JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given an old Mossberg .22 bolt action rifle from my Uncle. (cant remember the model number at the moment) It is pretty old but I would expect it to still have a serial number somewhere on the rifle. I've looked all over the bolt, the barrel and everywhere else. The rifle was put into a hand carved stock by an unknown past owner.

So my question is if this rifle does not have a serial number: is this legal? should I have it registered somehow?

Thanks

Firearms manufactured before the Gun Control Act weren't required to have serial numbers (although most did anyhow).

If it was manufactured before the date of the GCA, then its perfectly legal.

I have a Winchester Model 121 single shot .22LR and it has NO SERIAL NUMBER on it any where. I've owned maybe 5-6 other single shot .22's that did not have a Serial Number. It was a cost saving thing back in the day prior to 1968.

As others have said, old firearms didn't always have serial numbers.

Television has ruined a lot of people. Currently, there are actually very FEW states that require firearms be "registered" and Washington is NOT one of those, and I don't believe Oregon is either.

We are also allowed to make one (Maybe more, it's unclear) firearm for our own use and it requires no serial number. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe that as long as it's only for our own use and not sold or even given away this is legal. This may be one of those things that gets people in trouble though since most police don't know about such fine distinctions.
The reason I'm sure this is true is because of the 80% kits, there are several places selling 1911 frames and AR frames that are 80% or less finished and finishing them yourself puts you in this shadow loophole. Anyway, if it doesn't have a serial number I don't see how anyone could know your son didn't make it if you passed it on. But that would e illegal of course.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top