JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm always armed. My weapon is always loaded. It seems like common sense to me. I know firearms safety is a very important topic. I've always done my best to observe the 4 weapons safety rules as taught to me by my grandfather and the military. I realize that what is common sense to me is not the same for everyone. I've seen several new shooters who scared the bejeezus out of me. In general, most of them got better and I now trust them with weapons. But there are exceptions... It sometimes makes sense to me why there are what I consider to be chicken bubblegum rules.

Which range rules have you seen that aren't common sense? Why?

What are some common sense range rules? And why are they common sense?

I like wooden dowel rods in an empty FA....put in barrels.....watch for the out for the barrel crown but a great teaching tool for "sweeping" yourself or others...different lengths for different applications.....start small by the time you get to rifle it almost teaches itself.

When you go to a range and put your rifle on the bench and open the case and the rifle is pointing at you, close the case and turn the case around so the barrel is pointing downrange, then reopen the case to set up your bench or table. Why? Because Rule #1 and 2.

Ranges usually post a dozen or so rules for all to see/follow. But some good ones are not posted. Here's just a handful that feel like common sense to me:

- In unregulated pits, etc., I draw a line that no one steps across without calling an official cease fire. PERIOD. Very important when someone is focused on sighting in a rifle, another is plinking cans with a pistol and two more are throwing clays.

- "EARS!" Common courtesy call when resuming the noise after any conversation or lull in the action.

- Limit the size of the group and know the players

- Upon arrival, observe others already present to see what sort of range discipline they exhibit. No good? No stay. Same for new arrivals. I can leave now and live to shoot another day.

- Take one newb at a time.

- Vehicles can break down. Bring only what can be carried out on foot or transferred to a buddy's vehicle. Anything left unattended will fall quickly into the possession of methheads.

- A couple gallons of water and an e-tool.

- Full first aid kit to pinch off arterial bleeding in the unlikely event of a tragic mishap.

Last Edited:
In general I don't have a problem with any rule that brings safety to even the lowest common denominator. People can be/are stupid sometimes. Rules on the range keep people alive. People go to the range to practice the skills to save their lives or the lives of their loved ones and develop confidence in their weapons and skills. My only problems come from rules of convenience.

An example is a limit of ten rounds for pistol and five for rifles. I know it can be a pain for people who shoot revolvers, single stacks, or micro pistols to wait on someone with a 15-17 round magazine. It can be considered another form of training. More time to drum in the lesson that reloads and magazine capacity is important. There are limits with some of the high cap magazines out there. But why 5 for rifles? Is it prejudice in favor of hunters? It's hamstrings most of the training drills I know. Even when I'm out there with my hunting rifle practicing/zeroing my rifle, I guarantee you that shooter with an AR is going to finish any amount of ammo in his magazine before I finish my 5 well aimed shots.

Ranges usually post a dozen or so rules for all to see/follow. But some good ones are not posted. Here's just a handful that feel like common sense to me:

- In unregulated pits, etc., I draw a line that no one steps across without calling an official cease fire. PERIOD. Very important when someone is focused on sighting in a rifle, another is plinking cans with a pistol and two more are throwing clays.

- "EARS!" Common courtesy call when resuming the noise after any conversation or lull in the action.

- Limit the size of the group and know the players

- Upon arrival, observe others already present to see what sort of range discipline they exhibit. No good? No stay. Same for new arrivals. I can leave now and live to shoot another day.

- Take one newb at a time.

- Vehicles can break down. Bring only what can be carried out on foot or transferred to a buddy's vehicle. Anything left unattended will fall quickly into the possession of methheads.

- A couple gallons of water and an e-tool.

- Full first aid kit to pinch off arterial bleeding in the unlikely event of a tragic mishap.

VERY good post!!!

I don't like the know it all and doesn't know really anything. Can we get a rule at all ranges for this?

I'm lucky in that the people at my range generally know way more then I do so I'm happy to listen.

Don't give small people (men or women) the biggest gun you own to start out with when teaching them how to shoot.

I'm lucky in that the people at my range generally know way more then I do so I'm happy to listen.

Don't give small people (men or women) the biggest gun you own to start out with when teaching them how to shoot.
Funny you should say that. I had my 16 year old daughter shooting a 12 gauge with 3" shells for her first time shooting.

I did however teach her and tell her about the recoil. Only thing she does not like is my S&W 642 air weight

Funny you should say that. I had my 16 year old daughter shooting a 12 gauge with 3" shells for her first time shooting.

I did however teach her and tell her about the recoil. Only thing she does not like is my S&W 642 air weight

Raised a great kid it sounds.

So many gun fails on YouTube with guns flying out of their hands or being thrown to the ground.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top