JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You mean what time do the welfare recipients show up with their wives/girlfriends and moms so they can buy a crapload of ammo on the taxpayers dime then turn around and sell it to the people paying for them to have the time to stand in line.
I get so irritated seeing the same dozen or so people there buying up everything just to sell it. I have tried emailing the store manager to get him to put the ammo out randomly but I don't know if one person suggesting it will be enough.
To answer your question. you can be there when they open but a lot of times the truck won't be there or unloaded until 11 or 12 so you have to expect a 2-3 hour wait.

You mean what time do the welfare recipients show up with their wives/girlfriends and moms so they can buy a crapload of ammo on the taxpayers dime then turn around and sell it to the people paying for them to have the time to stand in line.
I get so irritated seeing the same dozen or so people there buying up everything just to sell it. I have tried emailing the store manager to get him to put the ammo out randomly but I don't know if one person suggesting it will be enough.
To answer your question. you can be there when they open but a lot of times the truck won't be there or unloaded until 11 or 12 so you have to expect a 2-3 hour wait.

You know...the last time I was there...just happened to be on a Wednesday I was there...and noticed LOTS of women buying copious amounts of ammo.....and most looked like they should be buying other necessities instead of ammo....interesting...

Honestly the last 2 times I went to sportsmans I haven't found 1 thing I needed. No ammo, no bipods, not one thing I needed. I seriously am debating not shopping there anymore. I'll buy my stuff here or somewhere else. I think I might boycott them, there's a reason they went bankrupt. And if there are really lines in the morning and it's the same people buying it all that's bull****.

Wow! I think it got better when Sportsmans took over again. I go in later in the day. I've bought 7.62x39, 38spl., 44 spl. & 40. Didn't stand in any lines. The 7.62x39 was Tula at $5.99 a box. Only Walmart & Bimart beat that price & they never have any when I'm there.

Overall I think ammo is starting to come back. I got 3 boxes of 9mm Friday at Fishermans & 2 more boxes today at NWA. Kind of spendy ($16 -17/box), but I won't be feeling so guilty about shooting what I have.

I was in OC Bimart Thursday or Friday & they had 40 & 45 acp 100 round boxes for good prices. I was in there again today & either they got more or they still had some.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't know, don't go there. The few times I went (not on ammo unloading day) they didn't really have much that interested me.
I have been having good luck finding ammo at BiMart. Today I found .22lr 525 rounds for $18.97 and .223 for $8.97.

This is the Sportman's on SE 82nd you guys are talkiing about?

Geez.

I thought NW Armory on a Saturday was bad. People all the way down the stairs into the parking lot in hopes of getting 115g 9mm at $15/box, limit 3.

So glad I thought ahead when it comes to this stuff.

If you got stuck behind on all of this, think like a stock broker - don't chase it. But things that others are running AWAY from.

This is the Sportman's on SE 82nd you guys are talkiing about?

Geez.

I thought NW Armory on a Saturday was bad. People all the way down the stairs into the parking lot in hopes of getting 115g 9mm at $15/box, limit 3.

So glad I thought ahead when it comes to this stuff.

If you got stuck behind on all of this, think like a stock broker - don't chase it. But things that others are running AWAY from.

I hear ya... I had trouble getting my Liberty Fatboy32 closed last night for all the "stuff" I have tightly packed in there. The neat thing is, I could TRIPLE my "investment" if I were inclined to sell it and buy another Mercedes (or two), but I'm not the type of capitalists that would sell you the rope you want to hang me with.

The three times that I've sold a gun, I've regretted it to this very day (20 years later), except for a Mini-14, and swore "never again" after the '08 elections ammo shortage... I tend to follow through with things, and let's just say I've have had no "stress" this election cycle.

;)

Ammo is getting easier to find - though slightly. Seems most of it is being hoarded after flipper sells it to them. At some point the market will saturate and supply will return to normal. The hoarding is actually a good thing in the long run - it will make it that much harder for the gun grabbers. All the people new to firearm ownership is a good thing, too, for the same reason. We NEED to outreach to them to make sure they know how to safely participate and avoid bad publicity.

BiMart's new policy has made a big difference for me. I have a reasonable amount stashed, but won't shoot any unless I can replace it. Yesterday I was able to get 525 22LR's and today 100 rounds of PMC Bronze FMJ. It means that this weekend I can finally take my wife out to teach her how to shoot. BiMart now gets first shot at many things I used to buy elsewhere.

Sportsmans in Orchards/Vancouver doesn't appear to have this problem.

My shift usually starts around 8:00am, and I drop by kids off at school at 6:30am, so it was convenient for me to stand in line at 6:45 (At that time I was the 5th person in line) and Sportsman's opens at 9:00am.

Btw, the folks I saw at the store at this early hour were consumers mostly, not resellers. (Although one guy said he wanted to buy 2 bricks of 22lr and sell 1 box for $35 to cover the cost of both, then shoot the other, it feeds his shooting habit, and since he was standing there for 3 hours in the cold and dark I don't begrudge him that. No welfare moms or jobless folks, just regular shooters. At least that was the first 10-15... the next 150 that showed up around 7:30-8:00 might have been)

It went like this:
@6:45am I arrive to see 5 people standing outside store, talking about guns and ammo and one guy just bought his first rifle, 22 and really wants to shoot it.
@7:00am line grows to around 30 people
@7:30am workers appear and enter steel door on side of building
@8:00am manager puts some printouts on the glass door showing what they received the night before, and passes a few of the printouts to the crowd to look over. (They always have their shipment wednesday evening, and unpack it on Thursday morning, always according to a worker friend.)
@8:30am manager sends out addendum to the original printout. (Status went from "We didn't get any 22LR" to "We have 30 small boxes of 50ct 22LR match")
@9:00am manager opens the door and directs the line to reform inside the store at the customer service counter up front. Ammo shelves at customer service counter are amazingly stocked with more popular calibers in quantities ranging from a dozen boxes to a hundred boxes.
@9:20am Jack walks out with a 30 cal. ammo can of 440ct. 5.56 federal xm193, 3 boxes of Tulammo 7.62x39, 3 50ct. boxes of 22lr, and some small rifle primers. All at reasonable slightly above 11-01-2012 prices.

That was my only time actually enduring the long wait, and the 5 people in front of me bought what looked like just enough to plink with, and not really to sell.

I have been there during the afternoon a few times since then and bought some 5.56 once, some .38sp +P once and saw plenty of misc ammo still available.

Their rule (To protect consumers and let more people get ammo) was a limit of 3 boxes per SKU. That meant you could buy 3 boxes of remington 5.56, then turn around and buy 3 boxes of federal 5.56.

Their NEW rule is a limit of 3 boxes per caliber. This should allow even MORE ammo to be available to the rest of us.

Going in on your lunch break on Thursday should allow you a good chance at buying some plinking (Or defense) ammo for your guns with relative success.

Last Edited:
Scored 3 more boxes of 9mm this morning at Fishermans! Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ for $12.99. That's the cheapest 9mm I've seen in months. So that's 400 rounds since Friday, I going shooting this week! Well I was anyway.:D But now I'll take a couple of 9s rather than just 1.

A co-working is going with me Wed. or Thur. afternoon. Plan to let him shoot my AK pistol. Told him when I was looking for one I wanted it cause they're really loud. Pretty sure he forgot (hoping anyway) and he'll get a wake up in the middle of the afternoon. He also wants to shoot my CZ coach gun. Taking a few different shells including some 3" turkey loads. :D:D Told him how it shoved me around & he wants to try it. Taking the Glock 32, .357 SIG is a fun caliber IMO.

Sorry, off topic. All this ammo talk has me ready for a good day of shooting.

Good hoarding stories, not sure why ammo is so hard to come by. It took me a couple of months to get two boxes of ammo for a brand new 10mm.

If you need to stash more than a couple hundred rounds for when the SHTF, kiss your posterior goodbye.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top