JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree, I don't like slack either! :D On my single stage hunting rifles I too spent a great deal of time cleaning up the triggers and removing all possible slack!

The Glock video was helpful, thank you. I was pretty sure that some of the initial trigger pull "pre-loaded, if you will" the mechanism, and it seems that this is the case.

So .....

Shall we discuss over-travel now? <ducking> :rolleyes:

The Glock video was helpful, thank you. I was pretty sure that some of the initial trigger pull "pre-loaded, if you will" the mechanism, and it seems that this is the case.

So .....

Shall we discuss over-travel now? <ducking>

My understanding is that the striker is pre-loaded by the slide movement during recoil. Then the trigger finishes the loading and releases the striker.

Over-travel discussion... errrrrrr, no. :D

Agreed, I have used them on other builds, but not sure about reliability, light primer. Never had a problem, but want to be sure on this rifle and build it a little nicer.

In fact, I was a little annoyed because I am working on one of the AeroPrecision M4E1 I got from you guys and bought and AP build kit and the pins don't match, same with castle nut and backplate. The lower is dark black and the other stuff is like a grey black. Already picked up a few parts there, but need to get some others that match.
For $12, the JP spring kit does a real nice job of cleaning up a mil spec trigger, that an little polishing on all the metal contact surfaces.

Agreed, I have used them on other builds, but not sure about reliability, light primer. Never had a problem, but want to be sure on this rifle and build it a little nicer.

In fact, I was a little annoyed because I am working on one of the AeroPrecision M4E1 I got from you guys and bought and AP build kit and the pins don't match, same with castle nut and backplate. The lower is dark black and the other stuff is like a grey black. Already picked up a few parts there, but need to get some others that match.

For my ALG-ACT trigger, I used a combo of the light trigger spring and the high-reliability hammer spring... seems to work well for a GP rifle.

I've always used the term in a general way...pre-travel , slack...call it Aunt Ethels Pancakes for that matter...

I have a drill where I have the students...Sights On, Slack Up...meaning sights on the target, take up the trigger til its on the sear ready to break.

Have a ALG ACT I installed their purple spring that dropped a pound down to 4.5. Good for the money not a crisp trigger at all but hard to beat at price point.
Have a Geissele SSP it's a quick trigger single-stage that feel like two stage. it's 3 pounds pull.
Also have a Geissele SD-E great trigger about 4 pounds pull.
Newest one is a Trigger Tech very crisp and fast almost no over or pre travel at 3.5 pounds.

I wait to buy the Geissele on sale usually get them for $160-$180. Brownells has sold the Geissele GS-2 for real good prices a few times just have to watch.

ALG. Under $75 for a Geissele basically.

My recommendation as well. The G in ALG is Geiselle, as in Mrs. Geiselle. The ALG comes with a light and a medium spring. IIRC the medium is 4.5 lbs. It's a GI trigger that has been nicely polished and very crisp. As a GI trigger is will also be very reliable. By far by favorite single stage AR trigger.

If you are looking 2 stage with good combat/self defense tuning then I'd suggest a Geiselle SSA-E.

I prefer the single stage trigger, and the lighter the better for me, but the Geissele makes an excellent 2 stage trigger.
The 2 stage trigger is probably a better choice for some people, possibly the ones who are fairly new to shooting, whereas it may cut down on the dreaded AD. the choice is purely personal for each person and there is no wrong answer except staying with milspec.
Enjoy all your comments

So, I ordered the LaRue Tactical 2 stage for $87

I did so based on most of the recommendations here.

The deciding factor was the extra spring that could take it to 6 pounds and the fact that is wasn't a $200 risk for a Geissele 2 stage.

If I don't like it, I can start the search for a single stage.

Negative! A 2-stage is on every military rifle since the 1800's precisely because it's a practical design that allows safe and accurate manipulation in stress situations such as you state above.

A secondary bonus is that you can set one up in such a way that it really improves precision shooting, which is why the vast majority of competitive shooters use them. At least in the competitions that require a heavier trigger. If you are shooting a two or three pound trigger a single stage could be better depending on your personal tastes.

Once you get really light you see a lot of two-stage triggers again. My Walther 10-meter air rifle has a 500 gram trigger and it's a two stage (and I love it by the way).

I'm sure some will disagree, but for me if I wanted a practical trigger in the 4.5 pound range I'd opt for a two stage every time (which by the way describes my match AR and M1 … 4.5 pound two-stage triggers).

I hope this helps!

PS, the vast majority of folks I've met over the years that prefer a single stage have admitted when asked that they have never really handled a quality two stage set up. For what ever that is worth!

The second longest serving service rifle is the 1873 Trapdoor rifle and carbine. It did not have a two stage trigger.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top