JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New build

looking for a 4.5-5lb trigger

I dropped some Kaw Valley Precision springs in other builds and worked great, but slightly worried about reliability and longevity so wanting to buy a nicer trigger.

I have a CMC 3.5lb in one of my other builds and it seems a little light.
I'm open, if it starts to get around the $200 range I'm guessing Geissele is the way to go, but hoping to get in for less.

Current options are hiperfire EDT, Velocity Classic, elf man forgot model

this for a general all around home defense, zombie apocalypse, fund range days.

thoughts?

So I looked at a review for the ALG and it seemed just slightly heavier than I would like.
Same with the Larue at 5.5 to 6.
But both of those are good options if I don't find anything g else I like.

titsonritz, is there a certain time for Geissele sales? Or just different places having sales?

Edit: I just read about the ALG purple spring which takes it to 4.5lbs.

Last Edited:
ALG. Under $75 for a Geissele basically.

:s0140: Apparently you have not compared an ALG side-by-side a Geissele, it's not even close. The ALG ACT, BCM PNT and SIONICS EMT are all basically the same trigger, a cleaned up single stage mil-spec treated with Nickel-Boron, Nickel-Teflon and Np3 respectively and all three quality and are a massive improvement over a standard mil-spec trigger, but they are not in the same league as Geissele triggers, for one thing most of G triggers are double stage. ALG stands for Amy Lynn Geissele (Bill Geissele's wife) and is a sister company to most Geissele Automatics, the same manufacturing and engineering teams are used to produce more cost effective alternatives to GA.

So I looked at a review for the ALG and it seemed just slightly heavier than I would like.
Same with the Larue at 5.5 to 6.
But both of those are good options if I don't find anything g else I like.

titsonritz, is there a certain time for Geissele sales? Or just different places having sales?

Edit: I just read about the ALG purple spring which takes it to 4.5lbs.

The LaRue MBT-2S is a double stage and most comparable to Geissele, it breaks at 4.5 lbs (2.5 lb first stage, 2 lb second stage).

Geissele typical goes on sale during the major holidays, 4th of July, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Black Friday, Christmas/New Years. Also check out Primary Arms during those times.

I think I want to stay single stage.
I know you were talking to other poster, but I personally have not used a geissele. I might be willing to spend that much if necessary , but not sure I need to and I mostly want a single stage for the way I plan to use the rifle.

the CMC I have is nice, but like I said I feel like 3.5 is a little light for my liking. Cool thing is I contacted them and if I send it in they will adjust it for me. But that's already on another rifle.

Based on posts, I might be leaning towards the ALG.

It's an all around, home defense, range, zombies and would like to do some practical rifle competitions.

my understanding is 2 stage is more for precision shooting.

Negative! A 2-stage is on every military rifle since the 1800's precisely because it's a practical design that allows safe and accurate manipulation in stress situations such as you state above.

A secondary bonus is that you can set one up in such a way that it really improves precision shooting, which is why the vast majority of competitive shooters use them. At least in the competitions that require a heavier trigger. If you are shooting a two or three pound trigger a single stage could be better depending on your personal tastes.

Once you get really light you see a lot of two-stage triggers again. My Walther 10-meter air rifle has a 500 gram trigger and it's a two stage (and I love it by the way).

I'm sure some will disagree, but for me if I wanted a practical trigger in the 4.5 pound range I'd opt for a two stage every time (which by the way describes my match AR and M1 … 4.5 pound two-stage triggers).

I hope this helps!

PS, the vast majority of folks I've met over the years that prefer a single stage have admitted when asked that they have never really handled a quality two stage set up. For what ever that is worth!

It's an all around, home defense, range, zombies and would like to do some practical rifle competitions.

my understanding is 2 stage is more for precision shooting.

Not so much.

Here is a description of the SSA...

The Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA®) trigger is a semi-automatic only version of Geissele Automatics's Super Select-Fire trigger. The SSA is a non-adjustable combat trigger that is a precision two-stage trigger and allows precise and accurate trigger control. The SSA's two-stage design allows the trigger to be light enough for accurate and precise shots, but forgiving enough for CQB. The SSA is safety certified by Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center. It is recommended for demanding applications such as Law Enforcement use, Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and mid-range carbine work.

I have both SSA and SSA-E triggers on my serious use guns and have run multiple carbine classes with them.

Here is a description of the SSP...

