JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Due to financial constraints I'm looking to buy a manufacture/mobile home in the Portland area. I know some of the common thing to look for are roof, siding, water/electrical damage, sagging/unlevel areas. Does anyone have a "checklist" of things to look for or any unforeseen things that you experience? Also, what am I actually looking for? Knowing what you know now what would you have done differently before, during, or after purchasing the home? Are rumors/myths about trailer parks true, ie; unkept, dirty, "trailer trash", unsafe, etc.? The reason for this last question is that I have 4 very young kids (7 & under) and the last thing I want to do is put them into an unsafe environment. Just want to avoid adding another thing to my stress bucket. Thanks.

The only thing I've experienced is: Their exists some very nice trailer parks. I've seen them in South Texas and Florida.

Stereo typing is often true, but not always...

Re used homes;

There's a date where they didn't meet code with the wiring. Pre 1977? Can't remeber but you can research it.

Also, if mobile it has only a certain number of times it can have been moved before a bank won't lend for it. So, if you're buying one on its last move, you may have difficulty selling later on.

Talk to a realtor. They'll know more about this stuff I think.

Many parks are very nice. Others not. Many nice will have covenants to keep it nice - no crap homes, yard has to be kept up, etc...

I've seen at least one park that had a playground so families are not unheard of. While others can be 50+ aged to keep them quiet for the old folks...

Have to check them out to see what's good. Some parks actually have rental units within if you're looking that direction

Last Edited:
Not sure what you mean here? Elaborate please?

I was kinda joking. Mobile homes do indeed come with wheels on them initially.

To answer in a more serious note, older ones are complete garbage. Some of the newer ones are nice. If you are looking to buy, be prepared for a hassle to get a loan. Banks don't write mortgages the same way for them as an actual house.

I was kinda joking. Mobile homes do indeed come with wheels on them initially.

To answer in a more serious note, older ones are complete garbage. Some of the newer ones are nice. If you are looking to buy, be prepared for a hassle to get a loan. Banks don't write mortgages the same way for them as an actual house.

........I was scratching my head there for a minute......."wheels"........????

I only looked into it briefly but the VA will only loan if it's less than 10 years or something along those lines. When you say banks don't write the same as traditional homes I'm assuming once it's at underwriting?

........I was scratching my head there for a minute......."wheels"........????

I only looked into it briefly but the VA will only loan if it's less than 10 years or something along those lines. When you say banks don't write the same as traditional homes I'm assuming once it's at underwriting?

Yeah, it's the underwriting. More hoops to jump through and only certain banks have a program for manufactured/mobile homes.

Often, folks say "mobile" when what they are actually meaning is, "modular/pre-fab/Manufactured".

Which type is it?

Mobile..
1585688391851.png

Manufactured/modular/pre-fab
1585688555902.png

And...
- Often the nicer Mobile parks and Pre-fab communities are "55 only and kid restricted".
- some, you own the lot and some only rent the lot

If you find one you are interested in call Bryan Daum;
Allied Inspection Services | An Oregon Certified Master Inspector
If you think an inspection is expensive, think what it can cost to fix what you missed!! I've had him look at five houses for me and every one has been a learning experience and worth far more than it cost.
You might try a credit union for a loan. Expect the rates to be significantly higher than on a traditional house.
Parks vary from slums to good neighborhoods. A drive-through will usually tell you all you need to know.
Good luck!!

Looked into it before we bought out current home. The only brand I can recommend is Palm Harbour. You can go on a tour of the facility in Millersburg and watch them build from an observation room inside the factory. The only reason we changed plans was because of a building moratorium on the land we owned.

Agreed that it's best if you own the land. Lot rentals can and will increase and the lot can even be sold out from underneath you. One large community on the outskirts of Wilsonville did this a few years back leaving a lot of retired people scrambling to find a new location and at their own expense to move.

Often, folks say "mobile" when what they are actually meaning is, "modular/pre-fab/Manufactured".

Which type is it?

Mobile..
View attachment 677606

Manufactured/modular/pre-fab
View attachment 677608

And...
- Often the nicer Mobile parks and Pre-fab communities are "55 only and kid restricted".
- some, you own the lot and some only rent the lot

I was thinking mobile.........but that bottom one could actually pass for a stick built home. On the outside that's actually quite nice!

If you find one you are interested in call Bryan Daum;
Allied Inspection Services | An Oregon Certified Master Inspector
If you think an inspection is expensive, think what it can cost to fix what you missed!! I've had him look at five houses for me and every one has been a learning experience and worth far more than it cost.
You might try a credit union for a loan. Expect the rates to be significantly higher than on a traditional house.
Parks vary from slums to good neighborhoods. A drive-through will usually tell you all you need to know.
Good luck!!
I'll keep him in mind, thanks!

There are some really, really nice/high quality, large, with slide outs in used travel trailers for a whole lot less cost than mfg. homes and are very comfortable and portable.

Cost less in insurance too.

Often, people buy these trailers new and use them once in awhile, finally realize they don't use them often enough and sell them for far less than the cost than they paid.

Just an idea...

2020 Palm Harbor Bellingham model. 2100 sf. Double wide unit. $ 143,000
Block skirting - $ 6500. Foundation stringers site work and concrete $ 12,000. ATT Septic system - $ 23,000 - Gutters - $ 1,440. All county permits were $ 7,000. Electrical and water varies, ours was expensive coming up the hill 450 feet. We did a lot of the work ourselves, building the decks and all and most of the excavation work.

The home is tight, well insulated and energy efficient. We had the standard electric furnace in it, and will put a heat pump in it soon. Probably another $ 4,000 but the wife wants her AC in the summer.

We owned the property already. Palm Harbor is a pretty well built home, but the dealer is a real piece of crap. Homes Direct out of Redmond. They required us to pay half at the time of order and half when the home was completed at the factory. The home got here, had a damaged cabinet and a couple of other minor issues. Took them 3 weeks to get it set up for us to get utilities.

They were supposed to have cleaners clean it, they came and sweep the floor. The carpet layers took 4 days to lay the carpet. Trim workers did a bubblegum*y job. Crown moulding unfinished. We would call and they would take days to get back to us, cancel appointments, not show up Tired of dealing with these azz clowns, so I am taking it up with their corporate office and offer them a chance to compensate us for having the stuff fixed as I do not want their scum bag tweaker "contractors" in my house. If they give me one bit of sh*t I will file a CCB complaint.

I should have balked and raised more of a fuss about full payment, since we did not hold anything back by their contracts, and I see why they do that so they can screw you on the quality control issues. I would have held $ 5,000 back on final payment at least to make sure they actually fixed the things. Maybe other dealers are different, but these seem like they are one step above gypsy flakes really.

Ordered on the 17th of August, arrived on site on October 31, we moved in December 20.

Cinder House.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads