JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Default Sales of Orwell’s ’1984′ up 91 percent on Amazon list

If anybody here hasn't read it or at least watched the movie, what are you waiting for

Sales of Orwell’s ’1984′ up 91 percent on Amazon list

June 10, 2013 | 11:59 am

Sales of George Orwell’s ’1984′ are up 69 percent on Amazon, according to a list on the website.

The book’s 60th anniversary was on June 6th, amidst a flurry of real-world news stories on secret government surveillance.
Amazon lists the paperback version of the book as the nineteenth biggest book on the “Movers and Shakers” list. The current sales rank is 110.

The list identifies the biggest gainers in sales rank compared to twenty-four hours ago.

Update: As of 3:22 p.m. EST, sales of Orwell's '1984' are up 91 percent on the Amazon "Movers and Shakers list."

<broken link removed>

I think the reason it's a hot seller right now is a few main stream political commentators are using "Orwellian" for the first time to describe the current White House occupant. I know a long time ago I got curious what that term Orwellian meant and decided to find out. Atlas Shrugged is a bit long and slow to get to the point for me but I love the old interviews of Rand/Wallace and Rand/ Donahue on youtube.

Dont forget Animal Farm.............

I read this book and learned the political meaning afterwards. Partly because Orwell is easy to read, I've managed to read almost every novel he wrote. His political views differ from mine but I always liked the writing.

I gave his rules to people writing papers they had me proofread. Simple and effective.

Dont forget Animal Farm.............

The Seven Commandments:
1.Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
2.Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
3.No animal shall wear clothes.
4.No animal shall sleep in a bed.
5.No animal shall drink alcohol.
6.No animal shall kill any other animal.
7.All animals are equal.

It sounded fair in the beginning, didn't it?

I'd also suggest that you all read Atlas Shrugged by my new fav author Ayn Rand. It's a huge tome, and I fully admit to skipping over pages of it at a time in order to get past some of the more preachy parts. However, it's an incredible read. Parts of it seem like they're ripped from today's headlines, yet it was first published 56 years ago.

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

&#8212;Ayn Rand

I'm a fan of her philosophy of objectivism and laissez-faire capitalism. Some find it too harsh but I think it would create a better world.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top