is I'm unsure of the best products and tools to keep both my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 and 8mm Yugo Mauser 24/47 in top form since I'm firing surplus com-bloc ammo. Living in a small apartment I don't have room for a shop full of stuff. So I put it out to the community for your suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,
1. Cleaning rod, Bore Cleaner & Bore oil. Patches rags.
But I do it differently I also use Simple Green Soap and Break Free Oil.
If you have some time come over and I can show you.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

I love Butch's Boreshine and Butch's Gun Oil. Best stuff I've found.

To initially get old milsurps clean, I use:

• Butch's Boreshine (let it soak, then wet/dry cycles, store with oil when you put it away at the end of a cleaning session). Nice thing is that you can let it soak as long as you like - won't harm steel. I often
  • An electronic bore cleaner (you can make one yourself or buy a commercial model). These really soften up tough, deep deposits. Don't overdue it because there is ammonia in the mix, but a few sessions should not harm.
  • I've also used JB's bore paste, in conjunction with a nylon brush.

In general, for normal fouling, wet/dry cycles with Butch's boreshine until patches are white, then soak a patch or two in Butch's gun oil and put it away. I always run a dry patch or two through the barrel before I shoot.

For deep fouling, Boreshine worked back and forth, intermixed with dry. Also might dip a nylon or brass brush in boreshine. Boreshine will eat at the brass on the brush so expect to see a little blue on your patch after that :) Ultimately, bore paste if needed, though not frequently. JB's is supposedly nonabrasive.

There's a great article on how to clean in the 49th Lyman reloading manual by the late Butch Fisher of Butch's.

I'll warn you that getting an old gun clean can be a looooong process. Guy I talked to behind the counter at Wholesale Sports had a WWI Enfield. He used Montana Extreme's solvent and went through 1,635 patches before they came through white. I think he could have saved himself some time if he'd scrubbed with a brush, used a little bore paste, and perhaps an EBC, but it was interesting that he thought he'd cleaned through nine separate layers of fouling. Gun shoots great at 200 yards now.

I have bought several milsurps in which the seller told me how he "religiously" cleaned it, kept it immaculate, etc. I get it home, dunk a patch with Boreshine, run it through..blue and black.

To keep 'em clean, I find Boreshine is sufficient, along with Gun Oil to store them between use. Don't freak out about "OMG I shot one round of corrosive and it's like pouring nitric acid down my barrel". Cleaning the corrosive salts off is not that hard - I sometimes take a bottle of Butch's to the range and run a few patches down after shooting. The ammonia in Butch's (and many other good solvents) is not household ammonia and will not craze steel.

Dennis Kroh uses diluted household ammonia for this purpose...I do what he does, but use Butch's instead...no need for steel-eating household ammonia:

EMPIRE ARMS: How to safely and quickly clean your firearm after using corrosive ammo

Sorry to come off as a Butch's fanboy...there are other quality solvents/oils out there. Just reporting on one I'm familiar with and really like.

Thank you all for your response. This is very helpful. Seems I've been doing things right with a cleaning kit for .30, Hoppes 9 solvent and oil. I've got plenty of patches, though they seem small, and I've cut up some old cotton t-shirts and wrapped them around the rod to act as a mop. raindog, thanks for the suggestion about the Butch's bore polish and the link. Heh, my bookmark section is loading up fast as I research this.

+1 to both netcarrier and raindog! This is far from netcarriers first time to offer his personal time to another member to help them out, those are good members to have around. kudos to you netcarrier.
raindogs link to the electric/solution mix bore cleaner is an excellent one, I built this several years ago and can attest that this system works very well and it will amaze you how much lead and copper fouling this system removes from a bore that one thought was good to go:s0155:.

+1 to both netcarrier and raindog! This is far from netcarriers first time to offer his personal time to another member to help them out, those are good members to have around. kudos to you netcarrier.
raindogs link to the electric/solution mix bore cleaner is an excellent one, I built this several years ago and can attest that this system works very well and it will amaze you how much lead and copper fouling this system removes from a bore that one thought was good to go:s0155:.

My only concern is the use of household ammonia. I think the next time I make a batch of liquid for it, I'm going to substitute Boreshine or something similar for the ammonia. Fortunately, you don't need much to fill a 30-cal barrel...even for a Mosin-Nagant :)

My only concern is the use of household ammonia. I think the next time I make a batch of liquid for it, I'm going to substitute Boreshine or something similar for the ammonia. Fortunately, you don't need much to fill a 30-cal barrel...even for a Mosin-Nagant :)

According to information I found on 7.62x54r.net Windex works well for this. Pour a bit down the barrel and spray the receiver and bolt face, then one has time to clean it at home. As I said, my BM section is filling up fast.

Netcarrier showed me the Simple Green cleaning technique. I used it for my furniture before, but now on everything.

Do you guys use bore oil on all of your guns, or just the older models? I have an Arsenal SLR-101S and a couple Glocks - would you use bore oil on those for typical use, or maybe just long term storage? I really haven't been using it, and haven't had problems, but really want my guns to last to their potential. Thanks!

Glock Jock, for long term storage I use petroleum jelly, an application inside and out will inhibit any rust and keep your bluing in excellent shape, it's a poor mans cosmoline and is easily removed with degreaser. This was shown to me by a collector of fine old arms that lived literally with the ocean as his back yard. It works better than anything else I've used, and at the price is hard to beat.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top