The Single-Stage Precision (SSP) is Geissele Automatics' first true single-stage trigger for the AR Platform. This drop-in trigger has no take up and a super clean break. The reset is short yet still distinct, giving excellent feedback to the shooter during target engagement. Combining these two capabilities provides the shooter with the confidence necessary when precision and accuracy are essential for the task at hand.

The SSP features superior materials and the most modern manufacturing techniques. The SSP trigger is made from S7 Tool Steel and precision machined from the latest wire EDM technology. All parts are finished in durable corrosion resistant black oxide. The Geissele SSP is a precision trigger, engineered for maximum reliability and repeatability while engaging targets at long distance, whether it's being used during duty, hunting or target shooting.

Last Edited:
This just makes it more confusing.

I've never used a two stage.

some thoughts in my head due to lack of understanding and experience with them.

though combined 4.5lbs, it's just two really light trigger pulls, so it wouldn't have the resistance I'm looking for

Reset would be weird

rapid fire would be more difficult.

what if I spend the $200+ and don't like it

Those are just some thing that go through my head when I think about a two stage.

I need to pickup some stuff at my local dealer today and he has a small trigger display. I'll see what he has for two stage and try.

so what makes a Geissele worth the money? I'm willing to spend it, but don't know if it's worth it.

Last Edited:
The concept of Two- Stage does confuse people.
It is not the drama of a set trigger.
It is almost better not to mention it at all.
They just work.

ETA
My Glock triggers could be termed Two Stage triggers.
Takeup - Wall - Bang
No drama.

Last Edited:
Competition Highpower rifle shooters use 2 stage triggers. Due to the minimum 4.5 pound requirement
for a 'Service Rifle' class. The Geissele triggers are the most common and of the highest quality. Competition
shooters do a lot of dry fire practice. Geissele triggers are exspensive but will NEVER wear out. The springs will
need to be replaced after 20K uses but the hammer and sear surfaces last forever. Also they have faster lock
time that will make the rifle shoot tighter groups.
DSC00193.JPG

This just makes it more confusing.

I've never used a two stage.

some thoughts in my head due to lack of understanding and experience with them.

though combined 4.5lbs, it's just two really light trigger pulls, so it wouldn't have the resistance I'm looking for

Reset would be weird

rapid fire would be more difficult.

what if I spend the $200+ and don't like it

Those are just some thing that go through my head when I think about a two stage.

I need to pickup some stuff at my local dealer today and he has a small trigger display. I'll see what he has for two stage and try.

so what makes a Geissele worth the money? I'm willing to spend it, but don't know if it's worth it.

You need to lose those preconceived notions, they not accurate at all. Two stage triggers do not require two separate pulls like many think, as far rapid fire you just push through it and don't even notice the separate stages. You will only notice the second stage when making a precision shot, where you'll have take-up, a slight wall of increased resistance and pop, if the decision is made not to take the shot, let up at the wall, it is very forgiving despite he their light weight.

What makes Geissele worth the money? They are badass and the only double stage AR trigger I'm aware of that is combat proven and adopted by SOCOM. I have (2) SSA's, an SSA-E, an SSP and a Hi-Speed NM DMR, plus I sold off a SD-C (didn't care for the flat bow) that is well over a grand in triggers and I haven't paid full price for any of them. The least expensive was my first SSA triggers for $156, I would not have gone any further if I didn't think they weren't worth it. That said I will repeat, the LaRue offerings are the best $ for $ trigger on currently on the market, they are 85-90% of a Geissele at a third of the cost. If you would like to experience a quality two-stage trigger without diving into the deep end with a Geissele, LaRue is the way to go at $87. Coo-coo LaRue is basically at war with Bill Geissele and is intentionally under cutting him, thank goodness for competition.

ALG or LaRue.....solid triggers, to be sure. I've got ALG's on two rifles, really like them. One is a PCC, and it works fantastic.

I've got CMC's on two of my other rifles, didn't find them too light, but to each his own.

I am also one that has never shot a two-stage rifle trigger.

1. My 10.5" AR that I use for home defense, plinking, and short IDPA stages sports an ALG-ACT trigger with JP Enterprises springs to lighten it up a bit.

2. My 18.5" AR that I use for varmint sports a 3.5lb Velocity trigger.

I find both to be satisfactory in meeting my goals at a reasonable price point.

Comparing my Glock trigger with the "takeup, wall, bang" to my former 2011 single stage trigger... I much much much prefer not to have takeup in a trigger, especially a rifle trigger. Just me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top