JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spent some time working with the .45 ACP CZ-97 Tuesday night, testing three candidates for match ammo, and doing some slower paced accuracy shooting. Was pretty happy with the results, all three loads tended to make a ragged 2" hole at 10 yards, with only a few flyers from my own errors. Finished up with a little "fun time", just zapping the plate rack for times with the 9mm. The slightly hotter 230 grain loads for the CZ worked well to hit that 6" plate in bay 4 pretty consistently. Guessing the range is about 20-25 yards, but I didn't bother to walk it off, even though I had to put the plate back up after shooting it off.

The .22's are fun for competition, too, like rimfire challenge, and speed steel. I have a 1911 clone that's all raced out, in .22, and a Kel-tec CP33 that is super fast. I keep an eye out for those " free shipping" deals at Midway, to order 5k rounds at a time.

I held the CP33 recently as well. Thought it was a bit crazy looking. But can't complain on 33+1!

I held the CP33 recently as well. Thought it was a bit crazy looking. But can't complain on 33+1!

Yeah, it's my "space dis-integrator". I thought the Holosun 510c might be too big, but it actually works really well having the larger field of view. Runs really well in speed steel/rimfire challenge type competitions.

20200131_065918.jpg

Nice! BTW, which 1911 22LR do you have?

It's the GSG 1911-22, in my profile pic. Original barrel, receiver, and sear, upgraded everything else. I like that stock 1911 parts fit it, makes it much easier to fix issues. Been mostly shooting centerfire stuff lately, does shooting a match count as training? Shot a bowling pin match last night, great bunch of folks to shoot with! The CZ-97 got to come out and play, for once.

Used to do Shinkendo, but after we moved from Michigan, the closest dojo is 2 hours away, in Portland. If I were truly dedicated to it, I suppose that would be no obstacle, but I have let go of that practice.

Used to do Shinkendo, but after we moved from Michigan, the closest dojo is 2 hours away, in Portland. If I were truly dedicated to it, I suppose that would be no obstacle, but I have let go of that practice.

Relearn on your own; comes back quickly. Look on youtube for refresher ideas. It is the basics that win out in combat.
FYI: Short sticks have all but disappeared from Amazon as retractable batons. You can make your own sticks from Home Depot supply pretty easily. Just may come in handy. I keep my short sticks on my passenger side of the truck; just in case I am not carrying.

3d time out shooting trap today. Scores are starting to come up, best today was 22/25. Other than a couple of absolute trainwrecks, it feels like it's starting to work...

Shot some more steel today and took my wife and daughter with me, daughters first time shooting steel targets but she did really well, hit 6 of 10 on her best magazine.

I even feel more and more comfortable with my gun everytime, hand is sliding right into place without many adjustments, allowing me to work on and focus on other things.

What's the normal distance for speed steel, is it the same as the plate rack distance at ARPC?

Not today, but this past weekend. Ran 6 CoF on Saturday and 8 on Sunday with a coupla buddies from out of town. The vid is from Saturday.
Dropped a mag somewhere during the CoF and had to scrounge around until I found a half-empty one on the ground. Wasn't expecting that, so I guess that's good training, eh?
View attachment 06-27-20_Stage6_Sobo.MOV

What's the normal distance for speed steel, is it the same as the plate rack distance at ARPC?

Man, I thought I already posted a reply to this, but I don't see it, today. Speed Steel has varying distances to the plates, and the set up gets pretty creative, to keep it interesting. Here's a link to some Steel Challenge stage setups, which includes some record times for them by Max Michel: Stages
@sobo, what are you using to record video with? Nice image quality, I like it. Where IS that? Looks like a permanent installation?

Hoping to get signed up for my first USPSA here soon, if it doesn't get shut down, again.

@sobo, what are you using to record video with? Nice image quality, I like it. Where IS that? Looks like a permanent installation?

Hoping to get signed up for my first USPSA here soon, if it doesn't get shut down, again.
Just an iPhone 6. Had it set to shoot at the default setting of 1080p HD @ 30 fps, but that takes up a helluva lotta space. I have since re-set it to shoot at 720p HD @ 30 fps for my next time out to reduce file size.
I taught my buddies to film by following the shooter in the same manner that the official course timer does in a USPSA match. You can get some really great angles that way. Just gotta make sure that the photographer stays out of the way of the shooter's planned movements. We "rehearse" the photographer's path with the shooter before we run any filmed CoF. Note how the photographer retreats back toward the starting position just a bit in advance of me as I finish up the targets at the far end of the "hallway" before I also retreat to engage the swingers. Kinda cool...

We tried the GoPro thing last summer (you can see the GoPro camera mount stuck on the crosspiece of my ear pro), but the camera is a bit top-heavy and flops around during speedy movements and quick directional changes. Plus, all that flopping around would pull my ear pro off too often, so we abandoned that in favor of the phone cameras. Down side is you have to have at least two people in order to film a CoF that way - one to shoot the match, the other to film it. And then throw in the iPhone stopwatch and it gets complicated. Which is why just last night I went on BezosMart and ordered a Pocket Pro 2 shot timer. It'll be here in a week or so! Yeah, baby! Goin' pro! :rolleyes:

The CoF is set up at my range outside of Benton City, WA. It's the Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility, and we hold monthly speed steel and USPSA matches. We were shut down for a while after Jackboot Jay issued his edict, but we started running matches again back in May. Speed steel is first Sunday of every month, USPSA is third Sunday of every month. We are limiting number of contestants to 40, whereas pre-plandemic we would regularly get 50-60 sign-ups. The speed steel match is this Sunday, and the USPSA comp will be on the 19th. Come on down!

Last Edited:
I'm headed to the range today to practice my draw and transitioning between targets. Iron sight 9mm. Just draw and shoot 5 different 8 inch targets from around 15 yards or so. I'm pretty rusty and will be shooting a steel match tomorrow. 18th place here I come! :p

What an awesome day!
Spent the morning running a stage we set up with two uspsa targets at 6 yards, a short run to the right, and 5 steels in a 'V" out around 15 yards, pointing away from the shooter, with the smallest target in the middle as a stop plate. Only got about 60 rounds in with the CZ97, and broke it. ( the loaded chamber indicator came loose, apparently this is common. Found all the parts, cleaned it in the ultrasonic cleaner, and reassembled with loc-tite bearing compound. ) Continued on with the Sig, with times I was pretty happy with. Continuing to work on "eyes to the next target first", and messing around to see how small of splits I can get if I'm going all out... it's really hard to get .16 right now, .25 ( or more) is a lot more normal. Did it briefly, lots of "trigger freeze" at that speed.

So, I'm reading this book that's really firing me up, "Mind Vs. Target" by Bob Palmer. Mainly aimed at clay shooters, but so much of this is applicable everywhere, including other sports and life in general. He teaches how to get yourself "In the zone" whenever you want to, and how to stay there as long as you want... and darned if it doesn't work. To start off with, you just immerse yourself in the memory of the last time you were in the zone... how it felt, the adrenaline, all that. The more you practice it, the easier it is to get back there. There's a lot about the idea of being "at play", like when we were small children, the sense of adventure and exploration we often lose as adults. Anyway, it seems to be pretty useful stuff, and a good read. I find myself doing it at work, and having much more positive days, as a result!

WooHoo! Got registered for my first USPSA match! Now, if I can just get through it safely, without a trip to the Dairy Queen...

WooHoo! Got registered for my first USPSA match! Now, if I can just get through it safely, without a trip to the Dairy Queen...
For my first match, not getting DQ'ed was my one and only goal for the day, and I met it.
And I even placed 42nd out of 50 overall, including the one guy that did get a DQ. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top