Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What makes ammo, Match Grade?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by redhippie, May 3, 2013.

1. redhippie

redhippie People's republic of PDX Active Member

Just like the title says.

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

It generally means having a higher standard of consistency, lower shot-to-shot variation, and better accuracy than regular ammo.

3. Shooter98

Shooter98 McMinnville, Or. Member

What Drew said. It's pretty much about EVERYTHING being the exact weight, length, height, power etc.. as the other.

4. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

My dies are set to individual weapons by weight of bullet and type used, they don't get changed, if it works don't fix it. All powder charges for me, (I'm anal as hell about this) are + or - a single granule of powder when I'm taking about my measure on pet loads. ALL bullets (individual units) and cartridges (By manufacturer, they do differ in case wall thickness and displacement) are cleaned, weighed and segregated. All cartridges are trimmed to a particular die and unit. Primer pockets cleaned and set, primer seating is way important. That, in my opinion is what I consider matched. Ya gotta love doing it though, and just be nuts about accuracy:paranoid:

5. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

Unless you are reloading your own match grade ammo for your gun; factory match grade ammo will perform differently from gun to gun. Factory match grade ammo will also perform differently from brand to brand.

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Oh, and it is usually much more expensive. The big benefit is it should shoot the same out of the same rifle every time you pull the trigger.