JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm about to head out to the store sometime today and was wondering what's the best grain to target shoot my new .40? Oh and this will be my conceal pistol once I have shot through it a few hundred times if that helps.

Whatever is cheapest

For self defense the 155 or 165 grain Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints are hard to beat. Be sure to run at least 50 rds through your gun after it's broken in, to see how they function in it

Break in for Glocks and such should be at least 500 rds IMO. For steel frame guns I run 1,500 rds through and then the intended carry ammo before I trust it with my life

Buy as many different loads as you can and see what your gun likes best. The "best" load may not be the best for your particular gun. Try a few and see what works best for you and stick with it :)

Try the Gold Dots first.. if they do not work well in your weapon then get back at us and we'll give other recommended loads. There's no need to buy a bunch of expensive loads all at once, try them one or two at a time until you find one that not only is accurate and reliable, but has a good street record of stops and looks good in professional test media with and without clothing barriers (like the Gold Dot, which can and does often expand to 2 x caliber, with good penetration depth)

Yea i ended up buying a couple of boxes of Blazer Brass 165 grain for my .40. It was the cheapest at bi mart so i went with it. Thanks for the help.

If it's brass cased Boxer primed ammo, save the once fired brass for later reloading or selling/trading on this site
Definitely! I don't reload but i know someone who does as i have helped him once. For the last few years i have kept just about all my brass. Thanks.

Last Edited:
I use the same bullet weight if they are cheap practice rounds or the expensive Gold Dots. For my .40 Glocks it's the 180 grain. For carry, either Gold Dot or the new Federal HSP. My personal is that I want penetration as well as expansion. Only hits in vital areas count!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top