JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The antidote to "Glock Leg". « The Snowball in Hell

Ive heard of this syndrome known as "glock leg" I am not entirely familiar with it, other than I think it has to do with your glock accidentally discharging a round into your leg while having it holstered.

I like the FiveseveN but I think a CCW would be much more useful than a full-sized handgun like the FiveseveN.

If I had the money to buy a new firearm, I was looking into a glock 30, but now the Springfield XD (the .45 ACP version) has peaked my interest, since from what I understand the springfield has an extra safety feature on it that the glock does not.

Does anyone who owns both guns know which one is both easily concealed, has decent magazine capacity (10+) and you also don't have to worry about a chambered round going off? Maybe I would get the glock 30, but just chamber a round when the SHTF.

If any of you who conceal carry everyday could give some input, Id love to hear it.

It usually happens when you use a holster that has a latch on the trigger guard when you press the button and draw in a hurry you might slap the trigger. Happens on other light triggered guns with light or short triggers but glocks happen to be very common in those kind of OWB duty type holsters.

Well when SHTF I think the first priority is getting into cover rather than getting a good shot off, so you, yourself, are not shot in the initial exchange. I would think that while in cover you would have enough time to chamber a round.

Maybe Im just paranoid about the lack of an external safety on a glock 30 and a .45 ACP round going off into my leg though. If it cuts off that main artery in your leg, you are as good as dead.

Jimmy, I carry a G30 through the colder winter months. Layered clothing hides it pretty well.

It prints more than most of my other guns. Yes, it's a subcompact, but it's also fat.

Now, why do I carry it?

At the range, it's never malfunctioned. We all need a firearm that does what it supposed to do in pinch.

How do I carry it? One in the chamber...always!

Am I worried about it discharging accidentally?

See video for answer! GLOCK vs XD - YouTube

Be well,
Will

Glock 26 carry every day, Never have a problem. The trigger won't engage unless you put even pressure on the center of it. The Glock safety trigger. I got my 26 for 400 with 3 mags, like new. I have never used an XD before but they seem to be well priced and I've considered picking up a .40. Although I would still carry my G26.

Both very safe and great guns (own both), personally I have found the G26 a better carry due to it's size. As for the round in it's up to you, just remember if SHTF it's less item you need to think about, and those seconds could mean life or death.

GAWD for the umpteenth time,glocks only go off when the trigger is pulled.

The gun you should carry is the one that you shoot best,then decide how to carry so you are comfortable with it.Either gun is a great gun.
I don't worry about printing much as WA is a open carry state,so nothing saying it must be completely concealed.

Go watch the You Tube videos about Israeli carry and see if that's an option for you.Looks like a bad deal to me,trying to rack the slide in a self defense situation?
They say it was for the untrained,but I think it would take a lot of practice to get it down

I think glock gets a bad rap here because it's a popular recommendation for new shooters, no real safety, and the market is flooded with them. The problem is usually going to be either a push button retention device near the trigger, or a finger on the trigger when trying to reholster. If you are not comfortable enough to carry it with a round chambered, get something you will.

To be fair though it's not just a glock problem, a lot of guns can be fired like this.

Well when SHTF I think the first priority is getting into cover rather than getting a good shot off, so you, yourself, are not shot in the initial exchange. I would think that while in cover you would have enough time to chamber a round.

Of course when possible your option is best however what about when there is no cover? We could makeup many scenarios each requiring different reaction, the ones that need a chambered round I want to be prepared for.

As stated before people who are afraid of carrying a chambered gun probably shouldn't be carrying.

I cannot believe people out there still believe that guns just go off on their own. It may be cliche to say but there is no
"accidental" discharge like a virgin on prom night.

I think glock gets a bad rap here because it's a popular recommendation for new shooters, no real safety, and the market is flooded with them. The problem is usually going to be either a push button retention device near the trigger, or a finger on the trigger when trying to reholster. If you are not comfortable enough to carry it with a round chambered, get something you will.

To be fair though it's not just a glock problem, a lot of guns can be fired like this.

You mean like every double action revolver?

I say they are both great choices, Glock 30 or the XD, both are fantastic pistols. My EDC is a M&P 45c. I can't say enough good things about it. All the M&P compacts are a real pleasure to shoot and carry. Ive seen a number of people carry the G30 and eventually switch to something a bit slimmer.

No one here mentions that a pistol w/o a safety CAN discharge when inserted into a holster, IF there is an obstruction/pc of leather that rubs the trigger=Glock leg. Yes, quite rare, but STUFF happens.
The XD pistols have an unobtrusive safety that requires a firm grip to discharge, pretty simple. I own both, prefer the XD with me all the time.

No one here mentions that a pistol w/o a safety CAN discharge when inserted into a holster, IF there is an obstruction/pc of leather that rubs the trigger=Glock leg. Yes, quite rare, but STUFF happens.
The XD pistols have an unobtrusive safety that requires a firm grip to discharge, pretty simple. I own both, prefer the XD with me all the time.

Classic right there.

Maybe you shouldn't carry a gun if you can't even holster the thing without having a negligent discharge?
Just sayin'

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads