JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your eyes are goin' on ya, shouldn't you be moving from N gauge to HO gauge...??? o_O

Training for me = 16oz wrist curls.

J/K I'm not shooting IDPA this year.. I really was excited about getting out and doing something, but my feet and back hurt too much during and esp after a match. Our matches have become too long. They used to run from 10am to 12noon, but since our previous match director retired they've been running 10am-2pm... that's too long for this poor old guy to be on his feet. Even when I bring a chair, I'm up taping targets (I can't pick brass any more due to back problems).

Anyway, I'm having foot surgery this Thursday, so I hope it dramatically increases my mobility even if it doesn't end the pain. :)

Saturday's USPSA match went really well. I shot a "B" on the classifier, which turned out to be almost exactly the one I had trained for, with the addition of an " El Presidente" style turn and draw to start, and then rotating through strong hand/ weak hand unsupported. I smiled when I saw what stage it was...
Still at the place in my training where things require a lot of conscious processing, there is a LOT going on on a big USPSA stage, and that slows me down. I'm glad I started with Speed Steel to learn a lot of basics without the added complication of movement. There was one stage, where I just had a hard time getting it all in memory, like when your browser gives you ram errors; having to stop and think and make decisions while doing a run is not ideal. Still, for a second match, I think I did really well. Added plus of getting to meet and shoot with Keith Tyler. Getting to watch a GM work a stage was pretty cool!

One of the reasons I had to stop shooting in our local USPSA matches was the round count kept creeping up... as much as 500rd for a weekend meet.

Another was the complexity and the advent of memory challenges in the stages... you know, "Go this way, pick up the square peg out of the bucket (not the round peg or the triangle), back up to the second square, put peg in the 5th bucket from the end, then go.... " It was all a bit much for an aging mind that was barely able to focus. And I thought it was pointless. It's always fun shooting, and I'm not overly focused on score, but it started getting embarrassing.

I shot with two Grand Masters. One was a younger guy we nicknamed "Rocket". He practiced with at least 1000rds/wk. When he shot, it sounded like fully automatic weapon fire. But he either scored very very well, or he sucked at times. It was all about the timing, and he sometimes had a bad day.

The other GM was a fellow in his 70s. I hadn't expected him to be a GM by looking at him. He used to advise me not to worry about speed... worry about the hits and the speed will come. Used the old line "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!"

Glad you are having fun and enjoying a great action shooting sport!!!

Last Edited:
Some of the fastest runs I've had didn't seem fast, at the time. You're just in that zone where it's just you and the targets, and the shooting, and having a good day. It's the runs where I PUSH to go faster that sometimes turn into a trainwreck.

@bbbass, I hope your surgery goes well, and you're able to keep on doin. I'm hoping when my body starts to give out, that I'll at least be able to still do speed steel, or steel challenge, even if not as fast. There really IS a lot to remember on the USPSA stages, been thinking I need to order some of those Chinese " cerebral tonic" pills to nudge my memory to work faster.... that's not a euphemism, they really exist. 1597530961935.png

I'm hoping when my body starts to give out, that I'll at least be able to still do speed steel, or steel challenge, even if not as fast.

The problem is that after the bod starts to give out, and the speed slows, the "drive" seems to diminish, which slows speed further. I'm looking forward to simple target shooting (punching bullseyes/paper) or .22 Steel Silhouette. Maybe I need some HGH or testosterone... ;):)

Whata rockin day! Went up to Beaverton, and bought a 625 from a member here, ( Thank you, @galleyjoe !!!) and got the " Instant Winner!" background check, so I got to go home, and then immediately to the range with my new toy! Loaded up all 75 moon clips that came with it, with an assortment of .45 acp handloads, all sorts of primers including cci large magnum pistol. No ignition problems at all. Very easy gun to shoot accurately, and the sights were already dead on.

So, I set up the steels with the middle ones at 13 yards, and the ipsc targets at 7 yards. The steel drill was to hit 5 targets, do a reload, and hit them again. Best times there were in the 14 second range. I'm still figuring out reloads with moon clips, will try a few different things. On the ipsc targets, same thing, but ll 6 rounds on one target, reload, 6 on the same target. Only missed the "A" box once. Times around 11 seconds.

As time went on, I noticed myself not noticing the da trigger nearly as much, just a fast, straight pull back. I think this thing will be very good for my trigger control, both for revolver, and semi. Gotta get a holster and moon holders ordered!

Ok, off to get a load of brass in the wash....

mooning.jpg halfway.jpg a box.jpg empty.jpg

Yes, Good luck under the knife! Speedy recovery to you, good sir!

I've got knee surgery coming up in November, due to a medial meniscus tear from ~6+ years ago that's finally taking me down.

Took about a 14 mile backpack camp trip from shell rock trail head thru to serene lake and got picked up at roaring river campground the next nite. There was to many people but it was the weekend so to be expected everyhing went smooth and my legs are sore and my mind is calm. 3F37A48A-091D-435F-BB89-2301D0C3DBF9.jpeg 93CA9C6F-B5E6-4EEC-8F0A-BCD3B8EEBD61.jpeg

Did your dog let you have any of that drink? Looks like a beautiful place, and that's sure a good feeling after doing a massive hike like that.

Post match messing around/training. Figured out a better revolver reload. ( I'm a lefty, so there's not quite as many good examples on youtube) Previous best time to do "Jerry drills" ( 6 rounds on target, reload, 6 more rounds on target) was 11 seconds, current par time is 9 seconds. Right hand hits cylinder release, right index pushes cylinder out and follows through the frame to secure it. Hammer spur is under the web of the right hand, gun is tilted up. Right middle finger is pressing ejector while left hand grabs a moonclip, gun tilts down, moonclip flies into cylinder ( usually, need to chamfer the chamber edges) Left hand is establishing grip and coming up on target as right cups under the frame with several fingers and closes the cylinder, right hand positions support as trigger is staging back in da.

Hadn't posted anything here for a while, so here goes... not for lack of training, but I just don't always post what i do.

So, today was a ladder test and then settled down and did reload drills with the revolver. Two USPSA silhouette targets, at 15 yards out, about 10 yards apart. The drill was to put two rounds in the "A" box on a target, reload, and put two rounds in the other "A" box, drawing from a holster. Only counts, if all four rounds are A's. Best times were about 7.3 seconds, using my "not specifically made for fast reloads" ammo to use it up. Pretty good drill for a low round count day, and my times did improve from an initial 9 seconds. Established a good grip index for the Hogue grips on the 625, and mostly focused on getting the exact same grip every time, more than on speed. It was interesting, the runs where things went sideways usually were the result of the grip not being right. This is early season stuff for me, so the focus for a while is going to be more on perfect technique than on speed.

Now, on another front, I'm having to be conservative with ammo, since all things ammunition related are in short supply these days, with no end in sight. Lots of dry fire, and trying to maximize the return per round of live fire, as I work on loading enough "same load" ammunition to last a season.

Taught a group of people how to safely shoot off team members flanks, while team moving in both assault and exfiltrate maneuvers.

Team assaults are not going to be firing line type skirmishes, you'll have people spread out and at varied distances...taught them about AOR, keeping it in check while multitasking.

Temp low 30s, but a good morning nonetheless.

Started back up with training, today, 500 rounds of .45ACP through the 625. Didn't notice til I got home, but I raised a small blister on the trigger finger. :) This year is going to be all revolver, for me. Inventoried primers and loaded ammo for the .45, and if I plan for a 6 month season, ending with the State Steel Challenge match in June, I can budget 2k rounds a month on the supplies I have. Hoping that either primers will become available again by then, or I find a Super GP in 9mm to buy. I have a pretty good stack of 9mm already loaded that would be suitable.
Today's drills, since I took a couple of months off, were mostly fundamentals. Getting the same exact grip every time on the draw, pulling the trigger straight back without a pause, and without disturbing the sights, getting used to my new Rx shooting glasses ( which rock, I can see the iron sights, AND the target clearly. ) and remembering to move my eyes first in transitions. I meant to video the draw, and the reload, but I got so focused on the shooting, I forgot. :oops: Ah, well... next time.

Got a big paper desk calendar so I can mark out all the matches I'm interested in, and which Saturdays I'm off work, and plan practice days.

There's also some chance I'll have the H&R .22 revolver running well enough by the time the centerfire stuff runs out, that I can use that. Not sure I can justify a grand for a 617 just for practice...

The range was pretty packed out today! So, what have you all been doing for practice in this time of limited ammo?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top