Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

what steel for a target to be shot at 100 yds +,with '06 and .223 ?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

I know steel has a numbering system,and that some steels will take hits from hunting rifles and not get 'drilled'.
    can u folks enlighten me as to what I"d be looking for ,number/grade/thickness wise?
    thanks !

2. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

I would like to know the answer to this as well as I would like to make up some targets too.

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

4. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

5. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

6. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

And to directly answer the question, you want AR500 steel targets, like the ones from Steel Horse Customs.

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

thanks !

8. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

.223 can do damage to AR500 that close, speed kills. I have dimples in mine from varmint bullets of all things,,,

9. Vantage

Vantage Pacific Standard Time Active Member

For a .06 and .223 your fine. I have an 8" AR500 that I bought from steel horse and it works fine for those calibers at 100 yards.

My buddy shot it with his 22-250 and nearly punched all the way through it though.

Just FYI.

10. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I have some of Steelhorse's AR-500 steel targets. Love 'em. Worth every penny. However, as others have said 100 yds is a little close to shoot them with rifles.

A cheaper way to go would be stop by an auto wrecking yard, or even a scrap metal yard and get some old heads, some brake rotors or even steel wheels and hang them from a tree or something then shoot them. If they break, or get rittled with holes who cares? Just don't leave them out in the woods when you are done. Bring them back home with you.

kumabear17 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

If you can get an old railroad tie plate those can take some shots.

12. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Yep.

2012-09-27_12-57-13_817.jpg

All the splatter you see is from .223 FMJ, the hole is from .22-250 shooting Winchester soft point varmint rounds, all were 55gr. Distance was 100 yards.

13. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

have to use a special steel available from the vatican, blessed by the new pope

14. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Newberg Oregon Member

The thing that kills AR500 is velocity. Anything over 3500 fps is going to start dinging up your plates. It's not the weight. My .50 hitting a hanging plate doesn't even really ding them, but it does dent them.

15. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I do not recommend this when only going out to 100 yards. Ricochets will reach you. It won't likely be at a high enough velocity to do any major damage but I prefer no damage in the context of bullets and my body.