JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Holosun on all mine, switched over from Aimpoint, as these are more to my liking. compact, EOtech type reticle for quick aquisition, and solar powered, with a battery backup with something like 50000 hours run time. Plus it turns itself off when I forget, and turns on as soon as I touch it.

Not entirely set but I have zero time shooting at 1x unless it's iron sights lol

Just curious about other options and absorbing knowledge from local people on the internet than regular internet folk.

My only other scopes I've owned are a Simmons rimfire and 2 crossfire ii's.

I do like the idea of something I can use within 100 yards but if needed could stretch out a bit farther
100 is not very far. 223/555 doesn't drop out of the sky at that distance either. If you know your hold overs. Irons or a red dot are great options.

LPVOs are good too in their own regards. Just bigger and heavier. I've got one on a 16" barreled AR and really like it. It's a 1-4. I call it my poor man's Acog. It's basically an oversized red dot (illuminated reticle) at 1x and an oversized Acog at 4x.

The PA GLX 2x prism is on another and it is essentially a 2x Acog minus the price and durability and etc. The field of view is better than a 3x Acog though. The day brightness also beats the Acog in my opinion. Eye relief isn't any better than the Acog.

I run a SBR with plain old iron sights. I can make man size hits at distance just fine. Tritium inserts help for night use too.

Then about 3-4 with red dots. These are the fastest and easiest to use.

I just picked up a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 and my initial impression is that it's very good. Excellent light transmission, forgiving eye box, and good eye relief. I wish the reticle would do green as well or instead of red, but so far that's my only gripe. More field time is required to make a more in depth analysis.

I've come to dislike variable optics. I find that I really don't use it very often, even the 3-9 on my hunting rifles get pretty much left at 6x.

I just put a Sig Bravo3 fixed prism optic on my AR 10. I don't have much time behind it yet, but I already know it's going to be nicer to use than the Vortex 1-6 I had on it before that typically got left at 3x.

Just sold off my MRO because of my asthigmatism issues and also the battery life is not what it is hyped up to be. Would only last about 30 days on a useable setting. I ended up with a Primary Arms 1x SLX prism optic with the ACSS reticle and it is awesome on my 10.5 pistol.

I run a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x on my AR10 to great effect. Lightweight, rugged, simple and excellent glass.

Thank you guys for the replies and giving me some more options to investigate

How far out are you shooting?
Rifle or Pistol configuration?
Barrel length?

Different set ups for different things.
AR #1: Eotech 512 w/ 3x magnifier
AR #2: 4x ACOG & Docter red dot piggybacked.
AR #3: 1.5 - 5x LPVO

I have an Eotech 512 and Holosun magnifier on one, that would run about $500, Its a little nicer for 0-100 yard stuff, but can reach out comfortably to 300-400 if the targets are torso sized.

also have a primary arms 1-8x with the ACSS reticle. The eye box is tight on 8x, 6x is better, but the reticle is great. Just hit a gopher sized steel target at 450 yards last weekend with 55gr fmj using the holdover marks.

The Burris RT6 is apparently a great 1-6x LPVO, and I'm very curious about replacing the Primary arms 1-8x with it. Supposed to have better glass than the equivalent PA or Vortex offerings.

the rest of mine have higher powered stuff.

I just picked up this Leupold VX-Freedom AR 1.5-4X20 w/Aero mount for under $200 to go on a current build once it is finished.

thumbnail_IMG_0219.jpg

My preference is an LPVO. Pick the reticle, magnification range, price point and go from there. I prefer Leupold on the low end, Nightforce on the high end. Heard great things about the Kahles and need to give one a try. I personally am not a Vortex fan but they make some good choices in your budget range. With their warranty I would look at trying to pick up a used Gen II LPVO Vortex Razor 1 - 6. I have seen some on the used market close to your price range. They are a heavy optic though.

Are you looking for 1st or 2nd focal plane?

Depends what you want to do. Vortex Spitfire 3x prism on my 16" AR works great for quick target acquisitions. Vortex 4-12 Diamondback on 20" upper for more precise target work but if I was doing it again I would get the Leupold VX Freedom 4-12. I have one on my bolt action and is light but solid with bright and clear image.

ACOG
Tritium and fiber optics keep the reticle visible in all light conditions. The glass in ACOGs is excellent as well

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews