JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
~ 450 rounds of .45 ACP, in mostly matching headstamp match brass, 200 grain BBI semiwadcutters over 4.3 grains of Accurate #2. All gauged, only a few no-goes. Did about 150 with a local brand of 230 grain poly coated round nose and 4.5 grains, but lots of rejects on those... think I need to work on my seating setup, since the ones that don't gauge have a bulge at the base of the seated bullet. ( They may not be going in perfectly straight.)

Not super hot loads, but I can control the recoil pretty well at this level, so they are accurate shooting in my CZ 97.

Anyone used the Redding competition seater die on straight walled pistol cartridges? It looks like a pretty good design for getting everything concentric....
Currently using an RCBS seater with the crimp part backed all the way off, and a separate Lee taper crimp die. ( not the fcd).

50 rounds of 300 BKO
25 rounds of 110 grain Zmax with 15.5 grain N110
that I've determined to be pretty dependable and 25 rounds of 110 grain Zmax using H110 in variable charges of 5 each.. I'm still working upwards from 18 grain and downwards from 20 grains in .2 to .4 charge.
I prefer the N110 for accuracy but it does not meter well for me.. Every round has to be trickled in.
The H110 is super flawless metering. Set it and forget it..

View attachment 534845

Sadly I think Hornady stopped making Z-max. Once I am out, I'll have to find a different bullet - sucks too, those were great. A-max is a lot more expensive.

From what I've read, Z-Max is identical to V-Max, just green tips instead of red. Total marketing ploy.

EDITED: Wait, it looks like there are structural differences.
This was my thought too, though I haven't done any "research" on it. My assumption was based on the fact that both the "Z"-max and "A-max" of identical weight hit the lands of my rifling at the exact same length (base to ogive). That said a lot to me as far as consistency of those two bullets coming different boxes from the Hornady factory.

From what I've read, Z-Max is identical to V-Max, just green tips instead of red. Total marketing ploy.

EDITED: Wait, it looks like there are structural differences.

Yeah - either way, it was cheaper than V max too! Seems like a great bullet from the tests I have seen, was sad to hear they stopped making it.

Lots of conjecture and debate. You be the judge...

Close but the zombie (left) definitely has a thicker jacket. Bottom line, either one would definitely mess up any gelatin based creatures, 2 leg or 4.....:D

2961810C-5FED-48E8-AFF4-30CFCC933FDE.jpeg

Since I can't locate and .224 dia. bullets for my 5.56 loads I have been experimenting. I have 100's of 22 Win Mag ammo I don't use. I have been pulling the bullets to be used in a load. They are 40gr FMJ or 36 gr HP. The bullets are .2235 should be fine. Might not be as accurate but at least they will still go 'bang'. Used an RCBS bullet pullet with .224 collet rather than a impact puller. For the shell holder I found that the one for a 25 ACP works well.

Saving the 4.6gr of what ever the powder is. Once other bullets finally become available I will use the load in my 22 Hornet. Should be a moderate load in a Hornet.

View attachment 680069
How did these 5.56 loads work out for you?

Processed about 1100 plus a few .380 cases to "primed and ready to load" status. Loaded 40 up for a ladder test with Accurate #2, and X-treme 100 grain copper plated rnfp. Set the dies up a little better, this time, an RCBS seating die with the crimp backed all the way out, and a Lee FCD after it. Rounds gauged 100%.

I'm curious how this one turns out, the loading tables all give that standard HP-38/W231 load of 3.1 grains as the best accuracy, but I know the AA2 meters better. In such a small case, I would expect that to make a lot of difference in consistency. As my dad once said, " One mechanical test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

That box of ready to process 9mm is staring at me...

Processed about 1100 plus a few .380 cases to "primed and ready to load" status. Loaded 40 up for a ladder test with Accurate #2, and X-treme 100 grain copper plated rnfp. Set the dies up a little better, this time, an RCBS seating die with the crimp backed all the way out, and a Lee FCD after it. Rounds gauged 100%.

I'm curious how this one turns out, the loading tables all give that standard HP-38/W231 load of 3.1 grains as the best accuracy, but I know the AA2 meters better. In such a small case, I would expect that to make a lot of difference in consistency. As my dad once said, " One mechanical test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

That box of ready to process 9mm is staring at me...

I have a pound of Accurate #2 I've been meaning to make a load for short barreled micro 9mm and see how that compares to my standard Accurate #5 loads.

It's rapidly become my "go to" pistol powder. I like a fast powder for low perceived recoil, and the stuff meters so well I'm getting single digit SD's on a regular basis with it. Been getting 4.5 SD on my main target load for 9mm, plus accuracy that's consistent enough, I know it's all me if I miss. The 9mm and .45 ACP I load for both are 4.7-5" barrels.

Another 100 rounds of 9mm self-defense loads using Hornady 124gr XTPs and 5.4gr of Ramshot Silhouette. CCI small pistol primers. Winchester virgin brass casings.

Normally like to transition over to Speer Gold Dots this time of year, but can't find any locally.

I still only have a Lee single-stage press, and an RCBS powder measure from the 70's, so 100 rounds even with virgin brass takes over 3 hours.

But, seeing that there is absolutely no 9mm available locally, I'm thankful that I can roll my own. Doing much less shooting lately in order to conserve my stockpile.

My bench is a mess, but the ammo is good, consistent, and accurate...

View attachment 711697
Curious which powder you use for gold dot?
Not that I have any...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top