JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My old boss.
Took him to Johnson Creek gun club when I was a member there.
He was an older guy,and he had "been shooting longer than I had been alive"
Asked him to read the posted rules,to which he again stated the above statement.
We get in,there are 2 other guys at the lanes..
We commence shooting,and after a few mags we take a break.
I look back in the lobby and there are the 2 guys,giving me the WTF!? look.
I'm talking,and look down to see a loaded 22 revolver pointed at my groin (I'm tall,he was short)
I grimaced,and moved away,and he started using the revolver as an extension of his arm,and talking like a New Yorker-hands and gun flapping all over.
Obviously a lifetime of shooting with bad habits!
I left immediately and never did (or will) shoot with him again.
Bad part is he was my boss,and an awesome guy otherwise.

So there I was shooting at one of the local gravel pits.
When along comes some dudes in a pick up full of black plastic fantastic super duper ranger paratrooper operator super silly tactical rifles , gear and what we used to call "mall ninja" attitude.

They all watch me as I shoot my Hawken rifle copy for a bit.
Then I start to hear all the usual remarks : "Gee look at all the smoke" , "Bet I can catch that round ball out there." , " Can it even go that far?" etc ...

Finally one of the guys comes overs and says :" Lets see if you can hit that pop can over there."
The pop can in question is only about 60-70 yards away.

So as I load powder , patch , ball , then cap ... Our hero is fiddling with his rifle AR15 type , one each , adjusting the sling , getting into a kneeling position , rolling his neck ...
I get tired of waiting and ask : "Are you ready?"
He replies " I'll wait for you."
Up comes my rifle and BOOM! there goes the can flying into orbit...
"Your turn says I."
I then reload.
And wait.
And wait some more.
While Studly the Chairborne Ranger is still dinking around his rifle , messing with scope now , moving his hand back and forth on the upper handguard etc ...
CRACK! his rifle fires and I swear I saw a middle finger flash from the pop can as the bullet hits about a foot over it.

I shoot again , hitting the can.
And go to leave.

Now to be fair I have shot and hunted with this rifle for almost 20 years now and I know just where and how it shoots like the back of my hand.
The other fella had all brand new stuff and didn't seem at all used to it.

For the record I have nothing against AR15 or any other "tactical" rifle.
But I do dislike the notion that new state of the art equipment can take the place of skill and practice.
And like I said these guys had the Mall Ninja 'tude something bad.
It was kinda nice to show what an old fashioned rifle can do. :)
Andy

Last Edited:
When I first moved here to Colorado, we had a tough time finding any places to shoot that were safe or didn't charge an arm and a leg. We found a nice place that looked good, decent back stop, quite a bit of open range for some good distance shooting and no signage saying OFF limits like so many other places we found. It was plain to see that others had found this area, lots of empty brass and targets still stuck all over the place. So I am shooting about 600 meters or so and having a great time, and wouldn't you know it, hear comes a Rice Rocket fart can exhausted car load of dudes who start setting up all sorts of crap and getting ready to unleash hell with what ever they brought. One "Kid" looks to see what I am shooting and then looks to see what I am shooting at, He says to his buddies "hey look at this guy, thinks he's some sort of bad azz operator shooting WAY down there and cant hit nothing!" I just calmly ran the bolt home on a fresh one and let fly! The report and muzzle blast just about knocked them over and every one of them is staring in disbelief just as that big 300 gr solid slammed home on the steel plate some of had left behind. That mountain got really quiet as I calmly picked up all my stuff, and put it away, slung the rifle and walked down range taking my sweet time and picked up the target and walked back to the Jeep. The kids saw those big .375 holes all darn near touching as I told them they could have the plate and do what ever they wanted with it! No one said one word as we rolled out of there!

A member asked if anyone here had some suppressors that he could try out before he committed to buying one.
I agreed to meet him at Tri County gun range where he had a membership.
We shot at the pistol range, then moved on to the 100 yd range to shoot my .300 Blackout SBR.
We had that range all to ourselves and were quietly sighting in my new Trijicon Reflex sight, when an old geezer shows up with his ported Magnum elephant gun.
When the timer went off to signal for the guns to be rendered safe, I realized that I hadn't brought a chamber safety flag, so I pulled the pins, separated the upper & lower and also removed the bolt & charging handle and moved them into a range bag while leaving the rifle barrel pointing down range.
The old guy goes ballistic about no chamber flag and how dangerous it was without one and how he was going to get us kicked off of the range and only after placing the AR into a gun bag did he calm down a bit.
He then set up next to us and start shooting the loudest rifle I've ever heard other then a 50 cal.

I had an ND at my last pin shoot this summer. It happened when I was clearing my 1911 and I shot into the back stop. The RO's were very gracious about it.

