JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although I did not read all of the posts, I have had the issue you describe.
I found that I had over charged the tumbler with too much brass for the amount of steel shot.
This just makes the brass tumble against itself.

Try reducing the amount of brass. (2 to 2.5 lbs)

Also I use a drop of Dawn and a teaspoon of Jet-Dry
3 hr run time

Might work for you.

I stopped by Harbor freight yesterday and looked at the double drum wet tumbler. Is seams to be to small in my opinion.
I still haven't found my motor drive for my frankfort tumbler, but I haven't really looked to hard. I might be buying another one. The old lady tosses stuff that she has no idea what it is or goes to.

Last Edited:
I have no clue, but I imagine it couldn't hurt. I do as you do, once I am done tumbling I rinse well. I pour the brass and pins into an old colander and initial rinse with the sprayer. (I set the colander on an old cookie sheet so the pins don't go through the colander holes and down my drain). Then I let the water run (just past trickle) while I pull all the brass out, and ensure there are no pins inside the brass, and quick rinse each.

Once I have all the brass and pins separated I rinse the pins off. I then put the pins in a Tupperware type container, add Dawn dish soap and fill with water just above the pins. That is what I store the pins in. I don't want them drying "funny" and start to rust. I do notice that the water will be grey'ish after about the 3rd or 4th batch of brass cleaning. I will run water in the container, add dish soap every once in a while, and thoroughly mix the pins until the water remains clear. Then I add dish soap and let set.

After every batch of brass run in the tumbler, I clean the tumbler too. Leave one of the end-caps on, add Dawn, and lightly run an old scrubber pad/sponge (combo) over the inside surfaces of the tumbler. Rinse and repeat until the water in the tumbler comes out clean.

I know, I know..... I need a brass/pin separator. :oops:

Wow! That's a lot of work. I'm only using the Harbor Fright twin drums because I do small batches. As in 60rds of 223 in each drum. One hour run time max. But the pins are stainless steel. Why do you think they'll rust?
Try this for a separator.
Screen.JPG
Range pick ups. Before and after. One hour run time.
223 B&A.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads