JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im sorry to see Al Sharpton using this shooting as an opportunity for his own political grand standing (I lost faith in Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson when a local white kid was beaten by 2 black kids on a school bus and it was caught on video, an obvious racial hate crime of black on white, and they made no marches or public appearances on the matter)

But if we can get past the racial overtones, what do you think of people who own a firearm, that are vigilantes, who think they are now officially a free-lance police officer, because they own a gun? Maybe the guy did a thing or two good for his neighborhood, but under the circumstances, usually I don't trust a media frenzy, but it looks quite apparent that this guy racially profiled and based on his weight, and the kid he was attempting to apprehend was at least 100lbs lighter than him. Somewhere in the 911 call he referred as a general statement of African-Americans as f'n coon's.

I think he is going to be arrested, probably charged with 2nd degree murder but I don't know yet. The evidence currently seems pretty damning, He might of had a rapport with the police in that neighborhood for volunteering for neighborhood watch which is why they didn't investigate him more closely. I wouldn't shoot someone over a scuffle unless they were fighting for my firearm, or they had a deadly weapon in their hand. But between a bag of skittles and an Iced Tea, I just don't see any plausible reason why some 17 year old kid in a gated community was deemed a deadly threat, my guess is it was a black kid in a white neighborhood who looked out of place.

I found a link to a story that says the man, George Zimmerman had aspirations of being a police officer. I can see why he would want to be some kind of cop if he dedicated hours of his days, and 46 calls to 911 on New Years Eve alone, as if he was some kind of protector of the public and his handgun made him into that role.

Under the circumstances and now a federal investigation, what do you guys think of the shooting?

I don't know what happened so I think I'll wait for the facts to come out. And I'll be very careful about who I believe.

The media says the white guy is guilty of killing a little black kid.

I don't trust the media so I looked around.

Little black kid is 6'3" and plays football.
White guy is a Latino, media and Holder says 'aww dang'.
Witness says Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman kicking his fat but. It was Zimmerman yelling for help. Zimmerman has a bloody nose and injuries to the back of his head.

The good thing is now he is going to go to a place that is full of the very thing that frightens him" black people" and the place is prison! That idot is going to jail and maybe some kids will be safe no matter what the color of their skin may be. Fry his ***!

I don't know what happened so I think I'll wait for the facts to come out. And I'll be very careful about who I believe.

Witness says Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman kicking his fat but. It was Zimmerman yelling for help. Zimmerman has a bloody nose and injuries to the back of his head.

I'm glad someone has read some facts about this case.

Sounds about right.

IF that is true, aside from the fact that Zimmerman deserved to get his fat *** kicked for playing 'CCW police', you can't use deadly force because you are losing a fight.

In any case, responsible gun owners will lose. The media will portray this Zimmerman asshat as 'your average gun toter' and more anti-gun BS will be pushed by the media. A Grand Jury will see that Zimmerman is arrested and the circus will start. The Twittering Twits are raging and must be satisfied.

Just more ammo for the anti-gunners out there. Most of them already try to paint those of us who carry as renegade/vigilantes, out LOOKING for a reason to whip out that pistola.
It will be hard to explain the shooting as self-defense, since the shooter "stalked" the deceased, against the advice of a 9-1-1 operator, and had no reason to do it. Who cares if someone you dont recognize is in your housing development? I dont know 3/4 of the homeowners in my neighborhood and I can't possibly know all of their friends, family, and invited guests.
If you decided to yell at, follow in a car, chase on foot, then confront a "suspicious" person, then get punched in the face- its your own fault! Don't be an idiot; you brought the incident to a boil. Imagine you're walking in your neighborhood (or to your fiance's dads house) and some guy is following you, yelling at you to stop, etc. Would you? Why? He has no legal right to stop or question you. Looks bad to me. Poor choices made by the shooter.
I posted this in another thread on the same topic, before I saw this one as well.

You can in Florida, apparently.
No, not even in Florida.

I personally put my tinfoil hat on for this one because I believe police are using this event to rally the community against the stand your ground laws in Florida. These laws are very unpopular with police and politicians alike. This is their way of getting the law overturned without having to appear that they went against the will of the people. How else do you explain the discrepancies in the police reports and actual witness testimony. How do you explain the amount of attention police are deliberately bringing to this case and it facts.

No, not even in Florida.

I personally put my tinfoil hat on for this one because I believe police are using this event to rally the community against the stand your ground laws in Florida. These laws are very unpopular with police and politicians alike. This is their way of getting the law overturned without having to appear that they went against the will of the people. How else do you explain the discrepancies in the police reports and actual witness testimony. How do you explain the amount of attention police are deliberately bringing to this case and it facts.

Florida's 2005 Stand Your Ground law allows people to use deadly force if they "reasonably believe" that it's "necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm."

I posted this in another thread on the same topic, before I saw this one as well.

I didn't see a thread on the topic, maybe I was naive since it is todays media frenzy, and it involved a rash irresponsible gun owner (as the youtube video points out George Zimmerman was a Mall Ninja) who was also some kind of vigilante. If there was another thread on the topic at hand, I missed it completely but I knew it would make for good conversation amongst fellow firearm owners so I created the thread anyways.

After reading the 911 call transcripts and other info, this Trayvon Martin story is horrible- and the problem isn't with the "stand your ground" law, the problem is with the neighborhood watch guy (Zimmerman) who murdered this kid and is trying to use the law to cover his ***, and a police department that is unwilling to do the right this and arrest this clown. 3 conditions must exist for you to be able to legally utilize deadly force- ability, opportunity, and jeopardy. Trayvon had NONE of these things! The "stand your ground" law shouldn't apply because the kid didn't attack anyone, except fighting for his own life from this racist piece of garbage. Do the right thing Florida- lock this piece of crap in a very dark hole for a very long time

Florida's 2005 Stand Your Ground law allows people to use deadly force if they "reasonably believe" that it's "necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm."

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Here is the link to the actual statute versus what you think you know. Notice in Section (3) it states, "A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked..." Zimmerman stalked, yelled and chased Martin prior to the incident. That could be construed as instigating an unlawful activity and therefore is explicitly not allowed under the statute. What this really comes down to is there enough evidence to determine who started the fight. If Zimmerman chased down and engaged Martin, then Zimmerman is in the wrong and will likely be indicted by the grand jury. The problem is that there is only one story to be told and it sounds like Zimmerman is saying that he had disengaged from the pursuit and was heading back to the truck when he was attacked. If that is the case then Zimmerman is an idiot but would be within his rights to shoot Martin because Martin was on top of him punching him in the face.

Thinking selfishly I hope that Zimmerman is indicted and found guilty. The guy is obviously a wannabe cop as evidenced by his prior actions and is quite frankly the perfect caricature of gun owners that the Brady Bunch wants to potray us. However with only his testimony I think he will be acquited and a ***storm will ensue with everyone blaming the Stand Your Ground Laws without really understanding them.

Read the statute again and note Section 3. In order for the alw to apply the person cannot be engaged in unlawful activity, which if Zimmerman chased and tried to physically confront Martin he was certainly committing assualt. Say that I walk up to you and punch you in the face. Then you start fighting back and I realize you're bigger and stronger than me and you are about to wipe the floor with me. I can't legally then decide to pull my firearm and shoot you in self defense. Now say you teach me a lesson and I get up and start walking away and you decide that you want to go again. Then I would have an argument that I could shoot you in self defense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top