Another time we were shooting clay pigeons on the trap range. I accidentally lobbed one over the wall into the pistol range. I went over to apologize to the senior couple that just went in there 10 minutes prior.
They didn't see it fly in there. I'm glad I didn't give them a fright, but still...:oops:

When I was 14 (40 years ago), I was shooting a friends 22 bolt action (my first time ever at a range). I had had zero instruction on firearms, but had read his hunter safety book

When cease fire was called, we stepped away from the bench, but I stepped back up to pick up my jacket. A very helpful Marine Vet informed me that if I had pulled that crap in the Corps, we would be heading to the hospital with his boot up my bubblegum.

I apologized and thanked him for pointing out my mistake. I'll never forget that lesson. Surprisingly, I needed neither puppies or coloring books after the fact.

In the years I've been shooting at ARPC I've only had one real incident.

I was setting my targets on the 200 yard line when I heard the cease fire buzzer stop, somebody had not seen me and made the range hot again. After much yelling and screaming and arm waving on my part they saw me and turned the buzzer back on.

Something like that sure gets your heart pumpin'.

In the years I've been shooting at ARPC I've only had one real incident.

I was setting my targets on the 200 yard line when I heard the cease fire buzzer stop, somebody had not seen me and made the range hot again. After much yelling and screaming and arm waving on my part they saw me and turned the buzzer back on.

Something like that sure gets your heart pumpin'.

Yea-Gawds..... I would imagine that it not only got your heart pumping, but might have inspired a change of underwear as well:eek:

No big deal though, right? I mean, no one else is shooting your lane, so just walk back to the bench in a VERY straight line from your target :rolleyes:

So there I was shooting at one of the local gravel pits.
When along comes some dudes in a pick up full of black plastic fantastic super duper ranger paratrooper operator super silly tactical rifles , gear and what we used to call "mall ninja" attitude.

They all watch me as I shoot my Hawken rifle copy for a bit.
Then I start to hear all the usual remarks : "Gee look at all the smoke" , "Bet I can catch that round ball out there." , " Can it even go that far?" etc ...

Finally one of the guys comes overs and says :" Lets see if you can hit that pop can over there."
The pop can in question is only about 60-70 yards away.

So as I load powder , patch , ball , then cap ... Our hero is fiddling with his rifle AR15 type , one each , adjusting the sling , getting into a kneeling position , rolling his neck ...
I get tired of waiting and ask : "Are you ready?"
He replies " I'll wait for you."
Up comes my rifle and BOOM! there goes the can flying into orbit...
"Your turn says I."
I then reload.
And wait.
And wait some more.
While Studly the Chairborne Ranger is still dinking around his rifle , messing with scope now , moving his hand back and forth on the upper handguard etc ...
CRACK! his rifle fires and I swear I saw a middle finger flash from the pop can as the bullet hits about a foot over it.

I shoot again , hitting the can.
And go to leave.

Now to be fair I have shot and hunted with this rifle for almost 20 years now and I know just where and how it shoots like the back of my hand.
The other fella had all brand new stuff and didn't seem at all used to it.

For the record I have nothing against AR15 or any other "tactical" rifle.
But I do dislike the notion that new state of the art equipment can take the place of skill and practice.
And like I said these guys had the Mall Ninja 'tude something bad.
It was kinda nice to show what an old fashioned rifle can do. :)
Andy

I know a little about your history.
And I'm sure you could have taken that dudes AR, and floored him with your ability to use it. ;)

I would have loved to see the look on his face. If you did just that. :D

That would have been an interesting day for sure Medic. :)
If they were a little more relaxed and not so full of themselves I would have been glad to have given some pointers on how to shoot and carry etc ... A AR15.

But then I do remember being young and very much full of myself.
Glad I was able to find some older friends and some hardcore Sergeants who took a liking to me and showed me how to behave in public. :D
Andy

Last Edited:
Yea-Gawds..... I would imagine that it not only got your heart pumping, but might have inspired a change of underwear as well:eek:

No big deal though, right? I mean, no one else is shooting your lane, so just walk back to the bench in a VERY straight line from your target :rolleyes:

And all the while you have your fingers in your ears, crouch walking and repeating to yourself "I'm Invisible, I'm Invisible, I'm Invisible"!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::D

I can tell you - with my hand placed firmly on my heart - that absolutely NONE of this stuff happens here.

I guess it's because we have no walk-in public ranges where any klutz can just walk in with anything he cares to pack and annoy the h**k out of everybody else .

Members-only clubs and ranges here.

tac

Fishing with my cousin (super coordinated, all-star everything in HS, full ride sports ticket at OSU, southpaw, expert fish killer).

Sadly, they weren't biting, so we started throwing our crap back in the trunk. I pulled out a 12ga pump, a box of clays and a red rubber hand thrower. Asked him if he was a shooter. He'd never touched a gun.

This was at the peak of my skills (last century) and I hit 50/50. So did he. Dick.

Last Edited:
Thanks fellas!
But to quote another western :
Jack Elam : "I don't get it."
James Gardner : " Get what?"
Elam : "How a guy who can shoot like you do , and not have a reputation".
Gardner : "What would I want with a reputation?"
( Support your Local sheriff )
:D

Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR