JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend inherited a bunch of old ammo and some other stuff. He sent me a pic of a box, he says there are no markings on it. Anyone know what it is?

image000001.jpg

The bandolier in the background looks like Turkish 8mm, to me.

The sealed tin, just from the photo, has the general shape and size appearance as some Polish 7.62x25mm I has a long time ago, 1260 rounds per tin. That's just a wild guess based on shape though, could be anything.

The best way to tell is to grab that little handle on it and pull real hard...

Used to be common before the import controls; many varieties of cartridges came in spam cans like this. Without the labeling, I'd guess you need to open it to know the contents.

Possibly old ammo inside. That "rip cord" is designed to open the can with a device like a large key with a slot in it. Like sardines are packaged. Vice grips work as a substitute. If you slowly twist the rip cord around your vice grip you'll get better leverage.

The sealed tin, just from the photo, has the general shape and size appearance as some Polish 7.62x25mm I has a long time ago, 1260 rounds per tin. That's just a wild guess based on shape though, could be anything...
True story:
Got a spam can sorta like that, but it was the size of a shoe box at a gun show. Had some cryllic writing on it stating it was "7.62".
All excited to run my CZ-52 pistol with it, as the S&B 7.62x25 was becoming unavailable.
Turns out it was 7.62x54r.
Not sure if I was ripped off, or if the dealer was mistaken.
Ended up shooting it anyway on some M44s

Last Edited:
I've had a lot of ammo tins over the decades, with a lot of different rounds from numerous different countries. The shape didn't look right to me for any 7.62x54R that I've owned. Similar to 7.62x25 but not quite either.

The thing that caught my eye on yours is the little wooden dowel on the pull wire. I looked around on line to confirm it, and found this:
1683935703977.png

Not mine, found the photo on another forum. The shape and tin style look right, and it's got the same wooden dowel.
I think you have a 900 round tin of Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser, early to mid 1950's. The 70's Yugo 8mm was better ammo, but I think it came in different packaging.

EDIT: Another search tells me that the 70's ammo is indeed packaged the same, so it could me that too, AND the Yugo M67 is also packaged much the same. It's hard to tell dimensions from the angle of the photos, so it could very well be that. Either way, it is Yugoslavian.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads