JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to figure out which way to go optic wise for my first AR build. I know the 1-6 is popular but did anyone end up with something different that they ended up loving. As far as price I am thinking around 500 dollars, but more curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Anyone have any experience with Primary Arms slx 1-6x sfp with ACSS? I really like the reticle on it but haven't heard definitive from anyone if it's crap or not.

I run an Aimpoint PRO and love it. I've used several other sights and this one fits my needs. Rugged, quick target acquisition, clear glass. Will I be driving tacks out past 300 yards? No.... but then again I live in Western Oregon so most shots won't require long range or magnification.

Good luck deciding what is best for you.

It's funny, I remember being into LPVO 'before they were cool' and red dots were all the rage.

First decide your purpose for the rifle and that will decide your sights. If you want it to be a 'do all' rifle, the LPVO is the way to go, period. If you want it to be the high speed CQB rifle, the red dot has an edge because of the unlimited eye relief, as long as you don't mind needing batteries.

If you want more effective sighting at range, a 4x14 or 3x18 scope would be a game changer.

If it truly is a "SHTF" rifle, then no batteries would be a must. Some companies offer 1x prism scopes, or any other magnified option.

Edit: I LOVE the primary arms 1x6 or 1x8 acss in SFP - downside is it's made in China - but from a "minuteman" perspective - that type of design is IMO the best style of optic that American rifleman should have. The only thing those need is a bigger throw lever - MK machining makes good ones that are inexpensive.

Just depends on what you want your rifle to be advantaged toward.

Last Edited:
If your looking at ACSS. Look at the GLX 2x prism. Great little optic.

I disagree, an etched reticle makes up for loss of illumination, the key is pick one that works well on or off.

What exactly are we disagreeing on? I said that not needing batteries would be important. Etched reticles are awesome, assuming they work well without illumination of course, but as a rule of thumb, you would want to rely on as little batteries as possible for any type of prolonged problem, right?

What exactly are we disagreeing on? I said that not needing batteries would be important. Etched reticles are awesome, assuming they work well without illumination of course, but as a rule of thumb, you would want to rely on as little batteries as possible for any type of prolonged problem, right?

I inferred you were saying not to consider scopes that took batteries, if that is not the case...disregard.

For my HD AR, I put a Burris MTac 1-4X24 w/illuminated reticle.

thumbnail_IMG_0453.jpg

Are you set on a LPVO?

Why not a red dot?

Not entirely set but I have zero time shooting at 1x unless it's iron sights lol

Just curious about other options and absorbing knowledge from local people on the internet than regular internet folk.

My only other scopes I've owned are a Simmons rimfire and 2 crossfire ii's.

I do like the idea of something I can use within 100 yards but if needed could stretch out a bit farther

I do like the idea of something I can use within 100 yards but if needed could stretch out a bit farther
What about something like a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC?
Variable power, BDC for different ranges, no illumination, and waaay under your $500 budget.. you could get rings and an RMR (mounted at 45°) and still not bust your upper limit... much.

I also like Vortex's red/green dots. The Spitfire series has 3x, Strikefires are unmagnified. Again, well under $500.

All are less expensive options but not necessarily "cheap".

Had Aimpoints. Bought a BNIB Eotech 512 at pawn shop for 280 and sold all my aimpoints for Eotechs. Bigger window, easier on my SLIGHT astigmatism. Battery life isn't as good, but an extra CR123 is easy to have on board. Hella durable too. Loved my Trijicon MRO though, Huge window, sharp dot. Had a Vortex LPVO, didn't like the reticle. Got a Steiner LPVO thinking it would be better, I wasn't into it. From the buzzer, I was just as fast, but getting a PERFECT shoulder+cheek weld to get in that eye box was annoying. Can't always shoot from comfortable, repeatable positions. For under $500, you could get a Aimpoint comp M5, a H1 with mount, an Eotech 512/553/552/(e)XPS 2-0. Steiner and Vortex warranties are incredibly lenient. I bought my Steiner second hand, the reticle started to drift and they paid shipping both ways and repaired it no questions asked.

I love my eotech exps and g33 magnifiers so will have to say that would be my go to. The switch to side magnifier is great for cqb and sub 50 yard shots and having the magnifier available with the flick of a wrist for longer shots is so nice!

If you're talking out to 500 yards or more disregard my personal choice because some can do it with ease but most can't go beyond that on smaller targets. Personally with this set up I rarely shoot beyond 300 yards unless the targets are larger.

I run eotech on all my ARs some with and some without magnifier.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top