JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gotta get me a shooting bag or two. I'm looking at this set. Amazon.com : Caldwell DeadShot Shooting Bag Combo : Hunting Duffle Bags : Gateway
I don't need anything too fancy. I can fill it myself with walnut media. I'm not sure I'd even use the second, rear bag, but it wouldn't hurt to have it. Any problems on these from reviewers seem to be from splitting. I would think that comes from using sand which is heavier than rice or walnut media.

I have the bags in your link they just haven't got to the range yet. They seem prety good quality. I have a light bench rest that I usually take. I have some socks filled with navy beans that I use once in a while and then when I forget em its carpeted wood pieces already at the range.:D

An old range I used to go to had nothing but lead shot in bags. They're awesome, especially when you put one between your shoulder and the gun when shooting slugs from the bench.

I had those and the seams started to split. Did a repair job, and another seam split. I think I gave them away or sold them really cheap.

All I use now are Protektor or similar brand leather bags. If you can find one that meets your needs I highly suggest spending the extra money. Well worth it.

I was thinking about one of these

D3D7C7E4-4987-4084-94F1-CFD0A4AEC3A3.jpeg

I use this. It is designed to be filled with lead shot for weight and stability. I put the lead shot in plastic ziplock bags for neatness.

EDIT: if it matters,
MTM = Made in USA
Caldwell = Made in China

Last Edited:
Thanks guys...I just ordered the Caldwell set, and saved $6.00 ordering them empty. Those Protektor's are really nice but I don't care to spend that much. I was hoping, maybe, there was something out there that I was missing. Most of the bags shown have the same, few, negative reviews..."Seams split". I'm thinking that might be because they fill them with sand which is really heavy. I've got a bunch of wall nut tumbling media so I'll try that. Unless there's any other suggestion that has worked well for others? Rice? A combination?

I use this. It is designed to be filled with lead shot for weight and stability. I put the lead shot in plastic ziplock bags for neatness.

I have the Caldwell version of that. I don't use the rear rest though. It seems like it would make it more difficult. Now that Wifey has her own AR we need two rests. We'll play with the new bags and see which one she prefers. Or we'll switch back and fourth. I kind of like the bag when I've used someone elses.

I just use a Nylon/leather rifle rest made by caldwell that is full of these tiny little BBs. I also use a butt bag to support the rear of the stock. I try to have the entire gun supported by something other than me, while still allowing it to recoil freely.

BB's? You mean like BB gun BB's? Seems expensive if it's BB gun ammo. Real heavy too which I think may lead to premature seam splitting.

They are plastic. My dipschit friend shot my first one on accident with his SBR. What came out was almost like the stuff you bead blast with.

Heh heh....Johnson Creek GC...they make the rest bags out of burlap. Burlap isn't know for it's tight weave. They use pinto beans. You'd think that when they have so many of them hit with muzzle blast and leaking beans that shooter would learn to keep te barrel past the bag edge.

I have reloaded Shotgun Shells in the past for the Juniors Program that I ran for several years. My Bride turned several into fine Sandbags. I now keep a few in different places because they are VERY handy for several purposes.

I have reloaded Shotgun Shells in the past for the Juniors Program that I ran for several years. My Bride turned several into fine Sandbags. I now keep a few in different places because they are VERY handy for several purposes.

Your wife turned JUNIORS, into SAND BAGS!!! :eek: Wah?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top