JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've acquired and built and done some pretty useful things in the last 2 weeks to prep, but that's not what I "did" today to Prep.

What I did today was make a conscious decision to focus (Just a little) on OPSec... Operational Security, and keep some of my prepping activities to myself.

You honestly never know who's watching and learning.

If it's real sensitive, or critical to your survival, or could be used against you by anyone, or compromised simply by knowing the make and model of the gizmo then there's no need to share it on the Internet.

I went to the sand place and harvest me some sand. Washed out the PU truck, fertilized lawn., repurposed horse stalls for a coming project, put-off sharpening saw chains till tommorow

I've acquired and built and done some pretty useful things in the last 2 weeks to prep, but that's not what I "did" today to Prep.

What I did today was make a conscious decision to focus (Just a little) on OPSec... Operational Security, and keep some of my prepping activities to myself.

You honestly never know who's watching and learning.

If it's real sensitive, or critical to your survival, or could be used against you by anyone, or compromised simply by knowing the make and model of the gizmo then there's no need to share it on the Internet.

You mean everybody but us, right Jack?;)

I announced at last Christmas' neighborhood party that ammo got way too expensive so I sold off any guns and moved on to another 'hobby.' Also, that storing food was stupid because Fred Meyer and Safeway was just blocks away.

The economy was great, just look at the stock market! I was wrong - bordering on paranoid.

Repairing the damage done from being such a careless blabber mouth about prepping back in the day. There is no reward for that, only punishment. 99% are in a complete state of delusion and denial anyway.

As for prepping, I restored my meager 150-gal water storage (pathetic really, but better than nothing). At night of course :D

As for prepping, I restored my meager 150-gal water storage (pathetic really, but better than nothing). At night of course :D

Hey Burt,
You don't seem too satisfied with 150 gallons of water storage. Just a thought. You can find intact swimming pools for free fairly routinely on Craigslist. You can use one of these pools to catch your roof's rain run off and… voila, you have 1000-3000 gallons of water storage that people won't suspect as prepping.

You might want to have a good higher capacity water filter to make it usable water though. If you don't have your water filter needs handled yet, you might be interested in checking out the Lifesaver 5 gallon jerry can filter. They use them in the British military I guess and in disaster relief efforts around the world. The jerry can filters come in 10,000 liter or 20,000 liter versions. Last I looked Costco sells a two-pack of the 10,000 liter cans on their website.

These things filter down to .o15 microns (smaller than the smallest virus) and have charcoal elements to remove/reduce chemical contaminants as well. We actually scored one of these on Craigslist recently for $100. Below is one of the youtube reviews of this filter if you want to check it out. Take it easy.

UPDATE: Just checked Costco's site and it appears they've discontinued the jerry can filters and now only carry the Lifesaver personal water bottle filters. Amazon or Ebay would be the next place to look I guess.

Last Edited:
Yesterday we went through our disaster supplies, and replaced about a half dozen cans that were expired. Then, replaced all of the plastic tubs with heavy plastic boxes that are "crush-resistant"..

Today, I made fun of the local Police.. And when he stopped to yell back at me, we made plans to go ride our motorcycles tomorrow.

Always nice to have friends in low places!

repurposing and organizing building supplies for Site#1's raised bed gardens, buying another 1/2 yard of manure , rigging timer controlled soak hoses
Prepping chain saws for another week's fun.
I might even hit a WinnCo this week and fuel-up while in town

Got my Baofeng 82Ls programmed turned the EMS/Sheriff band and within 2 minutes monitored a call of an attempted suicide 40 miles distant.
Planning on buying a roof mount antenna and a car charger in the near future, These babies rock!

@Burt Gummer: As a follow up to my earlier post about your water storage (post #5258) concern, here's one of those free pools that just popped up on Craigslist. Comes with a cover and holds 2800 gallons.

<broken link removed>

@erudne: You mentioned making a run to Winco. They have great deals there, but don't forget Cash n' Carry if you have one close by. Boneless pork loin is on sale right now for $1.77 lb and they come in 10 pound'ish logs. Chop the logs up into individual roasts and freeze them or can them. Also 50 lb of whole wheat flour for $12.99 & lastly, 50 lbs of #2 potatoes for $6.00. Sale ends tomorrow. No…. I don't work there.

Last Edited:
@Burt Gummer: As a follow up to my earlier post about your water storage (post #5258) concern, here's one of those free pools that just popped up on Craigslist. Comes with a cover and holds 2800 gallons.

<broken link removed>

@erudne: You mentioned making a run to Winco. They have great deals there, but don't forget Cash n' Carry if you have one close by. Boneless pork loin is on sale right now for $1.77 lb and they come in 10 pound'ish logs. Chop the logs up into individual roasts and freeze them or can them. Also 50 lb of whole wheat flour for $12.99 & lastly, 50 lbs of #2 potatoes for $6.00. Sale ends tomorrow. No…. I don't work there.

Thanks for the info!
I shop C&C in The Dalles but I never make it there for a sale due to work.
A year ago I asked C&C to bring in 50 pounds of dried Mung Beans for my LTF supply. The sack arrived (from China), I think it was $.50 a pound, dirt cheap. BTW sprouted Mung beans are very high in nutrients, an excellent source of Veggie fiber and brighten-up LTF meals

Thanks for the info!
I shop C&C in The Dalles but I never make it there for a sale due to work.
A year ago I asked C&C to bring in 50 pounds of dried Mung Beans for my LTF supply. The sack arrived (from China), I think it was $.50 a pound, dirt cheap. BTW sprouted Mung beans are very high in nutrients, an excellent source of Veggie fiber and brighten-up LTF meals

Thanks for the heads up on mung beans. I'd heard about them some time ago but life happened and they fell of my radar. I'll look back into them. Re: your being unable to get to C&C because of work, if you know someone who could make it C&C for you, they would likely be jazzed about scoring on some good deals while their at it too. No? Just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up on mung beans. I'd heard about them some time ago but life happened and they fell of my radar. I'll look back into them. Re: your being unable to get to C&C because of work, if you know someone who could make it C&C for you, they would likely be jazzed about scoring on some good deals while their at it too. No? Just a thought.
Good thought but, if one takes paved roads it's still 87 miles, one way.
Those Mung beans are very small but they have loads of potential as sprouts. Just google images of Mung beans, it's an eye opener, there must be a million acres in cultivation in China
th?id=JN.jI9bZCcdJRR0kEOppgbLvA&pid=15.1&P=0.jpg
th?id=JN.k3Pry9LSv3g6jlVnvORs%2bw&pid=15.1&P=0.jpg
One wonders: If one could grow enough Mung beans could one brew Mung Bean Beer?
th?id=JN.rR3zt7ZMA1tjHbegD3b%2bQQ&pid=15.1&P=0.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews