JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW, I've had the Caldwell bag for going on 10 years now and its doing fine. Filled it with rice.

I wonder if short grain, or long grain would work better? One or the other better to help keep from splitting seams? Rice may work better, weight wise, than walnut shell.

For filler, the craft stores have plastic beads. No worries if it got damp.

That's something I hadn't though of, thanks. I'm not likely to use it where it would get that wet, but you never know. My concern is getting enough weight so it sits good, but not so much (sand) that it may cause splitting seams.

Bipod mostly. Maybe a rear bag. Usually just the bipod lately. QD bipod is my friend. I swap it from gun to gun. Just need a little piece of pic rail on your guns.

Bipod mostly. Maybe a rear bag. Usually just the bipod lately. QD bipod is my friend. I swap it from gun to gun. Just need a little piece of pic rail on your guns.

Not sure I want to ad a piece of rail to this. Or the two 100 YO rifles? ;)

I've used a lot of different kinds of rests over the years. I'm not a serious benchrest shooter or competitor, but on occasion I do enjoy trying to shoot tiny little groups at distance. I've used shot bags filled with sand, rice, beans, and had a couple of the Caldwell bags filled with the ground corncob, and then sand, and various other things like bipods and such.

I always come back to sand. For me, nothing works like a bag full of sand. Anything lighter just isn't as stable. My Caldwell bag split a seam, but it wasn't because of the sand, it was because of the cylinder gap blast from a .44 magnum revolver.

My wife sewed up a bunch of bags out of some tough material she found, a little stronger than shot bag cloth. They work really well. They eventually wear out and leak, and I replace them, but they are cheap and simple.

I left a couple on the shelf at the rifle range once, thinking people would use them and put them back on the shelf for the next guy to use. That was naive...

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top