Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What should I do when I cant find a serial number?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by WIRED tactical, Feb 18, 2011.

1. WIRED tactical

WIRED tactical Snohomish County, WA Member

I was given an old Mossberg .22 bolt action rifle from my Uncle. (cant remember the model number at the moment) It is pretty old but I would expect it to still have a serial number somewhere on the rifle. I've looked all over the bolt, the barrel and everywhere else. The rifle was put into a hand carved stock by an unknown past owner.

So my question is if this rifle does not have a serial number: is this legal? should I have it registered somehow?

Thanks

2. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

No registration is required. Do what you want (restore further, save for your collection, shoot, sell, whatever....)

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Firearms manufactured before the Gun Control Act weren't required to have serial numbers (although most did anyhow).

If it was manufactured before the date of the GCA, then its perfectly legal.

4. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

hate to see you worry. give it to me. Problem solved.....

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

It's great to see members helping members with no thought of their own well being.......

6. WIRED tactical

Haha thanks guys. And no I. Wasn't too worried about it. And no I will be keeping it. Its a nail driver.

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no, no!

Use the right tool for the job..you're supposed to use a hammer for that!

8. python287

python287 Neskowin,OR Active Member

Some firearms did not have serial numbers - if it is not filed off - then it is perfectly legal. And there is no reason to have it registered..

9. My wife's uncle has an old shotgun. He couldn't find a serial number until he took off the stock. You might try to disassemble it.

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a Winchester Model 121 single shot .22LR and it has NO SERIAL NUMBER on it any where. I've owned maybe 5-6 other single shot .22's that did not have a Serial Number. It was a cost saving thing back in the day prior to 1968.

11. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

As others have said, old firearms didn't always have serial numbers.

Television has ruined a lot of people. Currently, there are actually very FEW states that require firearms be "registered" and Washington is NOT one of those, and I don't believe Oregon is either.

12. WIRED tactical

Ya, I meant to say: have a serial number put on it. But since I dont have to then why would I?

Technically though, aren't you registering a firearm to your name when you purchase one?

13. Having a gun registered and having a record of a gun purchase are small but important distinctions when it comes to guns.

14. Partsproduction

Partsproduction Tillamook Oregon Active Member

We are also allowed to make one (Maybe more, it's unclear) firearm for our own use and it requires no serial number. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe that as long as it's only for our own use and not sold or even given away this is legal. This may be one of those things that gets people in trouble though since most police don't know about such fine distinctions.
    The reason I'm sure this is true is because of the 80% kits, there are several places selling 1911 frames and AR frames that are 80% or less finished and finishing them yourself puts you in this shadow loophole. Anyway, if it doesn't have a serial number I don't see how anyone could know your son didn't make it if you passed it on. But that would e illegal of course.