JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SO I briefly tried a two stage in the store on one of those display housings. I had a hard time discerning both stages. Didn't know the brand listed. Still a little worried it might be too light, but I am going to take a small risk.

I think I am going to try the LaRue MBT-2S. It's $87 bucks and comes with an extra spring to take it from 4.5 to 6lbs total.

Anybody got any coupon codes for LaRue?

We stock almost all of those triggers mentioned in store...come feel them. Rise Armament, BCM, Elftman, CMC, Hiperfire, Wilson Combat, JP Rifles, Timney, Geiselle, POF and a few more.

This just makes it more confusing.

I've never used a two stage.

some thoughts in my head due to lack of understanding and experience with them.

though combined 4.5lbs, it's just two really light trigger pulls, so it wouldn't have the resistance I'm looking for

Reset would be weird

rapid fire would be more difficult.

what if I spend the $200+ and don't like it

Those are just some thing that go through my head when I think about a two stage.

I need to pickup some stuff at my local dealer today and he has a small trigger display. I'll see what he has for two stage and try.

so what makes a Geissele worth the money? I'm willing to spend it, but don't know if it's worth it.
I feel your pain. I also understand your thoughts on the CMC. I have one and it is light. It actually breaks at 2 3/4 pounds, not 3.5 like its advertised. There are many here suggesting the Geissele SSAE. Im going to go the other way and not suggest it. It too has a real "light" feel to it as far as im concerned. I run one in my precision Noveske, so i know what they are all about. They are excellent triggers, but if i were to suggest a trigger that i think you might like it would be the RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger. Right to bear arms generally always has them on sale for $79.00. At that price you arent out much, if you try it and decide you still dont want a 2 stage trigger. I run the RRA in 4 of my AR rifles and love them. This is coming from someone who is extremely picky when it comes to triggers. Oh, by the way, the larue mbt2s is also a very nice trigger. I gave away my last one to a buddy in alaska, who shoots competitively. He really likes it. Last i checked, they are $87 with about $9.00 shipping. Good luck with your search, and dont let the 2 stage trigger scare you off. Try it, you might just find out you really like it.

You guys are awesome as always, this is the store I was referring to.

I tried all the ones in the dummy grip things. , most were 3.5lbs and the 2 stage was a little more. Even The mil spec one felt much lighter than mine.

From what I could tell it looked like most on the wall were on the lighter side or mil spec.
I probably should have asked.
I did get my Geissele Super 42 and a CZ mag while I was there.

if something specific you think I should try, let me know, I will stop by again.
I'm also looking for a good ambi safety and leaning toward strike switch, but would like to try one

We stock almost all of those triggers mentioned in store...come feel them. Rise Armament, BCM, Elftman, CMC, Hiperfire, Wilson Combat, JP Rifles, Timney, Geiselle, POF and a few more.

Thanks I will look at that one

I feel your pain. I also understand your thoughts on the CMC. I have one and it is light. It actually breaks at 2 3/4 pounds, not 3.5 like its advertised. There are many here suggesting the Geissele SSAE. Im going to go the other way and not suggest it. It too has a real "light" feel to it as far as im concerned. I run one in my precision Noveske, so i know what they are all about. They are excellent triggers, but if i were to suggest a trigger that i think you might like it would be the RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger. Right to bear arms generally always has them on sale for $79.00. At that price you arent out much, if you try it and decide you still dont want a 2 stage trigger. I run the RRA in 4 of my AR rifles and love them. This is coming from someone who is extremely picky when it comes to triggers. Oh, by the way, the larue mbt2s is also a very nice trigger. I gave away my last one to a buddy in alaska, who shoots competitively. He really likes it. Last i checked, they are $87 with about $9.00 shipping. Good luck with your search, and dont let the 2 stage trigger scare you off. Try it, you might just find out you really like it.

I have used rock river 2 stage in all my builds. They are crisp 3 pounds
New build

looking for a 4.5-5lb trigger

I dropped some Kaw Valley Precision springs in other builds and worked great, but slightly worried about reliability and longevity so wanting to buy a nicer trigger.

I have a CMC 3.5lb in one of my other builds and it seems a little light.
I'm open, if it starts to get around the $200 range I'm guessing Geissele is the way to go, but hoping to get in for less.

Current options are hiperfire EDT, Velocity Classic, elf man forgot model

this for a general all around home defense, zombie apocalypse, fund range days.

thoughts?
E used Rock River 2 stage triggers in all my builds .

This thread took a turn. I have used two different POF triggers which i like a lot, and can be found around $200, if you look. I have also used timney, but found it too light.

I am also one that has never shot a two-stage rifle trigger. ... I much much much prefer not to have takeup in a trigger, especially a rifle trigger. ...
I'm really not trying to be pissy here but just asking a question to make a point and perhaps drive further conversation ...

If you have not tried a two-stage how do you know that you don't prefer it? I ask because I have encountered many (a few dozen perhaps) over the years that spoke as you did, and then actually used a two-stage. All switched and never looked back. I have not encountered any go the other direction, though I'm sure there are some out there as my sphere of contact compared to the entire world of shooters is pretty small!

I think the Glock example was not meant to be taken as a direct comparison to how a rifle's two-stage trigger acts and feels, but rather just a corollary if you will, so that the OP could have a better context regarding two-stage function. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong here! :D

Regarding Glock triggers does the initial take up actually begin loading the striker release system or is it just true takeup? Perhaps this question should be in a different thread.

I'm really not trying to be pissy here but just asking a question to make a point and perhaps drive further conversation ...

If you have not tried a two-stage how do you know that you don't prefer it? I ask because I have encountered many (a few dozen perhaps) over the years that spoke as you did, and then actually used a two-stage. All switched and never looked back. I have not encountered any go the other direction, though I'm sure there are some out there as my sphere of contact compared to the entire world of shooters is pretty small!

I think the Glock example was not meant to be taken as a direct comparison to how a rifle's two-stage trigger acts and feels, but rather just a corollary if you will, so that the OP could have a better context regarding two-stage function. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong here! :D

Regarding Glock triggers does the initial take up actually begin loading the striker release system or is it just true takeup? Perhaps this question should be in a different thread.

People say that kind of stuff when they really ARE trying to be pissy!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Spoke as I did??????????? ..... Never said I don't prefer it! I said I haven't tried one and that what I have works for me. Get it? It seems that you have taken my Glock statement to mean that I wouldn't like a two-stage trigger. Well, I don't know. I'd shoot one if somebody offered to let me try it... but I have zero interest in buying one to try it out!!!

I am also one that has never shot a two-stage rifle trigger.

1. My 10.5" AR that I use for home defense, plinking, and short IDPA stages sports an ALG-ACT trigger with JP Enterprises springs to lighten it up a bit.

2. My 18.5" AR that I use for varmint sports a 3.5lb Velocity trigger.

I find both to be satisfactory in meeting my goals at a reasonable price point.

Comparing my Glock trigger with the "takeup, wall, bang" to my former 2011 single stage trigger... I much much much prefer not to have takeup in a trigger, especially a rifle trigger. Just me.

Perhaps the Glock comparison was not apt... IDK. But I wasn't the one that mentioned it. What I do know is that I hate rifle triggers that have takeup. I've shot a number of them and I don't like it at all. I mean really really really don't like it. I will reject any rifle for purchase that has a trigger with takeup. I hate it!!! At one time I tried a Springfield O3A3 and it was the worst trigger ever! Just sloppy!!! My Ruger 77 has no takeup, and I've worked hard polishing it to get all the gritty out of the pull. Again... to be PERFECTLY CLEAR... that is just me. Unlike those pushing 2stage triggers, I have no agenda here and don't care what the OP winds up doing. It's strictly FWIW.

Regarding the Glock takeup, the vid below shows that there is some camming action before the trigger shoe starts moving the trigger arm to compress the striker spring. My Ruger SR9c has a Glock licensed trigger system, but has a surprise break with no wall... I don't know what the difference is... I still prefer my Para P14.45 customized single stage trigger with it's short pull.

Last Edited:
Sorry for my post, I was truly trying to be helpful since I've experienced so many who have been grateful learning of two-stage triggers. It was only offered as food for thought / conversation / idea generation. If I had meant to be pissy there would have been no doubt, just ask those here who know me personally! :)

I think we are confusing 'take-up' with 'slack' which are entirely different things. The first stage of a two-stage trigger is not slack … it feels different and operationally is different in how the mechanism if functioning. But no matter, we all have our preferences and the cool thing is that there are options out there to meet those preferences.

Cheers!

Y'all been scammed into thinking you need to blow a couple of hundred to get a decent trigger pull. There was a time, not too long ago you couldn't buy a whiz bang trigger, (gasp) but had to rely on a good gunsmith. ar15.net had an article on how you could get a pretty good trigger pull with stock parts with a minimum of skill and time invested. What I found was, if you had a selection of "extras" you could actually improve on that by selectively changing out hammers and triggers until you had the best set.
A little ingenuity goes a long ways

I think we are confusing 'take-up' with 'slack' which are entirely different things. The first stage of a two-stage trigger is not slack … it feels different and operationally is different in how the mechanism if functioning.

Cheers!

Ok. I have no idea what the "proper" terms are that a real bona-fide gunsmith or trigger afficianado would use... I was only trying to express that I don't like what you are calling "slack".

Was the Glock vid helpful to your understanding of how the Glock mechanism is functioning? And that there is apparently some "slack" in the mechanism. It would be interesting for me to look at my Glock to see if that vid is a good representation, but that is not the subject here.

Regards,

bb

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews